Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Wicked (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/wicked-617133/)

starrsville May 20th, 2006 06:05 PM

Wicked

Yeah! Finally got to see Wicked. I have worn out one CD soundtrack and am on my second. To call me a fan of the music is a huge understatement. I thought it was wonderful. It is hard to imagine how others could or would not enjoy it - especially Act II - but it truly illustrates different strokes for different folks!

I'm going back for the second time this Thursday. Cannot wait. I enjoyed it FAR more than Hairspray, Mamma Mia and any other "light" musical I've seen. For any Fodorites trying to make decisions, I definitely give Wicked my kudos.

Just MHO, of course! :-)

starrsville May 26th, 2006 10:45 AM

Saw it again last night. Amazing. Am considering going to London there to see it - Idina Menzel (Tony Award winner) is opening up the London run. Missed her in NYC - maybe its time to cross the pond!

Byrd May 26th, 2006 12:26 PM

Our daughter-in-law and 13-year-old granddaughter are going to see in in Atlanta this weekend.

Granddaughter is so excited. She sings and is somewhat bitten by the stage bug.

starrsville May 26th, 2006 12:29 PM

Byrd, I just got an email from the Fox Theatre about a week-long "Broadway Camp" in Atlanta this summer.

It sounds like something your granddaughter would love!

Woody May 26th, 2006 12:33 PM

We saw Wicked and it was quite enjoyable.

In February, we also saw Kristin Chenoweth in concert at the Walt Disney Concert Hall. She originated the role of Glinda, the Good Witch of the North, and is on the Wicked CD. A gifted performer!

Woody

starrsville May 26th, 2006 12:40 PM

She was also on West Wing and now the movie, RV.

Idina Menzel originated Elphaba and was the original Maureen in Rent. She was in the movie as well.

I would have LOVED to have seen them on the stage together.

Saw a bit of Ellen yesterday and Kristin was a "good witch" coaching Ellen on how to sing with gusto. Similar costume to Glida's.

padams421 May 26th, 2006 12:56 PM

We're seeing Wicked tonight.

inthechips2 May 26th, 2006 01:19 PM

We were lucky enough to see Wicked soon after opening with Idina Menzel and Kristen Chenoweth, and the two of them together really made that show (did my daughter tell me it was written with them in mind???). Was really tempted to try to get to London to see Idina in that performance. Highly recommend the show. I too listen quite often to the CD ;)

seetheworld May 26th, 2006 01:25 PM

Can anyone tell me when it opens in London? :)

inthechips2 May 26th, 2006 01:30 PM

I believe late September - I saw it on playbill.com. I also think it said Idina will leave the cast in January.

starrsville May 26th, 2006 01:44 PM

Yep, as they retooled the book for Broadway and decided to focus of the friendship of Glinda and Elphaba, they developed Glinda with Kristin in mind.

If there are any big fans out there - or grandmothers, etc. who want a great gift for big fans, buy The Grimmerie.

seetheworld May 26th, 2006 01:47 PM

Oh, too bad -- will be in London in July.

inthechips2 May 26th, 2006 02:05 PM

Yes, I'm very tempted just to GO, get a good deal and see the show there. Thanks for the Grimmerie tip - might be a good gift for my tech theatre grad (although I wonder if perhaps she already knows about it ... would you think those that follow the theatre world all know about the The Grimmerie, Starrsville?)

starrsville May 26th, 2006 02:22 PM

You can find The Grimmerie = and other Wicked stuff at
http://www.wickedthemusical.com/

But, I bought mine at B&N or Borders at a discount.

There's some "Elphaba" and "Glinda" earrings that might be nice for a young fan.

I bought the hat last night. I'm ready for the boat tomorrow!

Brookside May 26th, 2006 02:41 PM

Wow! Just bought my dd and I tickets to see "Wicked" in Chicago next week. A first for us both - very excited!

Wallace_and_Gromit May 26th, 2006 02:53 PM

I saw it at the Fox (Atlanta) last Thursday afternoon.

I am a real theatre fanatic and always have to check out the new shows.

I really enjoyed it too. - I haven't read the book but I heard it was really depressing. I am so glad they made the musical a "happy" translation. I know there are a lot of people who disagree, but there is too much sadness in the world. I choose entertainment to escape reality - and I am a sucker for a happy ending!! (There, I said it!)

I was not disappointed with the show at all! (and darn if I'm not still singing "Popular" - Will I ever get that song out of my head?!) :D

starrsville May 26th, 2006 02:57 PM

W&G, I was there too. I liked last Thursday's Elphaba better than last night's. Actually, a couple of stand-bys were better at the matinee last Thursday. Last night's Fiyero was a guy with short dark hair. Liked the long curly haired dude much better! :-)

inthechips2 May 26th, 2006 03:01 PM

I read (tried to anyhow) the book AFTER seeing the show, and to be honest, I didn't like it much at all. It didn't seem much like the show at all. That isn't necessarily why I didn't enjoy it, but I never did finish it. I do know others who absolutely loved the book.

The best part of the show for me, personally, is a tie between the great music and the awesome sets. Having a tech theatre major in the family, you look at shows in a whole different light. There was a lot going on technically in that show and it is really enjoyable to see it work well. Nothing like live theatre.

We will probably see it for a third time when it plays in Seattle in September.

Wallace_and_Gromit May 26th, 2006 03:10 PM

starrsville,

Too bad I didn't know that you were there! I could have introduced myself during intermission :) (I'm female by the way, LOL :D )

I see from the ads they gave us that Beauty and Beast is coming back!! I LOVE that show. (and wouldn't mind seeing Molly Ringwald in Sweet Charity either.)

starrsville May 26th, 2006 03:11 PM

Are you coming to the Georgia GTG on the 24th?