Wine/Liquor Store in Anaheim/Disney Area?

Apr 27th, 2005, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

Wine/Liquor Store in Anaheim/Disney Area?

Hoping someone can provide some information.

Does anyone know of a wine/liquor store in the general vicinity of Disneyland - within a 10 minute drive or so?

We are taking my daughter to Disneyland for a few days before we depart on our cruise. The first night of the cruise is my dad's birthday, and I would like to have a nice bottle of wine to drink at dinner. I've looked at the ship's wine list, and it is just a so-so selection with over-inflated prices.

I suppose I could cart a bottle from home with me, but if there's a place I can buy a nice bottle close to where we're staying in Anaheim, I'd rather do that.

Do the supermarkets sell wine? How are the selections? As an example, where I live some of the supermarkets have gourmet sections with very nice wine selections, but most are limited.

I suppose it complicates things that I want someplace close to Disney - I don't really want to spend a lot of time going to find a liquor store at the expense of my daughter's time at the parks.

Any help is appreciated.
Apr 27th, 2005, 11:41 AM

I remember there was a 7-11 just outside Disneyland, but not sure if it still there after building California. Anybody knows?

Apr 27th, 2005, 12:09 PM

In California all supermarkets and many drugstores carry wine and liquor. West of Disney down Katella about 5 minutes is a Sav-On drugstore. There is also an Albertson's supermarket further on I believe.
Apr 27th, 2005, 12:12 PM

If you want high quality wines:

Italia Wine Imports Ltd
(714) 538-4896
1119 W Collins Ave
Orange, CA 92867

It is about 3 or 4 miles from Disney.
Apr 27th, 2005, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the quick replies!

I'll definitely try to find the Italia Wine Imports - but it's nice to know that in the event of time constraints, I can pop into a grocery store for a peek.

I'm not trying to find something too fancy - somewhere between $50 or $60 will be ok. I just can't see paying that much for a bottle of wine on the ship that retails elsewhere for a third of that.
Apr 27th, 2005, 05:56 PM

Von's supermarket usually has a pretty good wine selection. There's one about 1.5 to 2 miles away. Head south on Harbor Blvd, then at Chapman turn left (toward the freeway). There's a Von's at the next intersection (Haster).
Apr 28th, 2005, 09:41 AM
ssm

If you are going to go down to the city of Orange, go to The Wine Exchange (http://winex.com/contact_us.html). I have no doubt you will find what you are looking for there. The people are very helpful.

If by chance you still do not find the right bottle at The Wine Exchange, a Beverages & More store is located right down the street from them.
Apr 29th, 2005, 07:05 AM

You might want to check with the cruise line to see if they allow you to take liquor onboard. I would hate to have your $40 bottle of wine confiscated. Also, they may charge a fee to open wine for you at dinner. Yes, you can smuggle and take your own opener!
Apr 29th, 2005, 07:13 AM

Other than Whole Foods, most supermarkets in California carry low-end wines (i.e., stored upright for-God-know's-how-long on shelves along with the canned fruits and vegetables). These are mostly the under $25 stuff.

Bev & More have decent quality wines that should fit your needs.

BTW, I've never been to a cruise, but I am assuming that they allow passengers to BYOB during dinner at the ship's dining establishment.
Apr 29th, 2005, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

I've checked with the cruise line as to their policies on bringing your own alcohol on board - and not surprisingly, it doesn't make much sense.

First they state that you may not bring any alcohol on board. They will confiscate it and return it to you at the end of the cruise.

Then they state that you may bring a couple of "special" bottles of wine on board (apart from what they offer on their own wine list) and they will charge corkage at the dining room. I interpret their use of the word "may" more like "maybe if we feel like it".

So I suppose it depends on the security procedures at check in and whether the person screening my bags decides to let it go or not.

I've read the message boards over at cruise critic regarding this - most people seem to have absolutely no problem bringing in copious amounts of alcohol on their own. Hopefully my one bottle will also make it.

At any rate, if they do take it, I'll just have to bring it home with me after the cruise.