Elderly couple looking for hotel in SanAntonio

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15th, 2003, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in Dallas and my elderly neighbors are wanting to take the train to San Antonio for a few days and change of environment. They wish to stay on the riverwalk and the only other request (by the wife) is that there's a spa where she can be pampered with a facial and manicure etc. They can spend about $90-150. a night. Any suggestions?
Old Oct 15th, 2003, 12:12 PM

Personally, taking the train to San Antonio wouldn't be my choice mode of transportation. I'd much rather fly and be there in an hour instead of taking a long day or overnight train trip. I'd also want to have a car available in San Antonio since many of the good attractions (such as the missions) are not within walking distance of downtown or the riverwalk. I looked on the internet for day spas, and several of them are out on I-10 near Blanco Road and Fredricksburg Road, which would also necessitate a car. (One alternative would be for them to rent a car for just a day or two.)

My favorite hotel downtown is actually a block off the Riverwalk. I tis the Wyndham St. Anthony. It is a beautiful, historic hotel with a fabulous Sunday brunch. It will definitely be within their price range.
Old Oct 15th, 2003, 12:43 PM

My first choice would be La Mansion del Rio - right on the river and a beautiful property. Another nice place not on but close to the Riverwalk is the Emily Morgan. The Sheraton Gunter is downtown, just steps from the Riverwalk. The Valencia is a new hotel and getting good press. All seem to be available in their price range through www.hotels.com, but none of the properties has a true day spa - la Mansion is building one. Most of the day spas are not downtown; closest would be:
Rejuvenese Medspa
1200 Brooklyn Ave # 120 494-9440

A really great place - usually rated as the best in town - and not far from downtown (a taxi away)is:
Patricia's Day Spa
8000 Broadway 829-1969
Old Oct 15th, 2003, 01:07 PM

Since you mention "elderly" twice - I assume they are not interested in the hassle of renting a car or negotiating busy airports. (I know my parents in their 80's would much rather take the train instead of flying)

If so, Seamus' suggestions are good. I have not stayed at any of them but have friends who have stayed at both the Sheraton and Emily Morgan and enjoyed both.
Old Oct 15th, 2003, 02:39 PM

Just spoke to a friend from Santa Fe who spent her special birthday at La Mansion (or La Maison) del Rio on Riverwalk that Seamus mentioned. She RAVED about the place. Her room had a porch overlooking the river. Sounds lovely but she said it was expensive.
Old Oct 16th, 2003, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your responses. Janis you're right, hassling w/ the airport is not an option for them and they love train travel. They are not in the grreatest of health and are frail so I really encouraged travelling by train instead of them taking the chance of car troubles etc... I did find 2 hotels that have a "spa" in them on the river but they only do facials and massages. I beleive The Valencia was one of them and w/ AARP discount the rates are approx. $149.00 a night. Thanks again for your help.