Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Will be traveling to the bay area with an infant

Old Jan 13th, 2001, 07:48 AM
John

I will be traveling to the bay area end of January - early Frbruary for about ten days with my wife and our 12 month old daughter. We are planning to spend our first 3 to 5 days in SF and next 2 days in Stanford U. area visiting friends. After that, We are debating how to spend 3 to 5 days after that.

Q1. We are considering Mandarin or Ritz at SF. Any comments on either properties or suggestions on compatible accomodation. Since we are traveling with an infant, comfort for the baby and the mother is of main concern.

Q2. Suggestion on things to do in SF

Q3. Suggestion on comfortable accomodation near Stanford U.

Q4. We are considering a trip to either (a) Yosemite Park or (b) Sonoma Valley or (c)South to Carmel its vicinities
Any suggestion on these areas and recommended lodging and restaurants will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

JL

Old Jan 13th, 2001, 10:06 AM
Tracy

I'm from florida, but I'll never forget the trip my husband and I had to SF and vicinities 10 years ago. We did all of the usual tourist things, but some esp. good memories were....the sea lions on pier 39, eating lunch and fresh sourdough bread there(at the pier), seeing the city from a distance at the top of Twin Peaks, taking a champagne brunch cruise on "The Hornblower" yacht in the bay, looking at the Golden Gate from way up high at the view areas on the North end of the bridge, watching the sunrise at the "Coit Tower", 1 lunch in China Town, a ride on a cable car and of course a ride down Lombard street(the corrkedest street in the world). We also went to the Japanese Tea Garden which was very scenic and serene.(we enjoy plants and Botanical gardens.)A few places to watch a nice sunset in SF were Ghiradelli Square and "the Cliff House".
For wine country we did Napa, and Sterling Vineyards was esp. nice.
A trip to Muir Woods(to the north of SF and on the way to wine country) was the absolute best part of the whole trip. The giant redwoods were phenominal and breath taking.
We also went south, to Big Sur, which was totally awesome. The drive along the Pacific Coast Highway was nice, including the famous Pebble Beach 17 mile scenic drive. We only stopped for lunch in Carmel. One last place we visited was Santa Cruz-and the famous boardwalk on the beach /carnival. Complete with roller coaster!! It was alot of fun.
I hope these ideas will get you started on your way to a terrific time in SF and the area. I absolutely loved it. I'm sure you will do fine with the baby, just don't forget the stroller, and warm clothes.!!

Old Jan 14th, 2001, 05:38 AM
John

Sounds like you had a wonderful time. Thanks for taking They all sound wonderful and great help on our trip to the bay.

JL

Old Jan 14th, 2001, 10:04 AM
sharon

OK, I am a local, but I have no children of my own, so I will do my best by putting on my Aunt Sharon hat and answering your questions.

1. The Ritz is your best choice from a service perspective. You, your wife and baby will have all your needs met. In addition, The Ritz is set off of a busy street, so it will be more quiet than most other hotels in the middle of town. Good choice. The Terrace is very kid friendly for meals, however the Dining Room is a bit froo froo for baby.

2. Just this Christmas I gave my sister a book by Fodor's "Around San Francisco with kids." There were some great suggestions and here are the ones we have enjoyed with my now 2 year old niece:

* Steinhart Aquarium (is a must!) in the California Academy of Sciences in Golden Gate Park; while in the Park, visit the BEST playground in the city (for all ages) with an amazing carousel (only 25 cents!) in Sharon meadow. Oh, and head out to the beach when you are all done with that.

* Normally Children's Fairyland in Oakland is a wonderful suggestions, but I believe they are doing construction right now. 510-452-2259

* Of course, the sea lions are a treat for children of all ages.

* San Francisco Zoo, if the weather is nice. That reminds me, bring plenty of layers and rain gear for this time of year.

* Exploratorium (although they say 2 and up) might hold something for your little one.

* Moscone carousel, in the Moscone center accross from Sony Metreon. We just rode on it yesterday. $2, but she enjoyed her 3 rides very much!

* Bay Area discovery museum, may be too old for her, too. Kind of depends what they have going on right now. http://www.badm.org/ Looks like it is a Dr. Seuss exhibit... that could be really fun! Not to mention, it has a great location at the base of the Golden Gate Bridge (on the North side).

I will post this and then work on your other questions.

Old Jan 14th, 2001, 10:15 AM
sharon

OK, back again.
Q3, I have no recommendations... sorry.

Q4. All of the trips you mention are a bit of a drive for a 12 month old unless the baby likes to ride in cars. Here is the best I can do with these areas.

a) Yosemite will be very snowy. So keep in mind that you will be visiting winter if you choose to go there. Beautiful none-the-less!

b) Sonoma is beautiful, but we are in rainy season, so if it is raining, you may spend a great deal of time in doors so choose a location that you WANT to be just in case.

c) Carmel is lovely, but a bit of a drive. If you do go, make sure to check out the Moneterey Bay Aquarium. Your child will be thrilled.

That is the best I can do right now. If I think of more I will come back.

Old Jan 16th, 2001, 06:02 AM
John

Dear Sharon,

THanks for taking your time and posting such thoughtful infos. We've been away from the states for a couple of years due to our work and we are excited and looking forward spending few weeks in the states. THanks again for the info.

JL