Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Why did the Georgia police cause a slow down on I75?

May 7th, 2007, 03:06 PM
Original Poster

We came back to FL. yesterday after our first trip to Atlanta. We had a great time at the zoo, aquarium, CNN and ate at the Atlanta Fish Market (EXCELLENT blackened salmon!), the Buckhead Diner (try their peach bread pudding) and of course, the Varsity for lunch.
But our trip back south had a strange occurence while on
I 75. We saw a sign flashing "Slow down ahead" and traffic came almost to a stand still. We could see flashing lights on vehicles in the distance and figured it was an accident. Instead as we crept along at about 5 miles or less the lights kept moving forward. This went on for about 10 mins. Finally the traffic started to move normally. We spotted several police cars on the right with no accident or any other cars pulled over.
About a mile farther down we saw 3 police cars in the north bound lanes each going about 5 miles so that traffic behind them was all backed up. What was this all about?????????
May 7th, 2007, 03:33 PM

Tip - If you dial *DOT on your cell phone you can find out what's going on at the time.

Something similar happened about a week ago. The Downtown Connector (85 & 75) was at a standstill on a Saturday. I called - and there was some motorcycle event going on up off 75N. I got off and went surface roads, but by the time I came back south on 75, all traffic was moving normally.

Sometimes they do this to stop traffic to enable a cleanup after a wreck. You don't see evidence of the wreck because the tow truck has taken the cars off.

Sometimes it's when a VIP is in town and they shut down the xways to allow the motorcade to pass. GWB is busy with Lillibet in DC, so I don't know if anyone else was in town.
May 7th, 2007, 03:38 PM

Where did this happen? If it was in the metro area, I think I know.
May 7th, 2007, 03:56 PM
Original Poster

No, it was not near Atlanta. Probably an hour or more south. We don't believe it was any accident since we saw the slow down being caused north bound about a mile later!
May 7th, 2007, 04:02 PM

Oh, well. Just found out Bill Clinton and other folks were in town to celebrate Andrew Young's 75th so thought that could be it.
May 7th, 2007, 04:12 PM

Isn't just a ten-minute slowdown on I-75 in Atlanta considered a great traffic day? LOL
May 7th, 2007, 04:16 PM

LOL! Yep, you're right.

I see this police barricade kind of thing a lot on GA interstates, but because they are moving blockades if you will, they are rarely affecting traffic when I'm headed back in the opposite direction one to a few hours later.

Next time, I'll call DOT and ask. As is, I'm just thankful when I see it on the other side and it's not affecting me! (I know, selfish Starrsville!)
May 7th, 2007, 05:55 PM

It's called a "traffic break" and it is done for a variety of reasons. As others have mentioned, it could be to allow accident debris to be removed or for a VIP. In addition, it can be done to allow access to the traffic lanes by police or road workers for measurements, photographs or other purposes. I don't know about Atlanta but they are used at times for street sweepers (vehicles) to clean high speed roadways.

In the area I worked, we were prone to fog in small areas of the freeway. When we were experiencing these conditons, we would run traffic breaks so that traffic would not suddenly hit opaque conditions at 70-80 mph. When you read about 100-car accidents on southern California freeways, it often is due to sudden restricted visibility conditions and traffic breaks can prevent them.

Even though they are a pain, often the only other option is complete road closure with even more pain.
May 7th, 2007, 05:59 PM

Here in Florida we've been getting more of those -- because of the fires. Smoke reduces visability, and with all the fires we're having, traffic is being slowed in some areas.
But it doesn't sound like that's what you're talking about.
May 7th, 2007, 06:35 PM

Well, isn't there a big fire in southern GA at the moment?
May 7th, 2007, 06:38 PM

Yes, but it's not near where the OP is talking about - and there wasn't smoke up this way yesterday.

Still could have been a motorcade for a VIP (depending on the time) if they flew into Robins Air Force base.
May 7th, 2007, 07:21 PM

They also have to run a traffic break to get something off of the road, like a disabled car from the left to the right shoulder or a ladder in a lane. So you wouldn't even see the problem by the time you got to it because it would be gone.
May 7th, 2007, 07:24 PM

Perhaps there was an electrical outage and they were being cautious.

Could that have been the night the lights went out in Georgia?
May 7th, 2007, 07:30 PM

Oh, Lord, help us all in 9 months then!
May 7th, 2007, 08:07 PM

If it was weather related, it could have been A Rainy Night in Georgia.
May 8th, 2007, 03:13 AM

It was probably a bad accident that was just finishing being cleaned up. It happens all the time--huge slow down (we sat for 30 minutes Sunday on I77) and then it is as if nothing has caused it.
May 8th, 2007, 03:37 AM

To avoid this problem in the future, take the "midnight train to Georgia."
May 8th, 2007, 04:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the input. It was just so strange to be in its midst and then see the same thing happen to the northbound lanes a few minutes later. We're just glad it was a short delay since our 8 and 1/2 hr. trip to Atlanta (according to Mapquest) had taken nearly 11 hours because of construction slowdowns. That was NOT a great start for a 4 day trip!