Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Will they want to see my AAA card at Waikoloa Hilton? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/will-they-want-to-see-my-aaa-card-at-waikoloa-hilton-484136/)

ccalhoon Nov 3rd, 2004 01:53 PM

Will they want to see my AAA card at Waikoloa Hilton?

We are going to stay at the Waikoloa Hilton for 2 nights before we check into our time share Kona Hawaiian Village, you get a better rate with the AAA rate, but I don't have my own card, if I use my moms number when booking on line, do you think the hotel staff will ask to see the card when I get there? Thanks!

jor Nov 3rd, 2004 03:05 PM

There's always a few cheaters that make it more difficult for the rest of us. I hope they ask to see the card.

Anonymous Nov 3rd, 2004 03:13 PM

Amen, jor!

nytraveler Nov 3rd, 2004 05:08 PM

Yes! I've used it for hotel discounts several times and they always asked to see the card. Perhpas you could change your name?

jimjim Nov 3rd, 2004 05:40 PM

You can add a membership on to your Mom's membership for very litt.e

cawhite Nov 3rd, 2004 05:41 PM

It's not very expensive to just go ahead and join AAA. Besides the hotel discounts, you get all the maps you need, travel services, and roadside assistance throughout the year. And the AAA card discounts apply in your own home town in many restaurants.

janis Nov 3rd, 2004 05:45 PM

hey - don't be such a cheapskate. pony up for an AAA membership of your own . . . . . .

rex_skidmore Nov 3rd, 2004 06:49 PM

ccalhoon : If you cannot afford the AAA membership, you likely cannot afford a reliable car, and you really cannot afford to pay for a tow truck service when that car breaks. Get the card.
Pay the $125 for premium membership. Hotel discounts, Disney tickets, maps, towing for 100 miles - Free. The benefits far outweigh the cost, don't you agree?

giro Nov 3rd, 2004 08:33 PM

Rex-...no i don't agree; at least about the PREMIUM membership. The "premium" part appears to be an overpriced insurance policy...gee free bail bonds if i need it...whoopee. As a long time member, a regular membership seems quite sufficient. As for showing the card at check in; sometimes they ask and sometimes they don't. In light of the fact that so many hotels give 10% discounts for AAA, AARP etc, I don't necessarily begrudge the guy who tries to get a discount; they practically give you one if you have a pulse.

gail Nov 4th, 2004 01:59 AM

I was staying at a hotel with my teenage son on trip to his college (different last names) and booked AAA rate on his card (I do not have membership). Had to go collect him and card from car to get discount.

beachgirl86 Nov 4th, 2004 03:02 AM

I stayed at 2 hotels in Hawaii this summer (Oahu and BI) under my AAA discount and none of them asked to see my card upon check in...and I got upgraded for free at both of them :)

Sidepockets Nov 4th, 2004 03:44 AM

You can get free towing, road service, etc. on some auto insurance for about $5.00 a year. No tour guides or maps.

nkd Nov 4th, 2004 04:12 AM

Yes, they WILL ask for your AAA card. They not only want to see your card but they will check it carefully to verify expiration date and your name. If you won't have your own card they will apply a regular rate which could be much higher at check-in then you would find on line. Too many people like you try to get discounts they do not deserve. Pay your dues and get your own card. As you see many people here are members of AAA, one of them won't be able to get a special rate because you are cheating. There are only limited number of rooms designated for AAA members. You are not AAA member

ElCheapo Nov 4th, 2004 04:21 AM

Good news - you get bail bonds with the most basic AAA membership. I just applied for a membership for my teen driver and he was sent the bail bond card. And I'm in complete agreement about not abusing AAA membership to get a hotel discount. Get your AAA card or ante up for the hotel.

rex_skidmore Nov 4th, 2004 11:22 AM

giro : what is the variance in annual towing miles for free between the two card membership levels?
What is the variance in cost between the two membership levels?
Compare/contrast & talk among yourself.

gail Nov 4th, 2004 11:44 AM

We pay $45/year for our son's membership - I think it is something like an addition $25 for additional members at same address. There is a premium membership for $125 - you would have to decide yourself if that upgrade would be worth it.

As far as discounts, once one is 50 you can join AARP and get usually same discounts - spouse joins for free. So for us, once one of us turned 50 we cancelled AAA - preferred to "self-insure" for roadside assistance since have needed that only once in last 10 years with 3 cars in family!

Son is less responsible about upkeep on his car, never shcecks the gas tank, and has an old clunker car - so for him, we get the membership.

Patrick Nov 4th, 2004 01:20 PM

Here's something really interesting. I have often asked about AARP discount and been told what it was. Ask the same phone person about a "senior" discount and it is often even less. Another reason we both gave up AARP.
And I'm not sure I've ever seen an AARP discount that was less than the AAA rate.

I have been asked to see my AAA card, and once when I had removed it from my wallet (just back from Europe) they took away the quoted discount because I couldn't produce the card at check-in.

And how about the time I got a quote on AARP, AAA, and senior at a Wyndham Hotel and found out the Costco discount was better than any of the other ones!

Anonymous Nov 4th, 2004 01:36 PM

I've found that AAA and AARP discounts are usually the same. I haven't inquired about other "senior" discounts, because AARP, with its over-50 admissions, is the only senior thing I"m eligble for so far! But I"ll certainly keep that in mind.

My skinflint dad asks "Do you give a senior citizens discount?" pretty much any time he takes out his wallet. You'd be surprised at the places that do!

Patrick Nov 4th, 2004 01:42 PM

This reminds me that friends were traveling and stopped at a motel along the interstate -- I think a Hampton Inn. He pulled out what he thought was his AARP card and said "do you give a discount for this?" The clerk looked at it and said "OK" then gave them a 10% discount. As he put it away, he realized it wasn't the AARP card, but his local bridge club membership card! So I guess the moral is, it never hurts to ask!

Anonymous Nov 4th, 2004 01:52 PM

Maybe ccalhoun plays bridge?