Who Was Your Worst Ever Traveling Companion

Old May 23rd, 2006, 06:57 AM
Kingfisherqueen

Who Was Your Worst Ever Traveling Companion

Here’s the worst from my list:

I flew down to Key West for a weekend with my then-boyfriend. This was a man who was well-known and fairly well-respected in our community. On our last night, my companion got rip-roaring drunk on a sunset cruise. During the cruise he thought it was hilarious to sit on the rope railing of the boat and lean backwards. I was terrified he was going to fall overboard in the dark. In restrospect, maybe that would have been pretty funny. After the boat ride, he tried to ride his bicycle and fell face first into the pavement, resulting in a bloody mess and a broken tooth. As we walked down the sidewalk, he stood in front of a group of really big guys and told them to get the f+*_% out of his way. Back at the guesthouse, he sat fully clothed in the pool, crying and accusing me of whatever. I don’t know what it was; I wasn’t hanging around to find out.

The topper came later. I woke up in the middle of the night to see the guy standing in front of my open (and packed) suitcase getting ready to pee into it!

I guess this was his way of breaking up with me. Unusual, but effective.

Old May 23rd, 2006, 07:04 AM
GoTravel

You win.

Old May 23rd, 2006, 07:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree. Contest over.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 07:11 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
can't compete with that story
Old May 23rd, 2006, 07:59 AM

Thanks for sharing - nice visual.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 08:14 AM

Hey I think I dated him too - LOL.

My then boyfriend and I also went to FLA. He drank lots of Scotch startein at the golf course...bar carts - LOL. When he got back to the hotel he went to the pool and drank some more at the pool bar. He started moutghing off to some big guys at the bar and when he went to stand up he fell down like a bag of bones. He took a break for a while then I thought he was better b ecause it was dinner time and he was hungry. We go out for dinner and he drank scotch and red wine (an entire bottle of it) and I had to drive back to the hotel. He was just drunk and embarassing and people were looking at him. WE get back to the room and he wants to take a walk by the beach. It's really late so I pass hoping he will get eaten by a shark or something. Hours pass and I am laying in bed. I hear the bedroom window slide open and he comes tumbling thru the blinds and falls on the floor and stays that way till the morning.

The best thing was the next day we went to the Boat Show. He was normal and not drinking except for 1 thing. I noticed that when he bent over to look at something he had an emormous S@#T stain in his jeans. Apparently he sharted the night before, did not realize then put the same pants back on.

I might add that this guy is/was highly educated and a highly paid business man. What is it with these guys??
Old May 23rd, 2006, 08:41 AM

What is it with the women that date them?
Old May 23rd, 2006, 08:41 AM

OMG, thank you so much for these great stories...I will never again mourn the fact that I married young and and missed the dating scene. Now I know what I missed....
Old May 23rd, 2006, 08:53 AM
jetset1

Annabel~oy! Anyone mixing Scotch and red wine deserves a fire ant burial.
How anyone could have been near him w/o some Lysol/Febreze or at least a fresh "Pull-Up" for big boys is a miracle.
I might have suggested a fire station visit to get the big hose treatment too. yech!

Old May 23rd, 2006, 09:22 AM

Took a cruise a few years back with what I thought was a fun co-worker. We docked in Nassau and and after an afternoon of snorkeling in the hot sun, and then endless rum punch on the way back to the ship, she disappeared on me. I got back to the cabin later that evening...she was passed out in my bed, with a wet stain on the floor. She woke up, naked from the waist down and is talking gibberish to me. She ends up passing out, falling into me. I get her in bed and call 911. Security arrives first, and she is out there IN THE HALLWAY, aruging with them, still naked from the waist down. Dr. and nurse arrives, they get her back in the room; I have to wait in the hall while they battle with her trying to get some drugs into her to counteract the alcohol and what turns out to probably be prescription drugs, which the doc found in one of her drawers. She gets taken off the ship and is transported to the local hospital by ambulance. But now its 1am. They move me to another cabin as she has made our previous one uninhabitable - bodily fluids and lets leave it at that. amp; Hear thru the ship's hostess that she has checked herself out of the hospital against their advice and wants back on the ship. THANK GOD they refuse her boarding as they do not have the medical facilities if something else should happen. Happiest sight that night was the dock moving past my window as we left Nassau at 3am, knowing she had been left behind. Needless to say I thoroughly enjoyed my last days on the cruise and my following 2 days at Downtown Disney all by myself.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 10:32 AM

After seeing the post title I was going to relate my story of a best friend and his unusual habits when traveling. They really irked me at the time, but after reading some of these posts, it was pretty tame in comparison. Wow!
Old May 23rd, 2006, 10:59 AM
jetset1

hee hee. thanks for extra incentive not to overdo at a lunch date today,lol. I can't wait to share these tales of terror in case the conversation gets too heavy! J.

Old May 23rd, 2006, 11:02 AM

That's why "dating" is a process. A well off handsome, educated guy does not say Hi I get really drunk and stupid and oh yeah I have this habit of crapping myself. When I first dated him he displayed not of these attributes.

Age also something to do with it (or I hope it soed for his sake)...we were both under 30.

There is nothing wrong with me. I am happily married (not to the Sharter) for years now. We travel often and he does not crap his pants or fly thru open windows - LOL.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 11:13 AM

LOL Annabel.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 11:35 AM
JJ5

Oh yes, Annabel, true,true! And it could happen to anyone, life is a learning experience.

My one time was with a very educated and practiced set of travelers. The "suspect" was a lady lawyer who evidentually ruined the Naples part of the trip for all her companions.

Not as bad as some posted already, but close. She then took off on her own leaving another woman (my close friend) with few clothes resources and much worry.

But not after having ruined all of the towels and most of the bedding in a rental condo by laying all her "washed" clothing out (she spilled a full sized bottle of shampoo over the entire contents of her big suitcase in transit through poor packing and then proceeded to wash everything by hand)to dry. The result was wetting all the beds that we later had to use for sleeping. Duuuh!

The dampness lingered. Although it was less torture than her temperament anyway. That was the last time I will ever travel with a friend's friend. I know my friends, I don't know theirs.

She also disappeared into the leather district and never told anyone if she'd be back or not, so her friend wasted most of 2 days looking for her.

So glad I went to Pompeii.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 12:00 PM

kingfisher/annabell...alls i can say is OUCH! i think those will be tough to beat.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 01:34 PM

Went to London with female friend for one week trip. My then-boyfriend, now husband, was in India on business and did not know when he would return. My friend and I were staying with now-hubby's former college roommate who lives in London. Friend got angry at me because I got sick the night she wanted to go to a particular club (o.k., the illness may have had a bit to do with the amount of alcohol consumed the night before). Anyway, then-boyfriend calls the apartment at 5 a.m. to announce to me that he was at Victoria Station - he managed to get a flight home on BA with a stopover in London and decided to surprise me. Then-boyfriend shows up, we have breakfast and all go shopping while friend continues to fume.

Later, I take a shower, then-boyfriend hangs out with friend. I come out of the shower, there is tension in the air. Friend says she doesn't want to go out. I decide to go to corner pub. Then-boyfriend goes to pub, too. Turns out friend decided to profess her undying love for then-boyfriend and insists that he can do better than me (which, of course, is true even to this day). She had someone in particular in mind for him. Guess who that was......

Needless to say, the following day and flight home were a bit uncomfortable.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 02:20 PM
Kingfisherqueen

I, too, am now married to a wonderful (and sober)man. I'm not sure how I ever got so lucky, except that by the time I met him, I sure could recognize what I didn't want.

Old May 23rd, 2006, 02:27 PM

"Sharted"
Good one.

First trip to Spain, 1985. Traveling companion disappeared in Benidorm for 2 nights. Came back with torn clothes, a cut on his forehead and blood on his walking stick (which he took along because of a back injury). Never really figured out what happened. Never really cared after that and NEVER went anywhere with him again.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 02:49 PM
P_M

LOL, these stories are hilarious!!

"Sharted??" I have learned a new word today.

I don't suppose anyone is interested in hearing about my traveling companion who spends too much time on her hair and only wants to shop instead of sightsee. I cannot compete with these stories--and I'm GLAD!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -