Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Why would anyone want to get married at Disney World?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/why-would-anyone-want-to-get-married-at-disney-world-158534/)

Pondered Aug 9th, 2001 10:48 AM

Why would anyone want to get married at Disney World??

What is so great about getting married at WDW?

NotAClue Aug 9th, 2001 10:55 AM

Actually, after glancing at the post heading yesterday, I wondered the same thing myself. I hear it's really expensive. Are there really SO many Disney fanatics out there in the world that they can support an entire mini-industry within the Disney empire?

toeach Aug 9th, 2001 10:56 AM

People get married at WDW for the same reason people get married on the beach, underwater, sky-diving, in parks, at City Hall, in hotels and yes even in places of worship...because one size wedding does not fit all. Live and let live and go ponder more poignant topics.

Dolores Aug 9th, 2001 10:59 AM

Why does anyone get married where they do? Maybe the couple met there,had first date there, or got engaged there. Maybe they just love Mickey and are combining their Wedding and Honeymoon at the vacation capital of the US. Maybe they just like the idea of a fairytale complete with Cinderella's coach. I live in the Orlando area and have been to 2 disney weddings. Many people in this area have their wedding there simply because the Wedding chapel and grounds surrounding it are absolutely beautiful, it has nothing to do with liking Mickey. In fact, one wedding I went to there was very formal and there was nothing immature or "disney" about it. The wedding was held at the chapel and reception at the boardwalk hotel ballroom just like having a wedding anywhere else in the US. Why do you care?

ugh Aug 9th, 2001 11:03 AM

Dolores, when you answer a question do you always end it with "why do you care?" I would like to know what motivates people to pursue a wedding at WDW. Others might be interested too. Why do you care?

NotAClue Aug 9th, 2001 11:08 AM

My question was not a sarcastic one, I really wanted to know. I just wondered what the appeal was. I guess I imagined that every wedding held there would incorporate an extravaganza of Disneyana. Now I know that it offers other attractions besides Mickey and Minnie. And, that Miss Dolores, is why I was asking. No need to get so defensive.

Katie Aug 9th, 2001 11:11 AM

I think most people don't realize that you can have a "traditional" wedding on the grounds of WDW. It dosen't always involve all the characters. So, to Delores chill out, it was just a damn question! And for toeach, you obviously <BR>have nothing better to do either, you took the time to write your comment why dont you "ponder" other threads.

mickey Aug 9th, 2001 11:42 AM

I know a few Disney fanatics, and from conversations with them, I think I can give you an answer. <BR> <BR>The Disney "experience" presents life as people would like to see it -- smiling faces, clean streets, minimal conflict, green grass, etc. Fact is, people love the white-bread flavor of Disney (not that there's anything wrong with that). I'm not so surprised that people want to get married at WDW; what surprises me is that there aren't more people who ask to have their ashes spread there.

Monkey 1st, Hubby 2nd Aug 9th, 2001 11:45 AM

I got married at WDW for one simple reason: I knew that Mickey, Minnie, Winnie and the others would keep my monkey company.

ThankYouNo! Aug 9th, 2001 11:53 AM

I can't see why adults would even want to go to WDW for a vacation -- or at least, more than once. The rides are interesting (once). Beyond that, the only reason to go is to take your child.

thereuare Aug 9th, 2001 12:45 PM

... maybe her husband is Goofey! <BR>(sorry, couldn't resist)

I-Like-WDW-But Aug 9th, 2001 12:52 PM

There are several reasons people would get married at WDW: <BR>They may be trying to fulfil some childhood disappointment... <BR>They are immature and just like all the characters, smiling faces, etc... <BR>They are trying not to focus on what a marriage really is...Sacred Vows before God (not Mickey Mouse)... <BR>They may be trying to outdo some of their friends' theme weddings... <BR>They may just have so much money that a WDW wedding is the easiest way to drop a load, so they can feel they did the best wedding ever-just because it was so expensive... <BR>Anyway, the list goes on and on.... <BR>Don't get me wrong, just went to WDW...I LOVE IT, but would I ever get married there or want my daughter to get married there??? NEVER.

Haven'taclue Aug 9th, 2001 03:19 PM

Word circulates amoung the trailer park that a Disney wedding is the epitome of class? <BR> <BR>I have a feeling that those who have their weddings at Disneyworld are the same people who become the parents of the little girls in Beauty Pagents. Anyone else get that feeling?

Need-Definition Aug 10th, 2001 01:49 AM

Need the help of an English Major...... <BR> <BR> <BR>"Very formal wedding at an amusement park" <BR> <BR> <BR>Is the above considered an oxymoron or simply a contradiction of terms? <BR>

curious Aug 10th, 2001 04:29 AM

I believe it could be construed as either.

Walt Aug 10th, 2001 05:07 AM

There is much more to Disney than "an amusement park" Having a hotel in the Wedding Pavillion on its own island and a reeption at one of the deluxe hotels doesn't involve any portion of the amusement park and is just as formal as having your wedding at any upsale hotel in any US state. What does this have to do with beauty pageants anyway? Not sure I understand or follow that train of thought?

lulumae Aug 10th, 2001 05:15 AM

The trailer-park reference is a weak attempt at being a sophisticated snob and looking down at others' life styles. I'll bet the person who made that reference considers him/herself a "liberal."

Novel Idea Aug 10th, 2001 05:20 AM

Um, whatever happened to having your wedding at a church with your closest family and friends around you, and using the wedding and reception to bring together the two families involved? <BR> <BR>Oh, never mind.

Emmy Aug 10th, 2001 05:57 AM

And if you're not a Christian, where do you suggest having the wedding?

Novel Idea Aug 10th, 2001 06:07 AM

If you're not Christian, have your wedding at your local house of worship for your faith. <BR> <BR>If you have no faith, it makes no difference where you have it, does it?