Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Chicago restaurant: Nine or Morton's (Wacker)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21st, 2005, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arranging dinner for a couple of European journalists for next Monday (during the big medical convention). Have narrowed it down to two: Morton's (on Wacker) or Nine. The German reporter wants steak; the Italian, not sure. Which would be a better bet? Am more interested in quality of food and service, not huge portions. Need to be reasonably close to their hotel (Swissotel). Also not interested in any sports theme place. Price not an issue (expense account dinner).

Have read the Metromix reviews and both have their pluses and minuses. Other suggestions welcome, but am NOT interested in Hugo's Frog Bar (we did that a couple of years ago and had to stand for nearly an hour at the bar, even though we had confirmed reservations), Smith & Wollensky, Ruth's Chris, etc. We did Bin 36 last year and enjoyed the food, wine and service, but it was simply too loud.

Thanks!
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 09:29 AM

Have you considered Keefers? At State and Hubbard so not far from Swiss Hotel(I think, I always walk). That is a pleasant atmosphere and steak as well as other contemporary American food. I have done much business entertaining there and I like it. Tables not too close, noise not too loud.
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Yes, that was my third choice. Again, mixed reviews from metromix; the last was negative.
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 09:53 AM

We have always been able to count on Mortons for a wonderful dinner and timely seating.

Business and pleasure!
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 10:21 AM
JJ5

Mortons
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Why would Morton's be superior to Nine or Keefer's? The decor and ambience at Nine seems to be more in keeping with their taste (European journalists, mid 30s). And one of them may not want steak.
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 10:56 AM
JJ5

They are Europeans experiencing Chicago-probably for a short period of time.

My opinion:
Steak is more Chicago. Morton's is more Chicago. If you can most easily get Italian food in Italy and it's right on your own continent, you don't need to get it in Chicago. They'll want steak where it's great. It's great at Morton's.

Don't know any Europeans, and I have tons of European relatives- that do not want a good steak.

The others are fine, but I think Morton's would go over better.
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 11:44 AM

I liked both of my meals at Nine which is a short cab ride away from the Swissotel. The decor seemed very trendy and "New York" to me and my former boss, who hailed from the East Coast, just loves the place. The portions are not the huge, over the top, Chicago size portions like you will find at Morton's or Gibson's.

I only went to Keefer's once, has to be at least 2-3 years ago though, and the food was so bad you'd have a hard time getting me to return.

Morton's and Gibson's are Chicago classic steakhouses with consistently high ranking from the Tribune food critic. You will run into the same problem at Gibson's that you did at Hugo's from what I hear.

I take the Metromix reviews with a huge grain of salt, especially when I see some of favorite places coming up with such bad reviews.

Old Nov 21st, 2005, 12:32 PM

Will I get flamed if I mention Lawry's The Prime Rib? We've had excellent dinners there over the past 15 years -- and I'm not even a big fan of prime rib.
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all. I emailed the web site link for Nine and some info about Morton's (metromix link, etc.) to the two journalists and they expressed a definite preference for Nine. The Italian journalist doesn't really like steak but she did like the list of non-Italian, non-steak options on the Nine menu. And they both liked the look of the place and the possibility of having cocktails at Ghostbar. The German likes the steak choices on the 1200 Fahrenheit menu at Nine (he is from trendy Dusseldorf so likes "urban" style).

Will let you know how the evening goes. Thanks again.
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 07:01 AM

Not generally a big steakhouse goer, but I take out groups from time to time. Everyone loved Nine, and the service was very good, which cannot always be said. Nice wine list, and I agree that the decor might be more appealing to your group. We saw Johnny Damon when we were at Nine, which added to the experience for the baseball fans among us.
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 05:10 PM
Original Poster

Well, Nine was a big hit. Both the Italian and the German said it was the type of restaurant they were hoping to try while in Chicago. However, in a reversal of choice, the German had fish and the Italian had steak! The restaurant was VERY busy, even for a Monday, which of course is how things always are during RSNA week. Two thumbs up for Nine--although it did get a little noisy when it was bursting at the seams with all the tables filled and crowds milling around the bar and waiting for tables.
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 11:13 AM

If Morton's in Chicago is like the one in Seattle, you might want to give it a pass.

At a recent meal at the Seattle Morton's the martini, steak, Zinfandel, and key lime pie were good. However, the meal was spoiled by fluffy, tasteless bread, a $9 Caesar salad made from flabby, outer leaves of romaine, and sautéed spinach that was too salty to eat.

Also, the pour on two glasses of white wine were so undermeasure that I had to ask the waiter to return them to the bar.
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 01:58 PM

Never eaten at the Mortons anywhere else, but from what I hear the "branches" aren't anywhere close to the original Chicago Mortons. BTilke-glad your friends enjoyed their meal.