Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Williamsburg-What Not To Miss (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/williamsburg-what-not-to-miss-54170/)

Erni Hirsch Oct 2nd, 1999 05:04 PM

Williamsburg-What Not To Miss

We will be exchanging into Kingsgate Timeshare on Fri. and staying 5 days. What are the "not to be missed experiences" including but not limited to sights, entertainment and restaurants. Our party includes three adults of varied interests. Is the dress in the area restaurants casual? On Sat. we want to find a Sports Bar where we can watch the Miami/FSU Game. Help! <BR> Erni

JoAnn Oct 3rd, 1999 02:06 AM

Erni, go to www.tug2.net (Timeshare Users Group)and ask--this is a BBS for and by timeshare owners(no realtors/developers). Great information there--including a recent question like your, with all sorts of good answers from people who have stayed at Kingsgate & Williamsburg. We stayed at Kingsgate about 5 years ago, bought the year's pass, took our time through Colonial Williamsburg, and went through the Plantation and Jamestown too.

JoAnn Oct 3rd, 1999 02:29 AM

Whoops! Sorry Erni, see you've already been to TUG and have some answers! Thought you looked familiar! JoAnn

Amy Oct 3rd, 1999 05:25 PM

<BR>I was in Colonial Williamsburg last summer for 4 days.. It was great! I <BR>definitely suggest you sign up for <BR>some of the special tours on the <BR>grounds while you are there. <BR>While alot of the houses have regular tours the special <BR>tours give you a better feel for <BR>the history. I took one on <BR>Slavery, one "after dark", <BR>and they were great. You do need <BR>to make reservations for these <BR>as they are limited to just <BR>so many folks each time. As I recall <BR>they are free if you buy a Patriots <BR>Pass. It is alot of walking, so <BR>wear comfortable shoes...dine at <BR>the inns in Colonial Williamsburg <BR>each is a bit different and fun! <BR>Be sure and catch Thomas Jefferson <BR>and other locals discussing <BR>subjects of importance!

Joy in Virginia Oct 3rd, 1999 06:49 PM

Get a Patriot's Pass, most economical way to see everything in colonial area. Also a short drive to the Jamestown Island historic site & Yorktown Victory Center is worthwhile, the folks at the Williamsburg visitor's Center can give you info & directions. The Trellis restaurant is not to be missed, French cuisine & desserts that are world famous. Pierce's Pit Bar-B-Q near Lightfoot is FANTASTIC, don't miss if you love BBQ, not fancy & hard to find but worth it! Shopping down the road at Prime Outlets & Outlets Mall. The Williamsburg Pottery at Lightfoot is the ultimate in tacky bargains esp if you go to the garden shop there. Busch Gardens is open on weekends if you are a roller coaster fan, they have some of the BEST anywhere! A longer drive down Route 5 into Charles City County will take you past lots of restored colonial plantation homes you can tour, and Indian Fields Tavern is a good place for lunch or dinner. Email me with any specific questions.