Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Whose travel plans have been disrupted by NE blizzard - what did you do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 01:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wondering about what accomodations airlines, hotels, cruises, etc have made for those whose travel plans are being disrupted this weekend by northeast blizzard.
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 02:24 AM

Was at the Travel Show yesterday and many people were trying to fly out early. A rep we have befriended was planning on staying until Monday. Most were staying at the Seaport Hotel...Since the Gov. declared a State of Emergency last night I would assume the show had to close down for today. I have friends who were cruising and I don't know if they came home yet. Wonder if travel insurance covers this?
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 05:53 AM
JJ5

I've been there, done this. They are too busy scrambling in lines, trying to get another carrier, or stuck in terminals/ hotels etc.talking out their options to answer you.

When it happened to me in NYC LaGuardia about 3 years ago in March, we actually banded together with some other travelers, rented the very last car Hertz had in NJ and took turns driving home in a deluge of rain- one way return to Midway Airport Hertz drop off. There were snow storms everywhere west and two planes had been cancelled for mechanical problems also. Alternative air wait was 2 days at the minimum, and this way we also got free flights for all of us round trip anywhere in the USA because of the mechanical cancels.

Our other considered option was to lease a van to Atlantic City- one way and fly home from there. If we couldn't get the Hertz car, we were going to do that. None of our airlines would pick up the cost of NYC hotel rooms. And there was a van available.

That's why you need to have travel insurance if it is a cruise/costly trip etc. I have it for this Feb.
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 06:00 AM

I heard that Logan Airport has been closed indefinitely. We have 3+ feet where I live north of Boston.
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

North of Boston is where I live as well. I was awakened at 2 AM last night by the feel of snow in my face - I had left the window open an inch, as I usually do at night, and the snow was blowing about 3 feet from the window to my face.

Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 07:07 AM

My daughter is flying into Bradley tomorrow. She has to be at school Tuesday AM. Her flight is supposed to leave Chicago around 6PM our time, arrive 9ET. Is she likely to have a problem? Or are things supposed to be pretty much back to normal by then?
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 07:27 AM
dcespedes

I posted the following on another thread earlier this morning, fyi, if you're reading this for the second time...

My husband and I returned from Oahu yesterday morning--we were on separate flights both of which were over sold. I was on the later flight and for both of our flights, Honolulu to Dallas, American needed 7 volunteers--they offered flight vouchers and a seat on the next available plane that included a re-route through Chicago sans any mention of the snow conditions. Surely American had to know what the conditions were in Chicago?!

Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 08:10 AM
JJ5

Yesterday and last night, 600 cancelled flights out of OHare announced on news.

I will try to get the latest update for you, and I do think the airport is open. But because of above, you would need carrier, flight # information if it is out of OHare, in order to get accurate information.
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

I would think flying INTO Bradley tomorrow should be fine - but out of Northeast may still be a problem since there are no planes here - the airlines tried not to bring them in and have them stranded on the ground.

Logan is expected to be closed until Monday AM - I think inland CT got less snow than more coastal areas anyway.
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 12:55 PM

Thanks a lot, Gail. That's the kind of info I was hoping I might be able to get from someone who's out there. And it makes us a lot less nervous!