Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Will my husband need a coat and tie for dining in New Orleans?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 06:34 AM
Sheila

I finally have my date set for New Orleans - Mar 1 - 8. Will my husband need a coat and tie for dining at the nicer restaurants in New Orleans or will casual dress be ok (khakis)? Which are the best restaurants that accept casual dress? I would appreciate any advice as this is our first trip to the city and we are looking forward to it.

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 07:10 AM
L

Certainly take a coat and tie for the nicer places in NO. No question. Ciao

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 07:13 AM
Cheryl

Some of the better restaurants (i.e., Commanders Palace) will require coat/tie, but many will not (i.e., NOLA, Mr. B, Bayona, Pelican Club, Bella Luna). To be on the safe side, I would recommend that your husband bring one, then you will be all set. Also, when I was in New Orleans the end of May I made reservations several weeks in advance and still had trouble getting the days/times I wanted at some of the more popular, better restaurants ... so I would recommend calling ahead. This way you can also check about any dress code policies.

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 07:25 AM
L

Just a question: this issue of whether to pack the hubby a coat and tie shows up rather frequently, and I'm perplexed ... is this a real concern for people packing luggage? It's been my experience that women in restaurants tend to dress more nicely than men ... could this mean that the packers are subjecting the packees to a different standard. How often do women post and ask how dressy a dress they should take along? But somehow for the guy it's always this raging issue about khakis vs. coat and tie. I think it's time the guys stepped up the dress code a bit. What IS the big deal about a coat and a tie ... it's thrown my whole day off schedule. gt;> Ciao

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 07:50 AM
Sheila

Thanks Cheryl. Some cities are more casual than others. I will check like you suggested when I make reservations. To L: My husband is a more casual dresser than I am and since this is our first trip to the city, I wanted to ask so I would know if I should pack them. I hate to overpack something we don't need. Thanks

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 08:15 AM
L

Very sensible. Enjoy NO ... terrific city. Ciao

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 09:00 AM
kal

I'll be in NOLA in 16 more days.
I'll be the one with the Hawaiian shirt, checked Big Dog shorts, sandals with knee hi sox, ballhat and a camera around my neck....Is that wrong?

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 09:07 AM
L

I just bet you'll be the one rinsing out your socks in that French bubbly ... what the heck are you doing in NO ... we heard you got washed away at the base of the WM during the fireworks. It was a great story anyway ... Ciao