Williamsburg - Trellis - Death By Chocolate

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6th, 2005, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An article from the Post for those of you who enjoy Death By Chocolate at the Trellis in Williamsburg. It is a highly recommended indulgence on here. Hope I get down to have some someday!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...400259_pf.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...400272_pf.html

First the Title, Then the Recipe

Wednesday, October 5, 2005; F02

Marcel Desaulniers is neither French (born to French Canadian parents in Woonsocket, R.I.) nor a pastry chef (he says when he studied at the Culinary Institute of America, the only thing he liked about pastry class was the dough fights).

He and Donald Mack, his pastry chef at the time, created Death by Chocolate ("a dessert, not a cake") in 1982, after being inspired by a recipe printed in Gourmet magazine called "Dying for Chocolate." His own title came before the recipe was created. The dessert was an immediate hit at Trellis, his restaurant in Williamsburg. He served it several times a week and then discovered that people were specifically reserving tables on the nights when it would be served.

In 1992, when the "Death by Chocolate" cookbook came out, Trellis started serving the spectacular dessert every day, lunch and dinner. Desaulniers says now "it is the tail that wags the dog" at the restaurant and that "it is not pretty when we run out." To avoid that, the restaurant assembles 10 to 16 "Death by Chocolates" every day.

The dessert is so rich that you can get 20 thin slices out of it. To make a more dramatic presentation "like a battleship," Desaulniers slices just 10 magnificent servings out of each dessert (a bargain at $6.75 a slice; the ingredients alone set me back more than $100).

Oh, by the way, each assembled dessert weighs 10 pounds -- and that's without the pan or the sauce -- 1 pound per serving.

When I called him to ask about my troubles on making it, he was amused. He says out of all his cookbooks and recipes, this is the one he gets the fewest questions about: "I don't think that many people have made it over the years."
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 01:38 PM

Hi Jenabelle2
We vacation in Williamsburg nearly every year and having Death by Chocolate is always planned as an EVENT. It doesn't matter what I've consumed at dinner or the fact that I never finish my slice of "Death", I would never miss this sinful delight. We took my sister and brother-in-law this past March and they loved it. We ended up taking much of the this delicious cake back to our rooms and eating it at midnight! The experience is truly is not to be missed. Hallmark has a put out little frame print saying "I tried a dessert called Death by Chocolate...but it only made me stronger." I couldn't resist and bought it. It sits on my kitchen counter, next to my Death by Chocolate Cookbook, of course.
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 01:56 PM

Okay, so I have to see a picture of this intriguing dessert! At the Trellis website, there are thumbnail photos of the desserts...which one is it?!?!?

Salivating thinking about it....
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 01:47 PM

Topping to see if girlwilltravel can point out the goodies on their website for me!
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 03:07 PM

I haven't looked at the web site, but Death by Chocolate has seven layers of brownie, fillings, and topping. I had it once at The Trellis and have never gotten over it. I have the cookbook, too, but haven't ever had the nerve to try to make it. The recipe says start early in the day!