Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Why is Princeville rarely mentioned for travellers to Kauai?

Jan 5th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

I am planning to stay in the Princeville area (Sealodge) in June for 3 nights, mainly due to the oceanfront condo availability. We plan to see the Na Pali Coast via boat and hiking, and also snorkel.

In doing my research, I notice that mostly Poipu is recommended. What am I missing that makes Poipu a better place to stay? None of the condo's I've looked at seem to be true oceanfront, most are oceanview. Is the general area better for any reason?

Thanks.
Jan 5th, 2009, 04:52 PM

During winter, Poipu is mentioned more because the weather is sunnier and ocean is calmer then. However, the Princeville area in the north can be lovely in June. It's on a bluff with wonderful views but you need to hike down or drive to the beach. Hanalei Bay is beautiful.

There are lots of longtime Kauai posters who can answer in more detail and already have with photos. Type in Kauai Hawaii search.
Jan 5th, 2009, 04:53 PM

We are trying to keep it a secret!
Jan 5th, 2009, 04:59 PM

But Songdoc's recent post and photos are so apropos, couldn't resist passing on......

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...=Songdoc&fid=1
Jan 5th, 2009, 04:59 PM

OMG, all that effort is paying off!
Jan 5th, 2009, 07:52 PM

We stayed at the Sea Lodge a few years ago. Didn't go to Poipu. Nothing's wrong with it--you'll love it! If you can swing the cost, I'd highly recommend a helicopter tour of Napali. Stunning.
Jan 5th, 2009, 08:14 PM

Princeville is really nice with great views but up on a bluff so you'd have to hike down to the beach, which means hiking back up later.

I'd personally prefer the N. Shore vs. Poipu if it is summer.

Our timeshare is in Lihue which is a great mid-point to both N. and S. shores.
Jan 6th, 2009, 04:02 PM

Maybe because it's simply a place to stay. There are no tourist attractions within Princeville -- and few restaurants.

Personally, I wouldn't stay anywhere but the North Shore -- regardless of the season. For me, Poipu is very nice -- but it's more generic. It feels like any nice beach resort. But the North Shore feels like Kauai to me.

and jojo46 -- thanks for plugging my pix
Jan 6th, 2009, 09:32 PM

you're welcome......was definitely worth sharing!
Jan 7th, 2009, 03:59 PM

The North Shore is to die for, we stayed at Pali Ke Kua and will never forget the views.
Jan 8th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Well, good then. I'm staying with the plan and staying in the Princeville area. Now which condo to stay in. I've looked at Sealodge and think that is the place, but Pali Ke Kua looks nice too. Decisions, decisions.
Jan 8th, 2009, 09:27 AM

I may be wrong, but the Pali Ke Kua units that face the ocean can see the NaPali coast and Makana Peak (Bali Hai) and the oceanfront units at Sea Lodge are oriented straight out to sea or towards Anini reef and Kilauea Lighthouse. Nice view either way.
Jan 8th, 2009, 11:20 AM

<We are trying to keep it a secret!>

Yes. I mean seriously, Princeville, Poipu, who cares? Squawking chickens running everywhere, blinding sunrises/sunsets, strong drinks, being forced to eat until you can't walk, waves crashing so loud you can't sleep, so many rainbows you get tired of looking at them.

Who needs that?
Jan 8th, 2009, 11:54 AM

I spent 6 nights in the Pali Ke Kua
condos. I spent $199 per night.
Here is my tripadvisor review:

Good:
View was amazing! Grounds were well maintained.
Steep hike to beach was like walking thru a rain forest
on a sidewalk.

Negatives:

Not a high end condo. Screen door wouldn't lock and as someone staying alone, this bothered me in the evenings.

NO AC! This was the worst part for me, as the condo faced west. It was unbearable between 4-7pm. The fans going on high helped, but the interior was about 85 degrees in the late afternoon. I am not kidding.

The pool is in the middle of the complex with bushes all around it, not on a bluff overlooking the ocean. If the pool had a view, I would have used it. I never used it.

There is a STEEP walk winding down to a rocky shore. Not much of a beach. You must be in some kind of physical shape to make this hike down, but more importantly: back up!!! The beach is not really swimmable.

I was on the first floor, and upon arrival the guest above me had their TV BLASTING. It totally ruined my Zen. When this happened at 8am during my coffee on the patio, I went up to the upstairs unit and complained. The elderly man was nice and said someone in their group was hard of hearing. I never heard it again. You can hear everything going on upstairs.

When I was packing to leave, I turned off the ceiling fan (it was 6am) and about 15 minutes later a HUGE spider came down from the ceiling fan inches from my face!! It was the size of a taranchula but had thinner legs.... I freaked and tried to pack and shower without seeing him again! I understand it's Kauai, and there is nature, but it didn't make me feel any better about seeing a gigantic spider!

The kitchen was sort of equipped, but didn't have basics that normal condos have: I had to shop for soap, oil, salt+pepper, etc; Other condos that I've stayed in have a better "set up".

The bi-fold door to the stacked washer and dryer didn't work, and it was a struggle in this small space to wrestle with this door.

Over all, the place needed some work.

Would I stay here again? NO. I think all of my money went towards the view (which was great)....

So many people raved about this condo on tripadvisor. Don't believe everything you read.

Definately get AC. I was not a happy camper during late afternoons.

Jan 9th, 2009, 06:45 AM

I've decided to stay in Princeville on my next trip, which is in April.
There are some terrific condo rates, both from private owners and from local agencies. Some are advertised; some you have to ask "can you do better on the rate?
I am finding several very nice
oceanfront units at Puu Poa, for instance, that are renting at $199 per night. The regular rates are in the $300-$350 range. This kind of luxury will be a rare treat. I usually stay in more modest condos as I would rather come more often than splurge on one trip. One reason for the discounts is that the Princeville Hotel won't reopen until July...or later. Many people who stay in condos enjoy going there for dinner, drinks, etc. Personally, I have never liked the marble and gold glitz of the hotel anyway. I can tell you that as I looked at condo occupancy calendars, those who are holding out at higher rates ofen had NO bookings for all of 2009.