Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Wisconsin Dells for a Retired Couple... (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/wisconsin-dells-for-a-retired-couple-803824/)

retired04 Aug 30th, 2009 01:22 PM

Wisconsin Dells for a Retired Couple...

We are driving west to Mt. Rushmore..driving right by the Wisconsin Dells..we realize that it's quite a playground for children..but what about us? Is it worth stopping? What should we see that wouldn't be too too touristy?

abram Aug 30th, 2009 02:00 PM

I think that both the Upper and Lower boat trips are interesting, and we liked the home and studio of Henry Bennett (the photographer who first made the Dells famous).

retired04 Aug 31st, 2009 03:27 AM

Should we aim for arriving/staying about an hour out for less costly lodging and doing the boat trips the next day?

abram Aug 31st, 2009 09:53 AM

Within reason, I'm all about convenience/location over cost, so I wouldn't stay an hour out. That's just my personal preference.

Hofstra1 Aug 31st, 2009 10:56 AM

Wisconsin Dells is strictly for kids. Even the boat trips are not that interesting. Wisconsin has much more wonderful places to visit that would appeal to retired couples.

retired04 Aug 31st, 2009 01:39 PM

Hofstra..give us some ideas then..thanks...

Moai12 Sep 1st, 2009 08:35 AM

Take a "Duck" tour. You'll learn about the history and see some nice scenery. It should take a few hours, maybe stop for lunch, but then you can move on.

Otherwise, if you don't like mini-golf, go-karts, or waterparks, there's not much else.

Ozarksbill Sep 2nd, 2009 06:27 PM

You are driving west from where? Main thing is how much driving time do you have or want. I do recommend The Dells and boat ride and more along the way if possible, e.g., Frank Lloyd Wright studio further west in the state.

Ozarksbill [email protected]

Hofstra1 Sep 2nd, 2009 11:20 PM

You might find House on the Rocks more interesting than the water park atmosphere you will encounter. Also, the Frank Lloyd Wright studio.

abram Sep 3rd, 2009 03:42 AM

I agree with the recommendation of seeing Taliesen in Spring Green--but House on the Rock--yuck!

cd Sep 3rd, 2009 05:58 AM

We spent a weekend in the Dells and hated it. It was just trashy in our opinion, kinda rednecky, all I remember seeing were waterparks. The suggestion above would be good. Take a boat tour, have lunch and leave.

retired04 Sep 3rd, 2009 09:25 AM

We are driving west from Michigan on our way to Mt. Rushmore..the Dells area is about 400 plus miles..so would be a good stopping off point..the total trip (one way)is over 1200..

abram Sep 3rd, 2009 10:25 AM

While it does take some effort to get past the ticky-tacky part of the Dells, I still think it can be worth a stop. We had a great time at a water park, and I wouldn't describe them as trashy. But I wasn't sure that a self-described retired couple would enjoy that.
The beauty of the river is impressive, which is why I recommended the boat trips.
HH Bennett's photgraphy of the river made the Dells a tourist attraction, and his studio (and a museum) still stands where it moved from it's original 1865 location in 1875.
The Tommy Bartlett water show has been a Dells fixture for 50 years--a little hokey, but fun.

lincasanova Sep 3rd, 2009 10:34 AM

The Little Village Café was a higlight on our trip there at Baraboo, a sweet old fashioned town. Also, the Cheese Factory, ( no cheese really.. but a vegetarian highly recommended place with very very decent food) in the dells itself was a nice change from your normal fare offered at 90% of the other places.

We visited Taliesin, FLW studio/school tour. Also had lunch at the nearby golf course resort at Spring Green around the corner from Taliesin.

We took lovely fast movng back roads on most of this portion of our trip and it was beautiful countryside.

retired04 Sep 9th, 2009 05:28 PM

Hello..we stopped about 3:00...couldn't believe the plethora of water parks and cheesy places..but so glad to look past them..and take the boat tour...so far removed from the tackiness..got a Best Western for less than 60 bucks..had dinner and drinks at Moosejaw Brewery (great place for us) and off we went to the next stop...will keep you posted..thanks to all...

cd Sep 10th, 2009 05:51 AM

Thanks for the update retired04, glad you're enjoying your trip!