Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Williamsburg in February? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/williamsburg-in-february-381028/)

stephanie0107 Dec 7th, 2003 01:39 PM

Williamsburg in February?

Would people recommend Williamsburg in Virginia? I assume Bushc Gardens will be closed. Is there much else besides Colonial Williamsbug? We would be there a full week and want to make sure we would not get bored because I've always perceived williamsburg as a warmer-weather destination.

andy Dec 7th, 2003 02:22 PM

definitely do Williamsburg in the SPRING..or at Xmas--

February is way too cold to walk around and see Colonial Williamsburg...and Busch Gardens will definitely be closed..

IN Feb, I would say a week is way too long for the area...even with all the outlet shopping...

Birdie Dec 7th, 2003 07:20 PM

Those of us who actually live here find quite a lot to keep us entertained in February. That's when we visit the taverns, museums, etc because the throngs of tourists aren't here. Do be careful of scheduling, though, because Colonial Williamsburg shuts down some of the taverns. The buildings are also usually on an alternate schedule. If there is something you really want to see, check the schedule to make sure it is open on the day you will be visiting. Yorktown and Jamestown National Parks should both be open. Also, Jamestown/Yorktown Foundation parks. Newport News, 1/2 hour away has some wonderful museums. Richmond and Norfolk with their great attractions, theater, and restaurants are only an hour away. It will be impossible to predict the weather. This week it has been 30-40's. Next week its supposed to be in the 60's. "Cold" is relative to where you are coming from anyway.

JoyinVirginia Dec 7th, 2003 09:01 PM

Depends on the weather, which could be very cold and snowing one week and in the 60s the next! There is plenty to do. If you are at one of the timeshares in town they have exercise/recreation facilities. If you like roller coasters and water parks, I would wait until warmer weather when Busch Gardens and Water Country are open. Check their websites for 2004 opening. If you are mainly interested in the history, shopping, or visiting nearby museums and historic homes, then Feb should be fine. Just bring clothes for mild AND freezing weather!

rb_travelerxATyahoo Dec 8th, 2003 11:30 AM

I've gone to WBG in Feb a couple of times. You sure can't beat the hotel rates at that time of the year, and as stated, with the wide weather variences, you never know for sure how it's going to be.

I should qualify my statement to say that I don't spend ALL the time in WBG, but from there east to and including Virginia Beach. I've stayed in ocean-front rooms for ~$35 (and not dives either) and will turn down the thermostat & leave the balcony door open all night to hear the surf. The greater Tidewater area has a lot of museums, nautical, air&space, sea-life, cultural and shopping offerings. You often can get in some golf as well, and the bicycling isn't bad either.