Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Williamsburg - Pints & Pipes (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/williamsburg-pints-and-pipes-488724/)

Weespxx Dec 1st, 2004 01:37 PM

Williamsburg - Pints & Pipes

Does anyone know how I can find this pub? We're dying for some good shephard's pie and football on the big screen.

Thanks, Weespxx

rb_travelerxATyahoo Dec 1st, 2004 03:11 PM

from a google search:PINTS AND PIPES Pub and Fine Food - Ewell Station Shopping Center - 5601-8 Richmond Road - Williamsburg, VA 23188; 757-565-2726

I don't know the place, but it would be on Rt 60 west of "main" Williamsburg. I don't know for sure they serve what you're seeking ...try googling it & check the links.

Momof3boys Dec 1st, 2004 03:14 PM

It's on Richmond Rd towards Lightfoot and Prime Outlets at a shopping center called Ewell's Station - address 5601 Richmond Rd. Call before you go - 565-2726 - since they were recently charged w/ not paying back taxes. Uncle Sam can be nasty over that!

rb_travelerxATyahoo Dec 1st, 2004 03:28 PM

And they haven't done too well on their health board inspections either, according to a link I found while searching for the OP. Seems Christopher Plummer & Colin Farrell liked the place & brought in a number of customers awhile back, but the turnout probably faded when the stars departed. Seems like it may be a somewhat authentic (for a mall anyway) Scottish Pub, & I'll look for it next time I visit.

Weespxx Dec 1st, 2004 05:38 PM

Thanks - will check it out and let you know what I think.

obxgirl Dec 1st, 2004 06:48 PM

Weespxx,

Please report back on Pints and Pipes if you all check it out. I've never been.

My mom (a Brit) tried it a couple of years ago and pronounced the place absolutely mediocre. She has high (read unattainable) standards for the pub grub she recalls of her youth so who knows what the quality of the food actually might be.

How did the visit with your Dutch in-laws go? I'd love to hear what they enjoyed (or not)!

rb_traveler, If you're still tracking this thread: Sad news from Wmbg. The Princess Anne Motor Lodge is coming down in the name of commercial development. I think it's one of the last of its type actually operating as a motel. A very pretty property too.

kmchick Dec 1st, 2004 11:45 PM

My husband and I go almost once a week, it's great! They have beer battered french fries that are to die for, never had anything like them anywhere else. The quality varies depending on who is cooking that night, and they run out of certain entrees by 7, so go by 6 if you want something other than fish and chips.

rb_travelerxATyahoo Dec 2nd, 2004 07:33 AM

I'll be looking forward to the reports too from Weespxx, and if I visit first will report back -- thanks kmchick & obxgirl for your comments.

News of the demise of Princess Anne is sad. It is such a beautiful property. The one time I stopped there, they had no rooms but referred me to Gov Spottswood, which I've been happy with, but always thought I'd return to try P.A. Thanks (I think? [g]) for the update, obx.

Weespxx Dec 4th, 2004 11:02 AM

Will let you all know when we've tried it.

obxgirl - Dutch in-laws loved the Parkway, walking the historic area, Jamestown and Yorktown. The nature overwhelmed them, which I find funny since I don't think of Virginia as being the most stunning state. Was nice to see it through someone else's eyes! All member of immediate Dutch family planning visit next Christmas! Thanks for all tips. weespxx

Birdie Dec 5th, 2004 11:42 AM

rb:
If I were you I would try Casa Maya on your next trip here. It might be your last chance. And it will be worth it. That's all I'm going to say 'cause I can't say anything more.

rb_travelerxATyahoo Dec 5th, 2004 10:41 PM

gosh, this thread isn't bringing me much good news! So what's happening at Casa Maya?? I go the the Daily Press website often, but haven't read anything about CM, or Princess Anne Motel, but trust both of you about "burg" news. Anyone make it to Grand Illumination this evening?

Weespxx Dec 6th, 2004 09:37 AM

I made it to Grand Illumination - what a crowd! Never been before but watched from Frances St, behind the magazine and it was pretty spectacular if you ask me. WHat did anyone else think?

rb_travelerxATyahoo Dec 6th, 2004 09:44 AM

And back the your O.P., Weespxx, did you get to Pints & Pipes? Working on a review??

missielady Dec 7th, 2004 09:38 AM

Anybody know if they still have live entertainment at Pints and Pipes in Williamsburg? More importantly - are they still in business after all the hoopla?

obxgirl Dec 7th, 2004 10:16 AM

Wees and rb_trav, We were at home doing our own version of the GI, stringing lights ourside the house! Weather was perfect for the event.

I was out in the direction of the P&P on Sunday and it appeared open for business. They probaly miss the extra income, but I for one, don't miss the constant claims of Colinspotting!