Winter fun in northern Wisconsin?

Dec 16th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

Winter fun in northern Wisconsin?

Looking at the possibility of a winter family weekend getaway in northern Wisconsin – we’re not downhill skiers, but we could have fun with cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, ice skating, a nice indoor pool (and hot tub!), etc. Does anyone have experience with the Telemark Resort in Cable? There are no reviews on TripAdvisor!

If not Telemark, does anyone have other family-oriented places that might be a good fit? We’re a family of three -- our daughter is 8 -- looking to drive up from the Milwaukee area. We've done Door County many times and are looking for something different.

Thanks!
Dec 16th, 2008, 11:23 AM

How about Wisconsin Dells. They have a flakeout festival in January that reminds me of those held in Colorado. There are many resorts with very nice indoor facilities. See the link below.

http://www.wisdells.com/wisconsindel...s/flakeout.cfm
Dec 16th, 2008, 02:18 PM

I'm familiar with the Cable area, my father has a cabin outside of Iron River. It's really a beautiful part of Wisconsin. I checked the website for the Telemark and it looks like a lot of fun in the Winter. If you go and have time, be sure to check out the Delta Diner..it's really unique.

http://www.deltadiner.com/index.html
Dec 16th, 2008, 09:02 PM

I've always good things about Telemark but have no personal experience to speak of. There's got to a lot of places you can go in northern Wisconsin that would fit. You could also look at somewhere in the UP - probably better snow conditions overall and about as close as Cable.
Dec 17th, 2008, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info and ideas -- everyone's help is much appreciated! Any other ideas for specific resorts/locations? I think we want to try to stay in Wisconsin (love the UP, but have actually spent a lot of time there), and I don't think the Dells fits with what we're looking for this time, though the festival looks fun. More Northwoods ideas are welcome!

Thanks.
Dec 17th, 2008, 06:41 AM

I've stayed at the Telemark Resort in Cable but it has been a few years ago. Good visit, beautiful area.
Dec 17th, 2008, 11:59 AM

We've grown up going to Minocqua, Wisconsin. Try for some areas up there. You could always rent a cabin. Our favorite resort (Fence Lake Lodge) was sold a few years ago and made into private cabins, so I have no recommendations, but it's a great little area.
Dec 17th, 2008, 05:05 PM

How bout the Eagle River area?

http://www.eagleriver.org/

http://tiny.cc/MBU2s
Dec 18th, 2008, 09:14 PM

The Granite Peak area in Wausau offers many cross-county trails, hotels with pools, and it is not too far from Milwaukee. When DS and DD were the age of your daughter, they loved going there for weekends. They did downhill ski at that time which was their favorite activity, but there were many people in town for other winter activities. If it is a hockey tournament weekend, reservations will be next to impossible, but other weekends are usually fine for even late notice reservations.
Dec 19th, 2008, 01:32 PM

Telmark should be nice. I haven't stayed there for a few years but always liked the area. The Dells is fun for your 8 year old. There are indoor waterparks...I can't remember the hotel I stayed at. It had an indoor waterpark and looked like yellowstone lodge...the kids had a blast.
Jan 26th, 2009, 07:23 AM

Wausau is civilized. Rib Mountain is family comfortable. Try the Wolf River Lodge at Langlade for a real Wisconsin winter vacation. Good trails and KettleBowl for low key downhill.
Jan 28th, 2009, 02:45 PM

How about Door County. Really nice in the winter. Nice and quiet, 3 state parks to xcountry ski in. Many restraunts are closed but there are enough place to eat. Or do what we do and get a room with a kitchen (birchwood lodge & eagle harbor inn are both nice) eat lunch out but dinner in next to the jaccuzzi.