Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > Will this work for travel in Idaho/Wyoming
Notices

Will this work for travel in Idaho/Wyoming

Feb 24th, 2004, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Will this work for travel in Idaho/Wyoming

We are interested in visiting Grand Tetons and Yellowstone and western part of Wyoming, probably early September, but realize the probelms of places to stay etc. We just like to drive and see scenery. Would it work to fly to Salt Lake City and stay in Idaho Falls for a night and explore from there just staying in places off the beaten path. Can this be done without worrying about having every detail planned. Trip length would be 7-10 days. Any other suggestions.
Feb 24th, 2004, 09:43 AM

SLC is fine as is Bozeman,MT.

You will need reservations if you plan to stay in the parks.

If you like good drives, take a day to drive the Beartooth Hwy from the north east entrace of Yellowstone to Red Lodge, MT, double back (worth it) to the Hwy down to Cody, WY and back into Yellowstone. You can do it in a day but since you aren't hurting for time, you could spend the night along the route.
Feb 25th, 2004, 10:56 AM

I always fly into SLC and drive from there. I spend a night in Idaho Falls and drive up from there, 2 hours. I get groceries and supplies in Idaho Falls, as resources become limited after you leave Idaho Falls.

For a stop in the commute, I like to stop at Lava Hot Springs in Idaho.

I always leave an extra day at the end of the trip to tour Salt Lake City. Nice shopping malls and of course the Temples.

Search this Thread