Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Will you be flying on 9/11? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/will-you-be-flying-on-9-11-a-356201/)

RandyK Sep 8th, 2003 08:05 AM

Will you be flying on 9/11?

I booked travel some weeks ago for a long weekend and am flying out on Thursday of this week, 9/11. I hadn't given it a second thought until a colleague noted that I'd be flying on the 2nd anniversary of the terrorist attacks. It doesn't bother me a bit--I am not superstitious. My friends think I'll be flying alone and that most travelers will choose to stay away from air travel for the day. I think the planes will be full and life will be appear extraordinarily routine even though all of us will be thinking about where we were 2 years ago. Will you be flying this Thursday?

J_Correa Sep 8th, 2003 08:10 AM

I wont be flying, but it doesn't have anything to do with 9/11. If I had someplace I needed or wanted to go, I would fly.

Dori Sep 8th, 2003 08:13 AM

I'll be flying to Rome on the 11th. I obviously don't have a problem with it, or I wouldn't be doing it. I flew to Rome last September 18. The plane was severely overbooked and had to ask for volunteers. This September 11, the plane is only half full, and it's a nonstop flight (difficult to get from Chicago)

BuzzyJ Sep 8th, 2003 08:13 AM

I am flying from Manchester, NH, to Washington, D.C. (Reagan)...

bookhall Sep 8th, 2003 08:57 AM

I, too, wouldn't give it a second thought.

Erin74 Sep 8th, 2003 09:05 AM

I'm flying to Washington DC on 9/11. I had a moment of panic after I booked it... but I just refuse to be worried. Security will be very tight that day, as always. I believe the flight I'm on is pretty full. And I read an article on cnn.com this morning that said that flights would be almost as full on 9/11 as on any other day.

gbhost Sep 8th, 2003 09:12 AM

I'm almost embarassed to admit that I have not been on an airplane since shortly before 9/11/01.

My wife and I have accumulated tens of thousands of frequent flier miles through previous travels and credit cards, but we're still a little sheepish.

It hasn't been all due to terrorism fears, however. We had our first child in the Spring of '01 and the second is due in a few weeks, so we'd have cut back on our travel anyway. Perhaps next year.....

OliveOyl Sep 8th, 2003 09:28 AM

We flew 9-11 last year and even then, were hardly alone on the plane. Security, however, was unreal. Actually we felt it might be one of the safer days of the year to fly...there wasn't going to be anyone getting by with anything!

rwilliams Sep 8th, 2003 09:48 AM

Quote: "My friends think....that most travelers will choose to stay away from air travel for the day".

Your friends need to clue in to the fact that even last year on 9/11 "most" travellers did not change their plans.
Nor will they this year.
Hurricanes in the Caribbean are a far bigger threat on a statistical basis than being the victim of air terror, but people still travel to the Caribbean in large numbers this time of year. In addition to the millions of people who choose to live there year 'round.

SusieQQ Sep 8th, 2003 09:49 AM

I'm flying to London the night of the 10th and 11th. Not at all worried!

GaryA Sep 8th, 2003 09:54 AM

My wife and I are flying Vancouver-Chicago-Atlanta on United Sept. 11th. I paid for my First Class tickets and I wanted to put her on points for first class. This was booked about three months ago. Imagine my suprise when there was no first class available on the Chicago -Atlanta leg. Obviously a lot of people are still flying on the 11th.

mgtwise Sep 8th, 2003 10:33 AM

I will be flying this year on 9/11 again. I didn't plan it, but it worked out that way. I am proud to fly on this day and not let anyone cower the US into a corner.

nickie Sep 8th, 2003 10:35 AM

Everyone responds to trauma differently. We flew not long after 9-11-01, and have not hesitated to fly since. We've flown a couple of times during heightened alerts, and just try to let go of any anxiety engendered. If people aren't comfy flying at all or flying during anniversary periods, that is unfortunate but when they are ready to, they will.
I won't be flying on Sept 11, but I will be in Manhatten on business on the 12th. The anniversary has crossed my mind many times since making the plans, but I'm grateful that this year I won't smell the fires still burning, and that, incredibly, life goes on.
Never forget.

Barbara Sep 8th, 2003 11:20 AM

I'll be at the dentist and I'd much rather be flying somewhere!

LLindaC Sep 8th, 2003 12:01 PM

We are flying to FLL for a cruise. I can't wait. Boy, was the cruise CHEAP!!

Dan Sep 8th, 2003 12:06 PM

Planes may seem crowded on 9/11 because many airlines aren't operating full schedules on that day! USAirways, for example, didn't schedule many flights this week due to the slow travel forecast.

mjz Sep 8th, 2003 12:16 PM

I flew last September 11th and will be doing so again this September 11th without any hesitation.

joan Sep 8th, 2003 01:10 PM

Last year our nonstop morning cross country flight on 9/10 was cancelled, we were told we'd have to connect or reschedule for the night before, which we did. But the rep definitely said it was due to 9/11...they didn't want early cross country flights around the anniversary of 9/11. Of course that was 2002, but I'd recommend confirming ASAP!

mrsbu Sep 8th, 2003 02:04 PM

My husbnad will be flying in from Qatar va London on the 11th and he has no worries

Kal Sep 8th, 2003 02:30 PM

If I had the opportunity, I'd do it in a nanosec.
Kal