Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Wish to avoid families with children during Presidents' Week (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/wish-to-avoid-families-with-children-during-presidents-week-216942/)

Kayla Dec 21st, 2001 06:58 AM

Wish to avoid families with children during Presidents' Week

Where can some single girls go during Presidents' Week 2/17-2/24 where mostly adults will be? I know that week is the time most children are off from school, but my friend is a teacher's aid and must go that week. Not interested in adults only resorts, they are usually filled with married couples, and did Cancun last year. Please suggest a cool spot for singles and no kids. Thanks!

x Dec 21st, 2001 07:20 AM

Why not try Key West, the weather should be great and you're going before most spring breakers go. Or try South Pardre Island, I went there last year and it was a blast, although they may have more teenagers there but still it was a happening spot.

Carol Dec 21st, 2001 07:45 AM

Kayla, my husband and I can relate to this question. We have three grandsons (we had them when we were 12 , ha ha) Anyway, during presidents weeks we choose to stay clear of the little rug rats (I love them though). We have been going to Florida every year. One reason is the Miami boat show is that weeks. Not that I am looking or anything, but I must say there are some great looking men in Miami that week. They are either lookers, buyers, or exhibitors. Very pleasent to the eyes for single ladies. During the day the beach is clean and nice and the clubs hop at night. <BR><BR>Ft Lauderdale is another place to be. It is not the rowdie Lauderdale of the past, but it is warm and friendly. Shooters during the day. Las Olas Blvd. is upscale and I really did not see a bunch of kids milling around. Voodoo at night or any of the bars near Riverview.<BR><BR>We made our daughter a deal (also a school teacher)- Next year she can escape without the three kids and we will stay home and watch them.<BR><BR>We have always taken the time to spend two or three days in the keys. There are not that many kids around either but the place hops.<BR><BR>We take about two to three weeks in Feb. to go to Florida and have never been bothered by the President Week kids. It is spring break when we stay home. Easter by the way is early this year.<BR><BR>The only other thing I can suggest is a three day cruise. Good luck

Jane Dec 21st, 2001 07:55 AM

I know what you mean, I have nieces and nephews who always go somewhere during that week. A cruise will have tons of kids on it, though. Stay away from Carnival as it is a magnet for families traveling on the cheap. How about SoCal?<BR>Too big for families to congregate and filled with trendy clubs, restaurants and men. <BR><BR>Hey, this sounds like fun, I should ring up my gal pals and join ya!!

Susan Dec 21st, 2001 08:03 AM

If California is in the cards I'd suggest either the Napa valley wine country or southern California, particulary Manhattan Beach. In Napa you can indulge in spa treatments, mud baths, etc., wine taste and eat at some great restaurants. In Calistoga there seemed to be a bit of nightlife with singles. Downtown Napa would probably be more hopping.<BR><BR>Manhattan Beach is a singles town, loaded with restaurants, bars and beautiful people milling about. Not many lodging options near the beach though. You could stay at the Beach House in Hermosa Beach, just south of Manhattan and right on the sand. It's a beautiful area, lots of tanned and lovely singles riding their bikes, roller blading, etc.

Jason Dec 21st, 2001 08:18 AM

Damn that sounds awesome maybe I should move to California! <BR>Seriously I think all the previous ideas are good and I run into the same problem because my girlfriend works for our local school and she always has to take some vac days when the kids are out. We made the mistake of going to Fla last year and it was rugrat heaven. She was about to blow a gasket because she felt like she was at work, so we ended up driving down to the keys and it was less kids milling around.

Bill Dec 21st, 2001 08:21 AM

How about one of the out Islands of the Bahamas? I don't think you will find too many families there. Check on the Caribean Board for more info. Stay away from Nassau, especially Atlantis Resort.

Barbara Dec 21st, 2001 08:36 AM

Our school district does not have a week off for "Presidents' Week". When did that start? Our kids are off on Feb.15 and 18, making a long weekend. So you would be pretty safe in San Diego.

Dawn Ct Dec 21st, 2001 08:39 AM

How about an all inclusive adults only resort such as the Superclubs in Jamaica or the Club Meds for adults only.