Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Will you be in Honolulu Feb 6 & 7 2009? Punahou Carnival!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 10:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Warning, shameless plug!!!

It's Punahou Carnival Time! Yes the largest private co-ed school in the US and alma mater of the current leader of the free world is once again having its fundraising carnival this weekend.

11 to 11 on Friday and Saturday only.

Its got carnival rides, games, books sale, white elephant, plant booth and the best carnival eats in Hawaii! Saimin, fried noodles, malassadas, gyros, taco salads, smoothies, and the famous Portugese Bean soup.

Buy a beautiful handmade haku lei for your hat, and they even have hats if you need one. The Art Gallery is one of the biggest and best annual displays of local artists. Paintings, prints, ceramics, woodcarvings and glass pieces, as well as jewelry.

The alumni booths will have fresh fruits and flowers along with Punahou shirts and other logo items.

Come at opening on Friday morning if you hope to score any mango chutney or lilikoi butter and avoid the crowds.

0therwise, I highly recommend the Hawaiian Plate up in the cafeteria. Laulau, lomi salmon, haupia, poi and rice. Heavenly. Come in the evening and enjoy the local entertainment along with your dinner.

Parking in the neighborhood is very tight. You can catch the number 4 bus from Waikiki or the #5 from Ala Moana Center.

All profits go to scholarships and some of the senior events for the class of 2010.

http://www.punahou.edu/page.cfm?p=504!

And yes, it is just a carnival, but it is one of the biggest school events in the nation, AND a real slice of Hawaii. It will likely gross about 2 milion dollars over the two days, so we take it seriously here!

Look for me and fellow Fodorite mari808 as we eat our way across campus on Friday. If you know you'll be there, let me know...maybe we can have a mini GTG>
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 07:21 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
ooooooh... I wish I was going to be there. I LOVE going to this kind of stuff. good luck with the fundraiser, lcuy!!
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 08:33 AM

I haven't been to the carnival in a couple years. Used to go every year, but work stuff started to get in the way.

And parking is awful - do they still open up Middle Field and Barwick for public parking?
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Parking will still be terrible. only Barwick and the new parking structure will be open. The surrounding churches and schools are worth a try. They all make a killing selling parking during the Carnival. maryknoll earns enough to send their entire 5th grade to camp!

Now that I'm not arriving at 6:30 am, I leave the car at home, and take the bus down the hill.
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 05:12 PM

OK, here's a preliminary list of eats--we have to get thru as much as $50 can buy, from top to bottom:

--Portuguese bean soup
--malasadas
--teriyaki cheeseburger
--fried noodles
--Hawaiian plate
--huli huli chicken plate
--taco salad
--corn on the cob
--smoothie

and anything that's new. What do you think--can do? Did I leave something out?

And btw, lucy, we'll have about 1 1/2 hours. I have to get the gallery up by 4pm!
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 05:22 PM

I know my son and some of his classmates are planning to go over after school on Friday. They'll be meeting up with friends who attend Punahou. Hope the weather stays clear, there's nothing like walking around in the mud after a few days of Manoa rain.

That reminds me, better give my son some extra $$$ to pick up some malasadas on his way out.
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 11:38 AM

I just thought of something....Mari808, do you want help taking photos? Like, we split up and I go gather stuff?
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 01:10 PM

M--

U coming? I thought u told me to find someone else!

Yah, this is going to be killer. I've been asked to turn in the entire gallery by 4pm (there's no way). Could use ur help.

L and I have a parking plan...
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 04:38 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Does this happen around the same dates every year?
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 04:45 PM

It does indeed happen around the same date every year! And every year, it rains....
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

It is always the first Friday & Saturday in February.
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 03:36 PM

Good grief, it's tomorrow already!
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 03:41 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Have a great time!! I'm jealous. I enjoyed reading about the school in Sports Illustrated. In addition to the President, the school has produce some phenomenal athletes.
Old Feb 6th, 2009, 09:26 AM

Getting ready to go to the carnival now!!
Old Feb 6th, 2009, 05:45 PM

uuuurp!
I had TWO teriyaki burgers w/cheese (I don't know why they don't call it a teri cheeseburger), orange smoothie, Hawaiian plate, and of course, malasadas. That was a very relaxing, pig-out, fun mini GTG.

Oh, and unlike it past years, it's not raining. In fact, it was downright hot today and I'm sorry I didn't bring sunscreen!
Old Feb 6th, 2009, 08:06 PM

lcuy
I wish I could be there. Have some good muchies for me!
Old Feb 6th, 2009, 11:38 PM

Yummmmo...check out this gallery of eats from today at the Punahou Carnival: http://tinyurl.com/cfeaan

Someone get me a teri cheeseburger!
Old Feb 7th, 2009, 10:49 AM

BTW, if you're planning to go today, the carnival runs till 11 p.m.
Old Feb 7th, 2009, 10:51 AM

MelissaHi, I love those burgers too! Something about a carnival that makes them so delicious. That's my weakness there, as well as the fried noodles and fresh malasadas.
Old Feb 7th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Original Poster

Just got back from my third trip to the carnival...GTG lunch with Mari and Melissa, dinner last night with DH and mainland friends, this morning to help out in the body painting booth and stock up on certain items for our freezer, and will head back once again in an hour for dinner with another mainland friend!

And yep, no rain at all. At 2pm I thought I'd pass out from sunstroke in the malassada line!

Hey Mels, the web gallery is nice, isn't it? Love those distinctive tooth marks in the teriyaki burger w/cheese, or what ever they call it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -