Winter Snorkelling off Maui

Old Feb 18th, 2015, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winter Snorkelling off Maui

Can anyone speak to their experience snorkeling in Maui in early March? I am an avid snorkeler and sometime scuba-er and would love to take a day tour to Molokini from Ma'alaea

I know there are a zillion different tour companies who offer full morning tours, but I'm hesitant to spend big bucks if the winter surf is always going to be too high to go to Molokini. I know that tour companies will always have a back-up snorkeling spot if the seas are too rough to go to the crater, but I would rather just save the money and go to the shore-accessible places on my own.

Also: if anyone does have a highly recommended early tour (ends by 1pm-ish) I'd love to hear!

Cheers!
Old Feb 18th, 2015, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

I realize my question isn't totally clear!

I would like to know: is it worth it to book a snorkel trip to Molokini in March, or will the sea be too rough?
Old Feb 18th, 2015, 11:55 AM

I would only book the first boat out in the morning. The sea will be flatter, and Molokini will have more fish than boats and people; the reverse is true later. Boats depart from Maalaea and the small boat launch in South Kihei near the border with Wailea.
Old Feb 18th, 2015, 12:03 PM

I've only been to Molokini once and it was a huge disappointment. Better off shore snorkling on Maui from my experience.
Old Feb 18th, 2015, 12:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I recommend the trip to Molokini based mostly on the pure pleasure of being at sea in Maui. Eight times out of ten it will be very choppy in the afternoon.
Better snorkeling (free) is to be found at Ahihi Reserve and Kamaole beaches 2 and 3.
Old Feb 18th, 2015, 04:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I agree with Inakauai - Molokini was disappointing for the money. Just as good or better snorkeling just off shore.
Old Feb 19th, 2015, 12:34 AM

I have been to maui 21 times and going again in april. I have to admit that molokini is extremely disappointing. I hate taking the 2 hour long boat ride out to a crater and being dropped off in the middle of a deep ocean with tons of other boats and tourists. Also the drive back to Kaanapali from maalea harbor takes forever in the afternoon since most flights from the mainland land then. I would stick to Kapalua and black rock and napili.
Old Feb 19th, 2015, 07:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your thoughtful input.

Can anyone specify what was so disappointing about Molokini? I can understand choppy water or a bad tour operator, but it seems like many of you were disappointed with the site itself. I'm just really surprised that it's such a popular activity and one highly recommended by guide books...but you all seem to agree that it's overrated.
Old Feb 19th, 2015, 08:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The underwater topography is boring and lacks color contrast.
You are anchored in water that is too deep to see the bottom well.
We have done some great scuba dives there. The wall on the seaward side and the slope of the volcanic cone on the leeward are spectacular.
Take a dive boat from Kihei harbor.