Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Will a 10 year old enjoy "A Christmas Carol or Radio City Music Hall Show"?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 07:41 AM
Laura

Will be having a weekend in NYC, December 27-29 and just wondered if my 10 year old son would enjoy these shows or are they geared towards the younger children?

Thanks for any help. It will be our second trip and looking forward to seeing the city at Christmas.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 07:45 AM
Not on

10 year old boys do not enjoy shows...period. 10 year old boys enjoy video games, and sports.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 07:54 AM
Laura

Thank you for your helpful reply (she says sarcastically)

My son does enjoy theatre. He's been to quite a few shows for his young age. He is probably at the maturity level of most 13-14 years olds right now. (I realize that is an oxymoron.)

I wanted a proper answer as tickets are expensive and we don't get to New York every day. I know these shows get great reviews, just don't know what age they cater to.

And yes, he'll be going back to the sports place in Times Square with the video games!

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 07:58 AM
Philip

I think he'll enjoy Radio City Show, it definitely has something for all ages.

I can't speak for ACC because I've not seen the MSG version.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 08:01 AM
aMom

10 year old boys can sit through live theater. I think he's just the right age for a Christmas Carol. I don't think it would be too babyish. Another show he may enjoy is The Prince and the Pauper which is off-broadway in a very nice small theater and it features 2 10 year old boys. My 11 year old son loved it. You can find discounts to it on either hitshowclub.com, playbill.com or theatermania.com.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 08:02 AM
orgy7

I remember when I was 10 years old and went too time square in the early 80's it was a magical place.. 42 ST, PEEP SHOWS..XXX. SPACE BALLS the flick.

might as well catch the LION KING , I hear it's ending soon.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 08:19 AM
Laura

Thanks for the serious replies!
I really hate to go and not see a Christmas themed show. I know I'll enjoy it!
I keep hearing that the Radio City Hall one is "THE ONE" to see.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 08:23 AM
Mike

My boys saw both shows when they were in that age group a few years back, and both enjoyed it. You know you child better than these some of the clowns who've posted a reply. If he does well with other shows and at the movies, he'll be fine. If he is the type who gets suqirrely after sitting in a theatre for 90 minutes at a time, then pass. I don't think of either of these shows as necessarily geared towards younger children - in fact, most adults I know enjoy them!

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 08:24 AM
Jill

Laura, I saw the Radio City Music Hall show in Chicago a couple of years ago. While no children were with me, many were seated near us, and seemed to enjoy it and not be fidgety. I thought it was cool, fun, and "Christmasy". Have fun!

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 08:42 AM
pam

I took my son many years ago, at that age. He seemed to like it quite well. I don't think it would be a problem. You know him best, if he isn't fidgety or extremely hyper, and is easily entertained I would think he would enjoy it quite well. Go and enjoy. It is a fabulous show.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 09:12 AM
ramjet

Christmas 2000 we took our 8 year old son to Radio City Music Hall Christmas Spectacular and he LOVED it. Great family fun, a not to be missed when in NYC at Christmas.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 09:13 AM
Kat

I've taken my sons to see both the Christmas show at Radio City and "A Christmas Carol" The enjoyed "A Christmas Carol" much more than Radio City - in fact we've seen "A.C.C." at least 5 times to see the various actors who have played Scrooge over the years. We started taking them when they were 4 and 6 years old.

Have fun.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 09:36 AM
aj

Radio City. Plus there are plenty of wonderful Xmas sights to visit....the skating rink, the tree, the holiday windows at Saks 5th, the NBC Experience store, St. Patricks Cathedral, the Pokeman store.

For a quick great bite to eat, check out the concourse in the RCA (NBC) building right across the street from Radio City. About 12 different eateries.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 09:36 AM
aj

Radio City. Plus there are plenty of wonderful Xmas sights to visit....the skating rink, the tree, the holiday windows at Saks 5th, the NBC Experience store, St. Patricks Cathedral, the Pokeman store.

For a quick great bite to eat, check out the concourse in the RCA (NBC) building right across the street from Radio City. About 12 different eateries.