Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Williamsburg, VA info (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/williamsburg-va-info-827990/)

BitsnBearsMom Feb 23rd, 2010 05:50 PM

Williamsburg, VA info

We will be spending a few days in Williamsburg in a few weeks and am wondering if someone can direct me as to what to see/do. My boys are 16yo and 10yo and we will be spendingsome time at Great Wolf Lodge but would like to see/do something new as well.

Birdie Feb 23rd, 2010 06:48 PM

Busch Gardens opens March 26th so I would put that at the top of the list if you will be here then.
16 yo boys can be difficult to entertain. What interests do they have? Are you planning on visiting Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown, Yorktown? Let us know more and we can be a little more helpful. You can also do a search on this forum to narrow things down.

BitsnBearsMom Feb 24th, 2010 03:54 AM

We will be gone before Busch Gardens opens. The 16yo boy is actually great to travel with and is open to doing/trying/seeing new things. My kids are well travelled and don't typically have an issue with sight seeing activities - they know vacations are typically used to see/do something new and different!! I think I would like to see some of Colonial Williamsburg. We will have 2 full days and a part day.
They all love golfing but we are heading from Williamsburg to Hilton Head for that so I guess I'm really looking for sight seeing type activities.

longhorn55 Feb 24th, 2010 06:38 AM

Plan to spend more than one full day in Colonial Williamsburg. (Get the One Day Plus ticket which gives you 2 CONSECUTIVE days in CW. I'd recommend doing CW on a full day and the part day, so make sure they are on consecutive days.) Check their website for a calendar of events/schedule. There are many special programs they offer during the day and night which might especially appeal to your kids (e.g. nighttime ghost tours).
Spend the other full day visiting historic Jamestowne and the Yorktown Battlefield. These are the National Park Service sites. There is also a Jamestown Settlement and Yorktown Victory Center, but these are re-creation places. While I have heard good things about these places, I don't think you have time to visit them AND the actual historic sites. The kids should especially enjoy the costumed people blowing glass in the Glass House and the archeological dig at historic Jamestowne.

Waldo Feb 24th, 2010 08:52 AM

My impression of Colonial Williamsburg is that of of a blown valuable day. It's a nothing.

Birdie Feb 25th, 2010 05:23 PM

I agree with longhorn55 that you should buy tickets for CW and spend some time there I disagree about Jamestown Settlement a bit. I think your 10 yo would enjoy the boats and fort. I've heard good reviews about Yorktown VC too.

Presidents' Park is a bit cheesey but your boys may have fun learning about the Presidents. www.presidentspark.org

There is a pirates cove minigolf on Bypass Rd. You can also go for breakfast or lunch at Eagles in Kingsmill overlooking the course that has hosted PGA and LPGA events. Check in at the gate and tell them you are going to the resort. They can tell you how to get there. Other good lunch places are the Williamsburg airport where the boys can watch private planes taking off and landing and Retros across the street from Blue Talon in Merchants Square.

The College of William and Mary is across the street from CW. It's not too soon for your 16 yo to start looking at colleges if only to get a quick look at the second oldest in the country. The large building you can see from Merchants Square is the oldest college building still in use. Most of the sports are finishing their winter season but you can look on www.tribeathletics.com to see if there is anything going on .

Have fun!!

jo_ann Feb 27th, 2010 06:38 PM

I'm in agreement with Birdie - the actual location of Jamestown is "interesting" but there's just not much there - the Settlement/recreated area is fascinating! the costumed guides were phenomenal - they hit on the settlers and the native Americans in great ways, and I swear: the fellow who was docent at the boats probably sailed with real pirates back in the 1600's - he was that good! we spent hours there and loved it - I think all ages can enjoy it.
Grey Wolf Lodge seems like a great spot for you. It's a college town, so you should be able to find some good, casual food spots that will appeal to you all, also - we adore the Fat Canary, but it's adult kind of food. The Cheese Shop has great sandwiches.
Have a great trip!

kencolian Feb 28th, 2010 05:07 AM

We liked eating in the pub at Williamsburg. They also offer some entertainment at night. Your kids might like the ghost tour. (We also went to a talk by Thomas Jefferson and a vaudeville type show) Make sure you look at the special programs they are offering the days you are there.

kencolian Feb 28th, 2010 05:08 AM

Also I think the ships at Jamestone recreation are a must see. Try to imagine crossing the ocean in such a small boat!

Gekko Feb 28th, 2010 09:51 AM

Without a doubt, start your visit at the Colonial Williamsburg Visitors Center. See the short, free movie, "A Story of a Patriot." It sets the mood and your sons will love visiting all of the places they see in the film.

Then start at the capitol and work your way down Duke of Gloucester Street, visiting the historic sites.

Outside of Colonial Williamsburg, you can visit Jamestown, Yorktown, and the amusement park (but I hope that's at the bottom of your list).

Enjoy!

nytraveler Feb 28th, 2010 10:57 AM

Williamsburgh is brilliant - esp for kids who like learning - so check in advance for specific activities on specific days and build the other activities around them.