Williamsburg visit with "American Girl" fan

Sep 30th, 2003, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

Williamsburg visit with "American Girl" fan

I'm planning a trip to Williamsburg with my 6 year old daughter who is a huge fan of the Amercian Girls dolls, especially Felicity. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to best spend a one day visit??
Sep 30th, 2003, 06:55 AM

The special "American Girl" programs at CW have been discontinued.
Sep 30th, 2003, 09:49 AM

While the American Girl program has been discontinued, you will still see many costumed little girls roaming around clutching their dolls. If your daughter doesn't have a Felicity outfit, you can rent one for the day from Colonial Williamsburg. The CW website has a lot of info about family activities which your child might enjoy.

What time of year are you visiting?
Sep 30th, 2003, 04:52 PM

I love the American Girls books and think they are a great way to introduce girls to history. In addition to the web site, there will be an excellant visitors brochure for the week which will highlight children's activities. Perhaps you can find some locations or businesses in the book which you can look for (or ones just like them) Create a scavenger hunt. Take her to lunch at one of the Colonial Taverns and for a carriage ride. Do the maze behind the Governor's Mansion. Find where the horses and sheep are. They rotate the pastures so it can be a hunt. Go to tea at the Inn. Have fun!

Obxgirl: How did you fare during Isabel?
Oct 1st, 2003, 08:12 AM

Birdie, A monster tree demolished our deck but we feel lucky compared to the damage others suffered. Hope your hope and family fared well too.
Oct 1st, 2003, 08:13 AM

That was...hope your HOME and family fared well!
Oct 1st, 2003, 09:02 AM

Lost trees in the yard but none on the house. With only two freezer-loads of food lost we count ourselves very lucky. Most of our neighbors have house damage. If I had known that the kids were going to be out of school for so long I would have hit the road.
Oct 1st, 2003, 10:19 AM
E

Birdie, why did you have two freezer-loads of food stockipiled? I'm not trying to be rude, I'm honestly curious.
Oct 2nd, 2003, 05:04 AM

I had been to Sam's a couple of weeks previously plus the pizzas you buy from the school band, the frozen veggies I bought on sale, the soup I made extra of and froze, the ham bones I was going to make soup with. I didn't have 2 deep freezers full just regular freezers. I did defrost the turkey breast and roast that 2 days before the storm. We had turkey and gravey with instant mashed potatoes and cranberry sauce as we huddled in the basement during the storm. We were prepared with a lot of bottled water, propane, batteries and coolers. I think most of us were prepared to lose power for a couple of days not a week. Food in freezers can last 48 hrs. Next time I will use up more food ahead of time and have more canned and nonperishables stocked up.
Oct 2nd, 2003, 05:08 AM

Birdie and Obxgirl -
I am in Williamsburg too. We also lost a lot of food. I think next time we hear about a hurricane coming we will have a big "let's clean out our freezer" party! Maybe a contest...how many different recipes can you make with a frozen skinless boneless chicken breast!
Oct 2nd, 2003, 05:50 AM

Great idea! Maybe we could do a giant BBQ in the Sunken Gardens or along DOG Street!
Oct 2nd, 2003, 06:17 AM

Sounds great...but trees now make me nervous!
Oct 3rd, 2003, 03:41 PM

The chicken breasts never got cooked. I started with the most expensive meat and BBQ'd my way down the price scale. We had strip steaks for two nights. Would hate to have a cholesterol test.
Oct 3rd, 2003, 04:56 PM

I enjoyed reading this little exchange... I'm in L.A., so it's interesting to me that you can contemplate how to prepare (and cook!) for a natural disaster on the way. I'm used to disasters that don't announce their visits in advance...