Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Will be hiking the narrows in Zion and need advice on protecting my camera.

Old Jun 6th, 2004, 08:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,
I will be soon hiking the Narrows in Zion and am concerned about taking my new digital camera. Can anyone offer some advice ,that has done this hike or similiar hikes(involving water)of how you kept your camera protected? I thought about a waterproof backpack but, I'm still concerned of damaging my camera. Thanks for your help.
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 11:22 PM

zip lock bag inside a fanny pack.
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 11:59 PM

I use a SealLine Dry Case. I bought mine from campmor.com. I use ziplock bags when I'm walking/hiking in the rain. However, for situations where my backpack may get submersed in water, I use the SealLine Dry Case. Spending a little extra to protect a $1000 digital camera is well worth it for me.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 04:44 PM

I'd leave the nice camera behind and take a disposable. If I couldn't do that, I'd also go for the dry case. I have something like it that I got at REI. We hiked just a little of the Narrows almost exactly a year ago, and my husband took his regular camera on a strap around his neck and walked carefully. I think he was a little stupid, but it worked out okay.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 04:52 PM

Either use a disposable camera or buy good quality postcards. Not kidding - why worry about a camera when there's a big world waiting to be seen?
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 07:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your advice. I think the dry case should work. I did a little research on it and it sounds good. I'm having trouble finding a waterproof backpack though. Thanks again.
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 11:49 AM

Here's a piece of advice I read recently about backpacks and water: don't worry about a waterproof one, but pack a regular backpack with everything in ziplocks and heavy duty trash bags. That will help the pack float as well as keeping your stuff dry. I think that's what I'd try, but there are also waterproof duffels for rafters, kayakers, etc.
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 11:59 AM

Most backpacks are somewhat waterproof, but if you still feel the need then look at pack covers as well. When we backpack we use trash compactor bags to line the inside with since they are much sturdier than garbage bags. We have backpacked in the rain many times (comes from living in the PNW) and climbed mountains with our digital camera and have never had a problem.
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 12:17 PM

It seems to me that the heavy duty ziplock freezer bags should be enough. The water is only ankle deep so if you're in any deeper, you have greater issues that worrying about your camera (like not drowning). My opinion is: what's the point of having a great camera if you're afraid to bring it with you.
The best idea of all is to call your insurance agent and get a rider to cover the camera in case you DO drop it in the water. You'll also be covered if someone steals it from your car ot motel room. This is just what insurance is good for. Relax and enjoy the hike.