Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Wicked the Broadway Play (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/wicked-the-broadway-play-651111/)

cdbooth1 Oct 5th, 2006 11:57 AM

Wicked the Broadway Play

I am planning to take my 13 year old to see Wicked on Broadway. I was wanting her to read the novel first but I've been hearing the novel is a bit racey. I will read it myself, but in the interest of time I was wanting your opinions - 1.Is Wicked an appropriate show on Broadway? And 2.Is the novel appropriate for a 13 year old?

Thanks,
Donna

doug_stallings Oct 5th, 2006 12:00 PM

I think most 13 year-olds would find the novel Wicked to be rather slow-going as it's not a YA book but rather a retelling of a famed children's story for adults, as is the sequal. The musical has much more appeal and was adapted and shaped with the family market in mind.

emd Oct 5th, 2006 12:03 PM

The show is totally appropriate for a 13 yr old. I took my daughter when she was 13, and ended up going back to see it again w/my 14 yr old son. Absolutely nothing racey about it. I can't see how anyone could find anything racey about the play.

Have no idea re the book. Personally I'd rather see the play first on i ts own merits and be surprised, even though I've heard the book is very different. The production is very good.

bardo1 Oct 5th, 2006 12:17 PM

Agree - the show is absolutely appropriate for a 13 year old. The novel is not.

joan Oct 5th, 2006 12:26 PM

I read the book before I went to the play. It is much different, very dark, quite sexual, much more detailed of course. I did like it though!

I agree with bardo, yes to the play, no to the book.

parr72 Oct 5th, 2006 12:32 PM

the musical was wonderful, your 13yr old will love it. the book is also very good - but more appropriate for adults.

JJ5 Oct 5th, 2006 12:41 PM

Totally agree. Yes to the play and that goes for much younger folks as well- my pre-teen adored it. No, to the book as it isn't even in the same league.

You do not need to know the story or any plot beforehand. Girls know all about being "popular" and a pinup beauty or NOT being popular or a pinup beauty. LOL!

You'll enjoy it too. It's also about aspirations.

Keith Oct 5th, 2006 01:10 PM

If I'm not mistaken, the book isn't even the same story.

Keith

escargot Oct 5th, 2006 01:23 PM

JJ5 hit the nail on the head:
irls know all about being "popular" and a pinup beauty or NOT being popular or a pinup beauty. LOL!

yes to play no to book for me too.

although if she doesn't know it, you may want to forewarn her it is not 'the wizard of oz' movie as a show - it's a different angle within the story - most relatives of ours that age loved it - a great night for the two of you

skatedancer Oct 5th, 2006 02:19 PM

my daughter saw it this summer (13 yo, almost 14). It is her favorite Broadway show and she listens to the CD every single day over and over!

She just read the book (whoops, I had no idea it might be racy). She said it really wasn't like the show; she liked parts, but felt it was boring sometimes.

Don't find out too much about the show's plot beforehand; the fun is seeing where they take the story!

emd Oct 5th, 2006 02:29 PM

you're right, it is racy, not racey.

I mean, it isn't racy- the show that is.

The word that does not describe the show is racy, not racey.

concernedposter Oct 5th, 2006 04:56 PM

Much of the play is about a green sister and a white sister and the prejudices they face. I'd say that makes it pretty racey.