Wigwam Motel in Holbrook, Az

Old Feb 21st, 2004, 04:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wigwam Motel in Holbrook, Az

Was planning to stay there one night in March. Have heard some negative comments. Any thoughts from you all? Thanks.
Old Feb 21st, 2004, 07:15 PM

I've always thought it sounded like it would be a "hoot" to stay there. Of course there will be some negative comments. How much can you expect from a place that was built to look like teepees have a century ago and only costs $48 or less a night. You can't expect a Ritz for that! Go so you can say you spend a night in a wigwam, there's no other logical reason to stay there.
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 04:50 AM

Yes, STAY there, its a blast! Theres nothing like waking up in a concrete wigwam!

It's spotlessly clean, very small, with a 70ish tv that appropriately picks up only NICK at NIGHT. Theres no tub, just an angled shower, so my 6'3" Clark did his contortion thing
I had also read the reviews so called ahead to request a room with new mattresses. Slept like a baby that night.

Dinner at Romo's (sp?) Mexican Restaurant on old rt. 66 was tasty, then explored the old county courthouse, complete with a scarier jail than Alcatraz. Native American dancers entertained the small crowd outside the courthouse.

Truly one of the most simply fun nights our family has shared on our eight (8) summers of out-west vacation road-trips!!! We giggled ALOT, and so will you.
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 01:07 PM

We drove through the area on Route 66 last October ... Motel looked to be in OK shape with vintage cars parked outside, although the general area around there was nothing special and actually a bit run down. If we had more time we would have driven a bit further along Rt 66 to Winslow, where I understand they do up the "Route 66" thing in town a bit more. I guess there's even a "Standin on the Corner Park" where people stop to take a picture. (Remember that Eagles song, "Well I'm standin on the corner in Winslow Arizona ...") Maybe others can comment since we didn't make it to Winslow.
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 06:50 PM

Hi Cher, yes the town of winslow has capitalized on the 'standin on the corner' song. Winslow was a gas stop for us, so we took a pic of the kids 'standin' on the corner', and moved on. Not much else to do there (think Tombstone, if you've been there).

I wouldn't make winslow OR holbrook a destination, but if its near your route going somewhere else (like it was for us) and you need a place to stay, a night at The Wigwam will be a fun, memorable experience.

Just an opinion from a hilton (biz) / hampton inn (tourist) queen.