Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Why I Would NEVER Let My Pet Travel On Airplanes

Old Feb 16th, 2006, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts

Losing my baggage with my suit and tie is one thing. If they don't find it, you can always buy another tie. However...

"NEW YORK -- Security crews have called off their search for a missing show dog at New York's Kennedy Airport. But a spokesman says airport officers will "keep their eyes open" for the whippet.

The 4-year-old dog, named Bohem C'est La Vie (Vivy), was on her way back to Ojai, Calif., on Wednesday when she got loose from her cage on the airport tarmac while waiting to board a Delta Air Lines flight.

Vivy broke out of her cage Wednesday at John F. Kennedy International Airport after winning an award for merit at the prestigious Westminster Kennel Club show in New York. More than 2,600 dogs were entered in the show at Madison Square Garden, including 25 whippets.

An airport spokesman said a day-long search of the airport's nearly 5,000 acres found no sign of the dog, who looks like a small greyhound.

The owner of the short-haired champion said she fears for the dog's safety in the chill of winter. She said Vivy was wearing a little black sweater, but her breed doesn't handle cold weather well."
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 11:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just can't imagine...#39;(
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 11:29 AM

I would always know where to find my beagle...just look for the nearest food stand!
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
My beagle (Bagel) once told me that she'd eat anything but airline food.
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 11:45 AM

When I was little, we brought my dog along on a flight to North Carolina. When we arrived, we learned there was a mixup and she had been sent elsewhere- to Wisconsin or something like that! She was returned on the next flight to NC, but it was very traumatazing for all of us!
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 11:55 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I feel differently about small dogs or cats that can fly in the cabin in a carrier tucked under the seat in front of you. That I would do.

Cargo hold - never!
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 05:10 PM

I would never send a pet in the cargo hold of a plane. But putting a pet under the seat in front of you concerns me because I know people that have serious cat allergies. Does the airline "warn" the passenger that has an animal under their seat, or besides them of in front or behind them?

I am not allergic to animals thank goodness and in all of my airflights I have never seen an animal on the plane but it is something I have always wondered about.
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 08:41 PM
TheWeasel

How is this the airline's fault exactly? The dog broke loose from her cage on the tarmac. It's not like losing luggage - they didn't lose her or ship her to the wrong destination. She broke out of her cage. If anything, that leads me to think the cage was defective.

And LoveItaly, you have an excellent point about allergies. I have friends with severe allergies who can't even be in my house for more than an hour or so. I can't imagine being stuck next to or close to a cat or dog for hours.

Old Feb 16th, 2006, 09:06 PM

Sounds like there could be more meat selections at the nearby Chinese Buffet this evening!!

(I know everyone CLAIMS to know someone who heard .... about domestic animals being served at various Asian restaurants, but I refuse to believe it happens in the U.S., where chicken & even beef is so inexpensive.)
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 04:07 AM
bellastarr

I usually don't check in to dog and cat threads, but this is such a sad situation. Vivy is still lost this morning, probably in the marshes next to the airport, which is a huge area, and today will be exptremely cold with a high wind chill.

The news stories keep mentioning that this dog is worth $blah blah blah dollars. The Westminster show is an important event in the Dog show world, but I just can't understand why and how the owners of this dog did not bring her to the show overland. I can't believe they would allow a whipett into the cargo hold of a plane.

rb_travelerxATyahoo, you certainly have an interesting sense of humor, though not very original.

Old Feb 17th, 2006, 04:21 AM

Isn't it the airlines responsibility to ensure the cage is secure? I am sure the "broke out of her cage" is a colorful way to report (not exactly Alcatraz). The airline is responsible for all to arrive safely - people, bags and pets.

I would not check my puppy in a cargo hold either.

Old Feb 17th, 2006, 04:42 AM

Loveitaly, you make an excellent point about allergies. If airlines are under fire for serving peanuts I wonder why they are not also under fire for allowing animals inside the cabins.

Old Feb 17th, 2006, 05:06 AM

The airline can refuse to transport an animal if they think the cage isn't sound, which is why they don't allow collaspable cages. However, it's up to the owner to make sure that the cage won't open.

And for the record, we flew our cat in the pet hold of the plane when we moved to Hawaii and again back to the Mainland. Our vets in Maryland and Hawaii both said it's what they'd do with their own pets, we figured he'd be more comfortable in a large cage rather than shoved under a seat for nine hours, and we know people with severe allergies who would probably have to be hospitalized if they flew next to a cat for that long, so that did affect our decision. The tag on his cage had several sections to it, and a ramp worker would deliver a stub to us before we took off to let us know our cat had been boarded safely, so him being sent to the wrong destination would not have happened.
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 05:24 AM

IMO the owner of this dog has noone but themselves to blame. There have been several well-publicized incidents in which pets "escaped" from crates onto the tarmac and in one case got run over.

I'm sure the owner in this case would respond by saying they've done it many times, sending the dog to shows, etc., and without incident but the fcat remains it did happen and wouldn't have had the dog not been placed in these circumstances.