Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Wildflowers Blooming at Joshua Tree National Park

Mar 1st, 2008, 07:26 PM
Original Poster

The southern entrance is having a spectacular bloom now, and predicted to last for the next month. The Bajada Nature Trail is especially good (Cottonwood area). It's easy to access this part of JTNP if you're in the Coachella Valley, continue east on I-10 past Indio to the Cottonwood exit.

http://www.pe.com/localnews/inland/s...1.428c7d4.html
Mar 1st, 2008, 07:43 PM

Oh mlgb, I wish I could be there! Thank you for posting.
Mar 2nd, 2008, 03:45 AM

Thank you for posting. My heart is crying because I am not there. Do you think wildflowers are still going be in bloom when I get there March 23rd?
Mar 2nd, 2008, 07:45 AM

There was a terrific article about desert blooms in yesterdays (Sat. March 1) Weekend Journal/Wall Street Journal, some great photos ..

Not something I ever thought much about, it looks spectacular!
Mar 2nd, 2008, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

I think you might still see wildflowers by your visit, especially if it doesn't get too hot. You can check by calling the Joshua Park phone line (760-367-6392). Also the website desertusa.com is very good for all wildflower updates.

In the meantime, I posted my photos, although it doesn't capture the fragrance!

http://picasaweb.google.com/kiwifann...reeFlowers2008
Mar 3rd, 2008, 07:40 AM

mlgb, thank you for sharing your great pictures.
Mar 3rd, 2008, 09:47 AM

I was there last week (2/26) with my BIL. He says in the 25 years he has lived there, this is amongst the top 3 best years for desert bloom. I took a bunch of pictures but do not have a share place for them...sorry.

It was a great diversion from my Chicago home winter...but now I am back!

Do check out www.desertusa.com for current status.

Mar 8th, 2008, 07:48 AM
ymn

MLGB, your photos are awesome! I hope there are some blooms left when I get there at the end of March. What kind of camera do you use?
Mar 8th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Hope you still get to see the blooms.

My camera is a nothing special, an Olympus point and shoot digital several years old, with a setting for closeups and an optical zoom. I picked an Olympus since I trust their lens optics.

Their new cameras priced at around $150 are just as good or better than what I use.

Nov 18th, 2008, 06:23 AM

mlgb, I know it was many months and a few trips ago when we visited Joshua Tree National Park but in another post you reminded me of blooming wildflowers in March. I want to thank you for your great and informative post with gorgeous pictures of wildflowers. We got there in time for a plethora of wildflowers in bloom. It was a spectacular show. Seeing such display of colors and variety of species in bloom was simply breathtaking. Wildflowers were almost gone at the south entrance but plenty everywhere else. Before we got to JTNP we spent a few days in Death Valley NP and wildflowers were almost as fantastic as in Joshua. Mojave National Preserve had fantastic wildflowers too. We didn't stay in the area overnight but spent most of the day on the way from Death Valley to Joshua Tree. Where do you stay if you want to hike in Mojave NP?
Nov 18th, 2008, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

It sounds like you were very lucky on the wildflowers, 210. I went up to Death Valley the year they had the one-in-hundred rainfall (when there was a lake a few feet deep) and it was spectacular.

I'm ashamed to admit I've never stopped in Mojave NP. There's a hotel in Yermo near Calico Ghost Town, but I've not stayed there. Maybe post a separate thread here or on tripadvisor.
Nov 18th, 2008, 08:16 AM

I have reservations in Joshua Tree and Death Valley. Also one free night in between. So Yermo is possibility for hiking one day in Mojave NP. Wildflowers in March in this park were incredible.
Nov 18th, 2008, 09:21 AM

We already have springbreak planned for 09. Are the wildlowers always decent around mid-March? We like to hike, what else is there to do? Is camping or hotel in 29 Palms more desirable thing to do?