Notices

Wichita Help

Jun 13th, 2007, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

Wichita Help

Can anyone offer their opinion of the Prairie Rose Chuckwagon Supper. Would it be worthwhile for a middle-aged couple spending a week in the area? Thanks
Jun 18th, 2007, 05:45 AM

I guess that depends on your interests. I think that Wichita is pretty interesting, but probably would stay there only 3 or 4 days, and visit another Kansas area the balance of the week.

The Old Town area of Wichita with its museums, entertainment and restaurants is good for a day. The river area with the Arboretum and another crop of museums is good for another.

The Sedgwick County Zoo is one of the best zoos in the country. And you might take in a minor league baseball game.

Hutchinson & Yoder, 40 miles northwest are good for a day trip. Yoder has Amish & Mennonite businesses. Hutchinson has a new Salt Mine Museum, and the (World Class) Kansas Cosmosphere & Space Center.

I would take the rest of the week and visit the northcentral, and northwest portions of the state, visiting such places as the Castle Rock Badlands, Monument Rocks, Sternberg Museum of Natural History, Boyer Gallery in Belleview, Pawnee Indian Village Museum, Rock City, Lindsborg, and the Lucas Grassroots Art Center & Garden of Eden.

Keith
Jun 20th, 2007, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. We are dog sitting for the week and are kinda limited to our travels. The Wichita stuff sounds great.
Jul 9th, 2007, 09:24 PM

I've never been to the Prairie Rose Chuckwagon. Drive by it everytime we go to Wichita. Always wondered how it was. I'll be anxious to hear about it.
We were just in Wichita last week. Walked along the new (new to us anyway)River Walk around the Indian of the Plains statue. You can walk for several miles along the river, there's even a pedestrian bridge so you can walk on both sides. The (again - new to us) War Memorial Park is accessible from this river walk. Very nicely done.
Highly recommend the zoo. It's world class.
Botannical Gardens at Sim Park - beautiful.
Cosmosphere in Hutchinson is amazing. It's not that far and definately worth the day trip. Haven't been to the Salt Mines yet, but sounds interesting. Eat at Yoder on the way there or back. Delicious!
Do you golf? Excellent golf, various style courses, in the area.
Have fun dog sitting - and enjoy Wichita!

Search this Thread