Search

Winter Rental for Military Retirees - Need location ideas in Florida

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2010, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winter Rental for Military Retirees - Need location ideas in Florida

Hi Florida Fodorites!
My brother and I very much want to arrange a rental this coming winter (Dec '10-Mar '11) for our aging parents to escape frigid Illinois - but have a long checklist. May be difficult to check all the boxes, but I thought I'd throw the question into the Fodor universe to get some feedback.

Looking for a community... near a military base (hospital, commissary, PX), near the ocean, walkable to grocery stores and coffee shops/diners, fairly close to an airport. I don't know if my parents would keep a car down there - they certainly wouldn't be comfortable on any expressways.

Maybe around Patrick Air Force Base, Eglin, MacDill... don't know how large these bases are, and what amenities they might offer, yet.

Am I asking for too much? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 10:04 AM

NAS Pensacola?
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 10:06 AM

I have some thoughts on this since I am an Air Force retiree. Skip Eglin as it will be too cold during the winter. Patrick AFB has very nice facilities with BX, commissary, golf course, pharmacy and very small hospital (AKA 45th Medical Group). They are directly across the highway (A1a) from the beach. The local communities of Cocoa Beach, Satellite Beach, Indialantic, Melbourne Beach and Melbourne are small but have all the basics one might need.
http://virtual.mybaseguide.com/publi...k%20afb/#page4

MacDill AFB is larger with the same facilities, also bigger. MacDill is convenient to Tampa, St. Pete, and all the Tampa Bay communities. This area is more urban and a car would definitely be required. Come to think of it, all areas would need one. Both areas would also have mild winter temperatures. http://virtual.mybaseguide.com/publi...l%20afb/#page4

My suggestion would be to not make a decision long-distance without a personal visit first. This way they can scout out the areas and perhaps make contacts with local Realtors who can assist with winter rentals.

Old Feb 26th, 2010, 10:09 AM

Too cold in the panhandle..as opposed to Illinois???
How about if they simply go down to Key West?
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 10:11 AM

IMO, NAS Pensacola (like Eglin AFB) would be too cold in the winter, if the idea is to escape the cold weather of Illinois. NAS Jacksonville is a possibility, though.
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 10:47 AM

I agree completely with everything Orlando Vic said.

I can only emphasize that they are going to need a car no matter which area they choose.

For example, walking from the MacDill AFB main gate to, say, the commissary and the clinic, would mean covering a shadeless mile or two, and that's without considering how to get to the gate in the first place. In the Tampa Bay area, one could base oneself at or near the beach, and drive to MacDill occasionally; or base oneself in a nice walkable neighborhood in South Tampa, near (but not walkable to) MacDill, and drive to the beach occasionally; however, either plan would involve expressways.

I would also second the suggestion to visit first in person. Development in Florida tends to be pretty spread out, so I'd hate to see you choose a lovely condo online that turns out to be miles from everything. But you could easily hit Jacksonville, Tampa and the Atlantic coast beaches near Patrick in one 10-14 day trip.
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 12:32 PM

OrlandoVic, you forgot the yacht basin at Patrick! ;-) Ok, the marina.

ChgoGal, if they were based in Cocoa Beach or Satellite Beach they would need to drive to Patrick, but that doesn't involve any expressway driving. Also, Melbourne has an airport (MLB) which is about 15 miles from Patrick. They would have lots of company; many military retirees do exactly what you're considering.
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 02:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the great information. Yes -- the more I think about this, the more I think we'll need to arrange a car down there for them.

At this point, I am focusing farther south -- I'm sure the panhandle would be much nicer than Illinois, but if they're going to the upheaval of moving, I think I'll try to get them as far south as possible.

When I was in Key West, I heard there was a base there, but couldn't find it. Anyone know of one there?
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 02:53 PM

That would be Key West Naval Air Station.

Your parents can explore these areas using temporary lodging described here: http://dodlodging.net/#