Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Wind Cave or Jewel Cave - With Kids, Which is Best?

May 25th, 2004, 07:06 PM
chc
Original Poster

I am trying to plan my time in the Black Hills and have been told by my kids (ages 9, 7 and 4) that they must see a cave. Any opinions on which cave, Jewel Cave or Wind Cave is most fun for kids? How about the scores of other caves in the area? Thanks.
May 26th, 2004, 12:17 PM

Have been to both caves. Prefer Wind Cave. Jewel Cave does not live up to it's name and usually has a long wait.
May 26th, 2004, 12:48 PM

I agree with SuzieTrue, definitely Wind Cave! Was there last summer with both my kids (ages 9 & 11), they loved it. I will be honest, the initial trip down to the cave is in an elevator. I have clastrophobia (spelling?), and when I found out we had just went down 200 feet, I was scared! After a SHORT anxiety attack, I truly enjoyed it! Hey, where are you staying? Keystone is most convenient. Also, if you have time, there's a super nice waterpark about 15minutes out of Keystone (I forget the town's name). The town is just north of Keystone and it's alot larger than Keystone. I'm sorry it's slipped my mind. My kids loved it! I wanted to give them a day to just have fun! They spent several hours in the car (traveled from Texas to South Dakota). Also, Wind cave is close to Crazy Horse Monument, that was awesome!
May 26th, 2004, 04:20 PM
chc
Original Poster

SuzieTrue and mlarson, thank you so much for your thoughts on the caves. From my research I had begun to think that Jewel Cave was best, but your opinions have steered me to Wind Cave.

I am staying in Custer State Park (Sylvan Lodge) for a couple of nights. mlarson, is the water park you are thinking of Evans Plunge in Hot Springs?

In addition to Wind Cave, we plan to visit Mammoth Site, Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse Memorial, 1880 Train, one of the gold mines, and maybe Bear Country. We have a third day in the area where I was planning to visit Badlands NP. There seems to be so much great stuff to choose from with kids this age. Did I miss any must sees? Thanks.
May 27th, 2004, 06:16 AM

The waterpark I was referring to is in Rapid City, very easy to get to from Keystone. We also took the kids to Evan's Plunge and they really liked it too, but if they had to pick between the two, they liked the waterpark in Rapid City better. Evan's Plunge is close to Mammoth Site (Hot Springs), so be sure to hit those two places at the same time.
Your places to see all sound good! One day we headed out early in the morning for Hot Springs. Did the Mammoth Site first, then went to Evan's Plunge. After letting the kids play for 3hrs or so (while we relaxed in the shade), we headed back up towards Keystone and stopped off at the Wind Cave and then finished up at Crazy Horse. Sounds like alot for one day, but it really wasn't. But, we're early birds, and we headed out at 8am.

FYI, South Dakota has an excellent travel website. I forget the exact website name, but if you put "South Dakota Travel" in your search command, you should be able to find it. It's VERY helpful.

Also, while staying in Keystone, be sure to take the kids on the Presidential sled ride. My kids loved it. You don't get wet, you take a ski lift up, and then come back down via a sled, it's fun! You'll find out more about it by going to the SD travel website. Have fun, it's GOd's country up there!
May 27th, 2004, 07:42 AM
Syv

Definitely go to the BADLANDS National Park. Well worth it.