Search

With 2 days in Reno/Tahoe, what to see?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9th, 2003, 11:06 AM
cd
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With 2 days in Reno/Tahoe, what to see?

Business will take us here but we will have 2 days to explore. We will have the evening of the 11th for Reno and all day the 12th for Tahoe. What would you suggest? Any waterfront dining? (we will have on jeans)What route numbers to drive for beauty?
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 11:22 AM

We were there last year and stayed at the Eldoardo (downtown) We really enjoyed the Bistro Roxy restaurant and lounge there (no jeans, though) . Also, the Eldorado is connected to 2 other hotels (Silver Legacy and Circus Circus) so you can walk through them all and stop for drinks/ gambling/whatever you like at many different places. We also went to Tahoe- I can't remember the name of the road but it was the scenic route- very windy and HIGH elevation. Coming from Reno it will lead you to the N. end of the lake (by the Hyatt) we went around starting on the Nevada side and stopped in S. Lake Tahoe and took the Gondala ride up Heavenly Mountain- GREAt Views (we were there in early Sept., though so no snow and very pleasant weather) Also, on the CA side we stopped for lunch at Jakes on the Lake (this is the same Co. that owns Hula Grill in Maui and Dukes, etc in Hawaii) - excellent views - directly on the water and there is indoor dining with views and they have Hula Pie, too! Don't miss that! Have fun!
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 11:24 AM

If the weather permits, I would suggest a drive around the lake, stoping along the way to take in the views and check things out. Tahoe City is a nice little town on the west side of the lake. I don't have any waterfront dining recommendations, but Tahoe is a pretty laid back place so you shouldn't have any problems wearing jeans anywhere you want to go.
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 11:30 AM

Garwoods is great for waterfront dining. Casual is fine. Be sure to have a "wet woody". It's on the North West corner of the lake.
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 11:34 AM
cd
Original Poster

Thanks travelingirl and J Correa!
Would we have time to drive thru Virginia City? Asking too much?
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 11:36 AM
cd
Original Poster

Thanks Patrick, and a Wet Woody would be?
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 11:55 AM

Wet Woody is a rum drink that is fairly potent. Subject to extreme brain feeze if consumed during the winter though!

Also owned by the Hula Grill Folks is Sunnyside Resort (near Tahoe City) which is on the lake. Great for lunch or dinner with terrific views. Can order hula pie!

With just short time don't go to Virginia City nor drive around the lake. The drive is not what it used to be and with the snow parts of the road may be closed. Great idea is Tahoe City which is nice little town.

Also great is Lone Eagle Grill at the Hyatt (in Incline) which is on the lake side of the street. Good view in a "library" type setting. Nice irish coffee on a cold afternoon perhaps?

Since you're coming from Reno the best views for the time will be the north and west. Unfortunately going east you're view is cut off for ahwile because the road veers eastward away from the lake until you get closer to the south shore.
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 01:00 PM
cd
Original Poster

Suzie
Sounds like a Wet Woody will, for sure, be ordered!
Thanks for the north, west information.
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 01:13 PM

Just to clarify, Garwoods is in Carnelian Bay which is between Tahoe City and Incline (to use the more well-known towns as reference points). Here's a link. http://www.garwoods.com/

Had an amazing dinner there this summer and a great lunch one other time. We mostly stop there for Wet Woody Wednesday. The Wet Woodys are 1/2 price!!!
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 08:00 PM

Some things to do in Reno:

National Automobile Museum
Fleishmann Planetarium
Virginia City day trip
Walk along the Truckee River

Dining:
Great buffets at Harrahs, Eldorado, and Silver Legacy. Excellent Italian Restaurant (Cafe Andreotti) at Harrahs.

http://renolaketahoe.com/

Things to do in Tahoe:

Drive around the Lake
Great buffet on 18th floor of Harrahs
Take the ski lift to the top of the mountain at Heavanly for a great view
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 08:04 PM

On the way to Lake Tahoe from Reno you'll want to go over Mount Rose for the best views. Take 395 south to 431 for Mt. Rose.
Old Dec 10th, 2003, 06:29 AM
cd
Original Poster

Thanks Hann for the directions!
Old Dec 10th, 2003, 06:52 AM

Just make sure you check road conditions!!!! They have a winter storm warning for the great Tahoe area today and more snow for this weekend. Friday might be partly cloudy but I don't know if all the roads will be open! Check before you go but a drive around the lake is my favorite thing to do.

Utahtea
Old Dec 10th, 2003, 07:09 AM
cd
Original Poster

Thanks Utahtea, I was hoping to escape the snow!
Old Dec 10th, 2003, 07:16 AM

cd,

I really don't think that's going to happen...but it should be beautiful!!!!

Utahtea
Old Dec 10th, 2003, 07:31 AM
cd
Original Poster

Utahtea
We'll be heading to Elko on Sunday. Tell me what you know about this little town. Would Salt Lake City airport have been better to fly into?
Old Dec 10th, 2003, 07:57 AM

I'm not Utahtea, but I spent a couple days in Elko about 10 years ago. There wasn't much to the town. The drive from Reno to Elko will be long, but then so would the drive from SLC to Elko. Things are just far apart in Nevada.
Old Dec 10th, 2003, 08:34 AM
cd
Original Poster

J Correa
Hopefully the snow won't make it longer. Thank you.
Old Dec 10th, 2003, 04:40 PM

If the weather is marginal, you probably want to stick to the lower elevations to avoid snow. You can make a reasonable loop through Carson City (nice museum in the old Mint downtown) and Virginia City.

I would listen to local radio/TV news for updated road conditions and weather forecast. It depends a bit on your comfort level when driving snowy/icy roads. From the current conditions, I wouldn't count on being able to drive around the lake (at least not without chains) in the next couple of days, but you could probably go up via Truckee/Tahoe City and then down around the east shore this Friday without too much problem ( a lot depends on the snow level ). Hwy 431 and 267 at the north end of the lake tend to have more snow and ice than the other routes in. I think the most likely to be clear route would be to take I-80 to Truckee and then go down on 89 to Tahoe City.
Old Dec 10th, 2003, 05:59 PM

Elko, Nevada...is a cute little town. My first experience was 30 years ago when our car broke down there on the way to Yellowstone. I know it's almost as far from Reno as it is from Salt Lake because they said it would take one whole day to get parts from either location...luckly they found something they could adapt to our vehicle and we were on our way after only spending the night.

Nearby is the Ruby Mountains and they are beautiful with snow on them. The town has grown up since we got stranded there. On the east side of town are shopping centers...nothing really big. The old part of town is quaint and the railroad tracks run right down the middle of it.

It's 230 miles from SLC to Elko and 290 from Reno to Elko but looking at the weekly forcast...you probably made the right choice on Reno. Looks like the snow there is moving west and would be hanging around SLC on Monday.

I know everyone thinks Nevada is a desert but it does get it's fair share of snow. Please take chains!

Utahtea

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -