Wizarding World of Harry Potter / Islands of Adventure Trip Report

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2010, 09:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My sister and I and our two teens, both 17, (one boy, one girl) went to IOA/WWHP on Wed, Aug 18. Both kids are BIG Harry Potter fans, having grown up with the books. We adults enjoyed them, too, so we were all excited to go to the WWHP portion of IOA.

We stayed at the Loews Royal Pacific Resort on the Universal property. If at all possible STAY AT A HOTEL ON UNIVERSAL PROPERTY (there are three from which to choose). The very important benefits are 1) early admission to the park and 2) “front of the line” privileges. The hotel is lovely with a huge, fabulous pool area. There is an Emeril Lagasse restaurant on property that is a bit pricey (we did not eat there), but the décor is beautiful, so be sure to take a peak inside. Our room was spacious with two queen beds. It had a mini-fridge that was, of course, stocked with expensive goodies and beverages. We went to a Whole Foods market a short drive from the hotel (ask the staff for directions) to get “grab & go” items for breakfast. We put the items in the fridge and put the goodies and beverages into a nearby drawer. Then we just left a note for the staff that we had moved the items, but had used nothing.

We got up early to take advantage of the early admission. Even the teens were willing to get up early. We left the hotel around 7:20 am and walked to IOA. I had purchased and printed our tickets online and about half way there, I realized I had forgotten the tickets in our room! So I raced back to get them. We still made it to IOA in plenty of time, around 7:45 am. We got right into the park with no wait. The room keys from Loews Royal Pacific Resort act as your early admission and your “front of the line” Express Pass. Each room key has one person’s name on it. When you go in through the gate, they scan your ticket and your fingerprint. This is so no one can leave and then give their ticket to someone else to use for the rest of the day.

We went straight to WWHP, bypassing everything else along the way. Through my online research I knew that the line for Olivander’s was the longest of all, so we went there first thing. Yes, it was already blazing hot outside and the line was about 45 minutes long. Both kids would definitely say it was worth it. You go into Olivander’s Wand Shop in groups of about 10-12 people. After everyone is in, the costumed “wand guy” chooses one person from the group for whom he “picks” a wand to suit that person. Or for you HP fans, the wand chooses the person. From my research, I had read that you shouldn’t be shy about moving front and center of the group. That’s what we did and my son was the “chosen one!” The process of the wand choosing took about 3 minutes (of which we have a great video) and was very entertaining. Of course, he (more accurately, I) purchased the wand that chose him. All wands are $30. The shop next to Olivanders, Dervish and Bange, is small and crowded. You can purchase postcards and have them postmarked from Hogsmeade. The postmarking happens right outside Dervish and Banges in the shade of the Owlry. Because we stayed on site, we could have our purchases sent to our hotel room. But they wouldn’t arrive until 9 the next morning and we would be gone by then. Anyone can have their purchases sent to the front of the park for pickup on your way out. It takes about 2-3 hours for them to show up at the big shop near the front gate of the park. It is nice not to have to carry around bags and wand boxes the whole day.

A very popular item to purchase is a chocolate frog from Honeyduke’s Sweet Shop for $10. The chocolate tastes horrible. My niece couldn’t even finish it (and she loves chocolate). It’s just really cheaply made chocolate. But the packaging is pretty cool, just like the movies.

Hogsmeade village is spectacularly recreated from the books and movies. The perspective of the castle is amazing. It looks much larger than it really is. Scattered throughout the village are moving posters and pictures. The shop windows contain “magic” items like quills that write by themselves, instruments that play themselves and mandrake plants that move and squeal. The attention to detail is flawless. Even the park employees do a good job of “playing the part.” My son wanted to purchase a Griffindor sweater vest he saw an employee wearing. When he asked “Where did you get that?” the reply was, “I go to school here.” (rather than, “I work here.”) Unfortunately the sweater vest was not available to the general public.

After Dervish and Banges we went straight to the Forbidden Journey. This is the one WWHP ride for which the Express Pass does not apply. The sign indicated a 45 minute wait, but I think we got through in about 30 minutes. We actually felt a bit rushed because the waiting line is a big part of the ride. It is FABULOUS and very true to the books and movies.

We ate lunch at the Three Broomsticks at about 11:20 to beat the noon rush. By this time the park was REALLY crowded. But our wait to sit at the Three Broomsticks was only about 10 minutes. Sorry to say, the food is pretty awful. I had the pasties. My son had the shepherd’s pie which was a bit better. But the butter beer was sooo yummy! You can get it in a souvenir cup for a bit extra $. The frozen butter beer (more like a slushy than frozen solid) was a delicious dessert.

When we went on the Dragon Challenge ride, the posted wait was 60 minutes. With our Express Passes, we walked right up to the head of the line. The line divides into two lines: those who want to be in the front row of the ride and everyone else. The reason to be in the front row of the ride is because at one point the two dragons (roller coasters) of the ride look as if they will collide, so that thrill is exaggerated if you are in the front row of the ride. It’s pretty awesome. Just the teens went on the Flight of the Hippogriff ride, and they said it was “pretty lame,” but might be enjoyed by younger kids.

By 2 pm were tired and hot, so we decided to walk back to the hotel for a bit of a break (another benefit of staying at an on site hotel). We were at the hotel for only about an hour, but it helped us recharge and cool off.

Going back to the park, we took the water taxi which was a fun way to travel. We explored the rest of IOA, going through the Marvel Comics area (the 3-D Spiderman ride is terrific), Jurassic Park and Poseidon’s Fury. We also went on the Incredible Hulk ride which was mind-blowing! I did it just once, but the teens went several times. The Express Pass cut a posted 50 minute wait time down to about 3 minutes.

We ate supper at Mythos which is billed as the “best theme park restaurant 6 years in a row.” We agree! The food was fabulous and the restaurant décor is quite interesting.

We went back to the Forbidden Journey ride because we wanted to take our time, letting others pass us, so we could fully take in each and every detail of the waiting line. Before actually getting on the ride portion, my sister and I were able to exit and not go on the ride (she gets motion sick).

By this time it was quite dark out and the castle and shop windows were lit up beautifully. It was so fun to see it all at night. The printed information about the park said it closed at 9 pm. But it was after 9 and still open. I asked an employee and she said they have planned to close at 9 for the past several weeks, but they continue to be so busy, they are staying open until 10 pm. We stayed until the park closed, walked back to the hotel and spent about an hour lazing in the hotel pool (which closed at 11 pm).

All-in-all, it was a fabulous day at an amazing theme park. Yes, it is crowded. Yes, it is hot. Wear sunscreen, wear a hat, wear comfortable shoes, bring a water bottle and a spray mister. Enjoy every detail. Let yourself be swept up in the fantasy. You won’t regret it.
Old Aug 25th, 2010, 02:53 AM

Sounds like a great trip. Thanks for posting.
Old Aug 25th, 2010, 03:58 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Great trip report. Thanks for all of the details. Headed that way in April.
Old Aug 25th, 2010, 06:22 AM

Thanks so much for the report. You've convinced me to take my "little boy" who is a big Harry Potter fan. He's 58 HEHEHE.
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 11:17 AM

Great trip report. I've been dying to go. We were at Universal during Hurricane Charlie years ago and we also stayed at a Universal hotel. I agree- -the no line feature associated with staying on site was well worth it.

Your report really helped me picture the experience. Thanks.
Old Jan 4th, 2011, 09:01 PM

topping
Old Jul 25th, 2011, 07:10 PM

EXCELLENT review
Old Jul 25th, 2011, 07:57 PM

ttt