Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Why don't many people know how to hold their fork and knife?

Old May 7th, 2002, 12:09 PM
Miz Manners

I don't understand why many people have to switch hands when cutting their food? You never see this in other countries and many Americans don't seem to know how to hold their fork or knife. What's the problem with keeping the fork in the left hand if a knife is involved in the meal?
I have been to many restaurants where well-dressed people look like they're butchering a cow as they cut food and then keep on switching the utensils between hands.
How do you hold your fork and knife?

Old May 7th, 2002, 12:17 PM
x

Why is the only correct way your way? Americans hold their fork in their right hand and then switch to the left while cutting their meat. And then switch back. Why do you perceive this as incorrect? Because it's different from the way you do it? I do object to holding either the fork or the knife with a fist. Maybe it's because we don't boil our meat to death.

BTW Mike, I'd like to see that trick.

Old May 7th, 2002, 12:23 PM
Miz Manners

I'm American by the way and switching hands is considered inappropriate by all etiquette standards. In grade school and at home (I'm only in my late 20's)we were taught to never switch hands.
It looks unrefined and it is tacky.

Old May 7th, 2002, 12:26 PM
x

Miss Manners what you write is untrue. Switching hands is appropriate for Americans.

Old May 7th, 2002, 12:30 PM
Dr.David

To X,
I guess you're right. It's only inappropriate everywhere else in the world when a fork and knife are the typical untensils.

Old May 7th, 2002, 12:31 PM
Letitia

I don't know where Miz manners went to finishing school, or if she went to finishing school, but if it was in the U.S., she would know that the proper AMERICAN technique is to switch. This is more difficult, but is considered perfectly acceptable.

Europeans eat with the fork in the left hand. This method does make quite a bit more sense, but then most Americans don't need any help in eating more efficiently.

Old May 7th, 2002, 12:33 PM
x

Here's an excerpt from manners book:

There are two ways to use a knife and fork to cut and eat your food. They are the American style and the European or Continental style. Either style is considered appropriate. In the American style, one cuts the food by holding the knife in the right hand and the fork in the left hand with the fork tines piercing the food to secure it on the plate. Cut a few bite-size pieces of food, then lay your knife across the top edge of your plate with the sharp edge of the blade facing in. Change your fork from your left to your right hand to eat, fork tines facing up. (If you are left-handed, keep your fork in your left hand, tines facing up.) The European or Continental style is the same as the American style in that you cut your meat by holding your knife in your right hand while securing your food with your fork in your left hand. The difference is your fork remains in your left hand, tines facing down, and the knife in your right hand. Simply eat the cut pieces of food by picking them up with your fork still in your left hand.

Old May 7th, 2002, 12:34 PM
emily

American style is perfectly correct for Americans. Each country has different customs- China you don't use knives at all, it's okay to slurp noodles in japan, in India you can correctly use your fingers and bread to eat. The proper ettiquitte is what is acceptable in your region/circle of aquaintances. Don't be such snobs.

Old May 7th, 2002, 12:34 PM
JJ

I WISH the only "problem" with American manners were switching hands when cutting food. Frankly, there's some reason behind the etiquette if you assume everyone is right-handed (they aren't but that's another thread), since it has you using your right hand to cut and then your right hand to use the fork -- presumably, you are too clumsy with your left hand to work a knife and a fork deftly.

HOWEVER: I'm happy to let people keep the fork in their right hand and cut with their left if they promise not to send the chicken across the table into my lap while doing so. In the meantime, PLEASE learn not to hold the fork with fist (as "x" noted) and to scoop up the food with the tines head-on, not the side of the fork. Nothing makes you look more like an iggerant field hand than scraping a plate with your four fingers wrapped around the forkhandle moving the side of the fork around as if it were plow.

Old May 7th, 2002, 12:36 PM
mr manners

And don't europeans look goofy trying to balance peas on the wrong side of their fork??

Old May 7th, 2002, 12:37 PM
Miz Manners

Letitia,
Why do you think it's efficient? Wouldn't it be more efficient to keep the fork in the same hand?
Efficient? Shouldn't the word be elegant when describing manners Letitia?

Old May 7th, 2002, 12:43 PM
Jeannie

Seems like I recall hearing during WWII that how one held his fork and knife was used to tell if a German was posing as an American or vice versa.

Old May 7th, 2002, 12:44 PM
jpm

Oh, who really cares?

The important question is if you eat fried chicken with your hands or try to use a knife and fork?

Old May 7th, 2002, 12:45 PM
Katie

Jeannie,
My grandfather told me that also. He learned to hold the fork in his left and never stopped.

Old May 7th, 2002, 12:49 PM
A Chikn

Miss Manners says you eat fried chicken with a knife and fork if there's a white table cloth and candles -- but wants to know who serves fried chicken on a white table cloth and candles. If you are at a casual table, you can use a knife and fork for the breast or thigh but you can pick up the drumstick. If you are at a picnic, use your fingers.

Old May 7th, 2002, 12:52 PM
Rebecca

Believe it or not, I went to a wedding where fried chicken was served on a white tablecloth and candles.
I ate it with a fork and knife while others ate with their hands in gowns and tuxedoes.
By the way, I don't switch hands even though I'm right handed.

Old May 7th, 2002, 12:57 PM
jpm

Rebecca, that is hilarious.

BTW, just curious, I use to know a Rebecca who used the handle "REBEL" on Prodigy about 10 years ago.

You wouldn't happen to know some people in Madison, WI would you?

Old May 7th, 2002, 01:01 PM
Rebecca

JPM,
No connection. I've been to Madison, WI but don't know anyone from there.
It was hilarious seeing grease dripping down the bride's chin from the fried chicken. Luckily,I didn't know the couple personally but was invited by a friend.

Old May 7th, 2002, 01:16 PM
Freddie

The rule of thumb is you switch hands to cut your food if you're at the Golden Corral or Denny's. You do not switch hands if your at Nobu or Morton's.

Old May 7th, 2002, 01:18 PM
x

Wow Rebecca you were at a wedding where the bride actually got to eat!!!!?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -