Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Why don't I want to go to Chicago? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/why-dont-i-want-to-go-to-chicago-780506/)

clarasong Apr 21st, 2009 06:09 PM

Why don't I want to go to Chicago?

Gonna have to go, but can't get geared for it...why? only there once, and can't remember anything except the Sears tower, the wonderful musuem and how dang cold it was in May. Maybe it's cause I don't like big cities no how....help me get enthused~

longhorn55 Apr 21st, 2009 06:23 PM

I'm not a big city person either but I LOVED Chicago. Our family never stays put anywhere on vacation more than 2 or 3 days but we spent a whole week in Chicago and wished we could have stayed longer. It's a wonderful town for walking; the architecture is amazing and the museums can't be beat! If you want to get enthusiastic about your visit, why don't you plan something special to do while you are there, like a Segway tour. We haven't done the Segway tour in Chicago, but we did it in Washington, D.C. last summer and it was a blast!

retiredinflorida Apr 21st, 2009 06:31 PM

Often when I see thread like this I don't comment simply because I don't like the city/country in question.

Well,....

I never had Chicago on my list of must sees, transited through ORD many times and never made the effort to stop and visit Chicago. Only recently I went and I'm glad I did, Chicago is a great city with lots to offer. Just dont' go in the winter months and you'll have a memorable trip.

ita Apr 21st, 2009 06:50 PM

Chicago is a great city. Be sure and take the architectural boat tour-a highlight

andrews98682 Apr 21st, 2009 07:24 PM

My suggestion: Take a look at Fodors Chicago book and you'll find reasons to look forward to the trip.

Aduchamp1 Apr 21st, 2009 10:32 PM

How old is the child that needs coaxing? There are some wonderful toy stores and I am sure they would have fun at Navy Pier.

clarasong Apr 22nd, 2009 08:49 AM

Hoe old is what child???what are you talking about? I am going to accompany DH on a convention...been doing it our entire wedded life...not much in it for me, unless I can find ways to independently entertain myself, which I will (done it in London, Bombay, Dubai, Copenhagen, etc.). Just said I wasn't looking forward to it..

clarasong Apr 22nd, 2009 08:56 AM

icuy, obxgirl: why the hostility? what's that all about. It was an honest question, hoping for some good feedback..

For anyone really interested, does anyone know about the tour for "the Devil and Sin City", or something like that? Someone suggested it, but I haven't a clue.

tchoiniere Apr 22nd, 2009 09:08 AM

Clara, that tour is probably about the book "Devil in the White City". It is a great book, recommended to me before my trip to Chicago. Its a combination murder mystery / history of the Worlds Fair in Chicago.

Chicago is a great city and really enjoyable. There should be alot to keep you entertained and to make it worthwhile.

Here is a link to my trip report for Chicago.
http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...rip-report.cfm

siena1 Apr 22nd, 2009 09:25 AM

>>not much in it for me, unless I can find ways to independently entertain myself, which I will (done it in London, Bombay, Dubai, Copenhagen, etc.)<<

Not much in it for you??? Wow. I'd LOVE to go to those places. Sorry you haven't enjoyed it more...

There's lots to do in Chicago, including:

--Art Institute
--Museum of Contemporary Art
--Chicago Cubs game
--Shedd Aquarium
--Navy Pier
--Architectural tours, as mentioned above by Ita.

Aduchamp1 Apr 22nd, 2009 09:55 AM

Hoe old is what child???what are you talking about? I am going to accompany DH on a convention..

Oh, I thought we were talking about a child.

lovelucy Apr 22nd, 2009 10:14 AM

I love love love Chicago and would go any day. It's much safer than you think and has a genuine quality about it that you wouldn't find in a city like New York. ( Don't get me wrong, I LOVE new York).

I'll trade places with you. My Husband hates to travel........ If I travel, I do it alone or with friends. I'm not sitting around waiting for anyone.

SusanCS Apr 22nd, 2009 11:02 AM

I've never been to Chicago in the winter, but I've absolutely LOVED the times I've been in the summer. I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't have a great time in such a nice walking city!

Aduchamp1 Apr 22nd, 2009 11:46 AM

While the Art Institute does not have a deep collection it has extraordianry examples of many genres. The architectural tour is also interesting. Maybe you can call and find out if there is indoor heated seating.

NorthwestMale Apr 22nd, 2009 05:30 PM

As of one year ago I had been to every state in the union but had never been to Chicago. I went there for a couple of days last May and I really gained from the experience.

My only (regret) is that, when driving around western Chicago suburbs, the land was so FLAT, with few visible landmarks to guide me when I was driving around lost. In my area there are mountains and water and hills, and I KNOW when I've been circling aimlessly forever.

Other than that, I give Chicago two thumbs up... and I especially liked the views when driving into the city from the west, as all of that 'flat' gives way to the city skyline (and those on the rapid transit mock people stuck in traffic on the road beside them).

clarasong Apr 22nd, 2009 06:52 PM

Northwest Male: you must be from Seattle or Portland...me too. I lived in another flat city for 5 years...never knew where the heck we were. Luckily DH has an uhfailing sense of direction....He'd know his way around the moon if he had ever been there..me, I don't mind being lost at least half the time, if we are making good time.