Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Why do people always want to move to (or visit) places that are rapidly growing?

Why do people always want to move to (or visit) places that are rapidly growing?

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 09:47 AM
Jerry

I am surprized at the number of posters who want to move to (or visit) places that are "rapidly growing." In these people's eyes a place is only great if thousands of people are moving into an area every year.

Some growth of course is good but what is so great about places with overcrowded roads, schools, sprawl, track housing, etc.

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 09:55 AM
Duh!

Jerry - please see my post under fastest growing California cities.

In case you hadn't noticed the job market is very depressed. Companies are closing whole divisions in some cities and/or laying off workers. When looking to relocate, one thing you must absolutely have is a job, unless you are indiependently wealthy. The fastest growing cities have a lot of growth meaning new companies and jobs coming in as well as a development of the service industry (jobs there too) and real estate industry (yep jobs there too) these things have to be taken into consideration considering it is currently taking the average person 6-9 months to find a good job. I have been trying to relocate for 4 months but can't because I haven't found a new job in the area yet. I certainly am not going to give up my job here and move if I don't have a job waiting for me when I get there!!!!!!!

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 09:58 AM
Kio

Chicken or the egg, Jerry.
Do people want to move there BECAUSE they see lots of people moving, or is it that lots of people want to move there and then you infer that they're moving BECAUSE of the lemming factor?

By definition, places wouldn't be popular without people moving there.

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 10:11 AM
Jack

Poor logic- just because a place is growing rapidly does not mean that it is an easy place to find a job. In fact these overgrown boom towns are full of out of towners and recently relocated people begging for jobs. More people more applicants.

As a travel destination these boom towns lack character and are basically just a huge sprawl of strip centers and subdivisions.

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 10:17 AM
jorge

some of us love crowds and big cities. even the smell of urine and garbage. it's life and energy.. nature bores the hell out of me.. And for me. who the wants too go too a crap hole town where thier own residence a making a exodus.

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 10:25 AM
Duh!

My post is only illogical if you are talking about people who just up and move to a place because they hear it is growth oriented and then get there and have no job. For logical people like myself who don't actually move until they get a new jog there the post is LOGICAL. What I did was quite a bit of internet research to find about 3 or 4 cities that were not only fast growing but also met requirements for me for things like climate etc. I then send resumes to jobs in these cities only. Only stupid people would move somewhere and be out of towners stuck with no job!

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 10:31 AM
Curly, Moe, Larry

Ummmmmmm........have you ever actually heard of anyone, Springer audience not included, moving to a town simply because they heard others were moving there?
No job?
No research?
No checking of any type?

I don't think so.

Where did you get this notion?

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 10:50 AM
mickey

This inane post reminds me of the Yogi Berra quote: "Nobody goes to that restaurant anymore because it's too crowded."

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 11:04 AM
Eileen

It is funny that here in Washington DC metro area, most people except for the developers are doing everything they can to slow down growth. Slow growth/smart growth is the latest buzz word. People are tired of traffic, clearcut forests becoming trak homes, over crowded schools, higher taxes to pay for growth.

Why would you want to move to a place that is grwing to fast?

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 11:59 AM
morse

If anyone out there can make any sense of Eileen's post, please contact me. We need code-breakers for the war effort.

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 12:03 PM
Mr. X

I can't answer the question, but I can tell you the area that I am living in outside Chicago has gone from a charming small town to a bustling hassle-filled suburb. Strangely, the housing prices are going through the roof. I just sold my house for double the price I paid seven years ago. I'm not signing my name in case the buyers read this board.

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 12:11 PM
it

A company decides to move it's headquarters to "City A".

Employees move to town looking for a house.

Houses are in short supply, so local builders ramp up production to meet demand

Several hundred construction workers hear about the need for builders (and higher wages due to demand) and move to City A

All the construction workers need food, so fast food restaurants and grocery stores begin ordering more food supplies

Local food distributors respond to the demand by hiring more people to take orders and load the trucks

The additional food trucks create bottlenecks on the highways, creating the need for more roads

Hundreds of new road construction workers move to City A because of the demand for road workers (and higher wages).

You get picture. It is all one big cycle.

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 12:17 PM
Glen

Continuation of the story above:

People get tired of the ugly strip centers, endless subdivisions, their kids in overcrowded schools, higher taxes, traffic and general uglyness. They vote for city or county councilmembers who run on a slow growth platform, the councilpeople win and are called NIMBY's and are sued by the development community that want to turn the city into another Los Angeles.

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 12:45 PM
Bob Sacamano

Author: Curly, Moe, Larry ([email protected])
Date: 07/29/2002, 02:31 pm
Message: Ummmmmmm........have you ever actually heard of anyone, Springer audience not included, moving to a town simply because they heard others were moving there?

I don't think so.

Ummm, yep, there are people that are that stupid. Check out the 07/07/02 article in the newsandobserver.com about the influx of people into RTP, NC because they "heard" there were tons of jobs here. So sorry. These fools moved without doing any research and then found out it's just as bad or worse (since they're in a totally new place with NO connections or ideas for employment) than where they came from. There were quotes from these people COMPLAINING that there were not any job opportunities when they arrived, and that their golden egg didn't await. Area social services are strained with the influx and local newspapers are filled with editorials on how (insert northern city here) was so much better...

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 04:13 PM
Julia

On the other hand,if one has been unemployed in their hometown state for an extended period of time, sometimes that relocation with no job waiting for them is a good idea. I'm here in NYC with NO prospects,no unemployment checks,and a huge cost of living. If I move down South and even take a minimum wage job, the cost of living doesn't begin to compare to here in the East. Just the idea of new faces, fresh beginings is applealing to me. When I'm in competition with thousands here with one job opening, it's destroying my morale and just feeding my depression. I am seriously looking towards relocation with NO job prospect.

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 07:25 PM
yul

Jerry: I believe Las Vegas is one of those places. A few years back, all I heard from some people at work was, it's heaven-on-earth, maids making $70 grand a year, etc. I've never been there, so I don't know. One guy even bought property there, and we're back East.

Julia: I would also relocate without worrying about a job. If a person has half a brain, they can find something.

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 04:53 AM
Kevin

The whole relocation thing is a catch 22. About 10 years ago I moved to Maryland (right outside Washington DC) and tried to rent an apartment for myself. I was unemployed and single, just me trying to make a new start. I had $20,000 in the bank and 6 months of unemployment insurance, NO ONE WOULD RENT TO ME. They had minimum income requirements. I told them I had lots of money, they did not care.

Finally I had to move into a motel for two months until I could find a job.

Scary moving into a stange town, even if it is fast growing.

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 05:00 AM
Lance

If you want to move to a town and survive for awhile without much cost, move to the south. Down south you can survive on $7.00 an hour. You can rent a two bedroom apartment in a nice enough complex for $500, buy a home for $100,000. Wages are low down south, but it does not take that much money to live

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 08:09 AM
me

Presumably, a place that attracts people is better than a place that does not... or is so regarded by the majority of people who choose to move at all.

Majority rules. If Gary, Indiana, for example, starts attracting hordes of people, then there must be a good reason. One that appeals to a large number of migrants. And if Gary, Indiana became the most popular destination in America, it would reflect some innate quality that attracts more people than some less popular place.

The more people that move somewhere, or stay there, the better the general value of the place.