Atlanta hotel, baseball, and MARTA

Old Mar 19th, 2005, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Atlanta hotel, baseball, and MARTA

4 fellows...all baseball "nuts" going to Atlanta 4/21-25 to see some baseball.

Any suggestions on hotel that has "suites" that 4 could stay, and possibly be close to MARTA station, so we don't have to hassle with driving and parking?

We will have a car...one driving to Atlanta, a3 flying.
Old Mar 19th, 2005, 11:23 AM

There is a wonderful Residence Inn by the airport. You could then take the free hotel shuttle to the airport and then hop on the Marta that is right there at the airport. The Residence Inn also comes with a great free breakfast.
Old Mar 19th, 2005, 11:49 AM

Sorry TCapp, I disagree with your recommendation to stay down by the airport for 4 nights. It's not a nice area! There are other Residence Inns in much better locations, ie Midtown and Buckhead.

Circa--Take MARTA from the airport to Buckhead. There is an Embassy Suites nearby and I think they have a free shuttle. There is also a Embassy Suites in Dunwoody close to another MARTA station which might have better rates.

Using public transportation to get to/from the BB games is a good one. You would get off at Five Points station and follow the crowds to Turner Field. You will want the car for probably everything else you do here. Atlanta is a big driving city...

Here's a link to MARTA: http://www.itsmarta.com/
Old Mar 19th, 2005, 12:01 PM

Good advice, Onewanderingjew. circa2: We are big Braves fans...you are rooting for the Braves, right? The Ted is a great stadium IMO. I love it!
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 03:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks folks...checking it out ....
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 05:30 AM

Agree with OWJ -- bag the airport locale. You may want to check out:
Marriott Suites Atlanta Midtown - 35 14th St NE, Atlanta, 30309 - (404) 876-8888

Walking distance from MARTA, High Museum, great restaurants, even Piedmont Park on a nice day. Lots more to do here -- I'd even venture to say more than Buckhead for 4 days.
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 05:17 AM

Embassy Suites Buckhead is your best choice. As much as I love Midtown (I lived there for 10 years), it's not the perfect place for your typical male sports fan unless they're pretty open minded . . .
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 05:55 AM

I second the vote for Marriott Suites. Midtown is great and MUCH more walkable than Buckhead, if you want to leave your car behind. Buckhead has better shopping, but Midtown has much more to see on foot and easy MARTA access. Traditionally it's been a gay-friendly neighborhod (I'm guessing that's what "Brian in Charlotte" meant by his comment), but it's also got a huge straight singles scene and a lot of good restaurants and "straight" nightlife in general. My husband and a lot of our straight male friends hang out in Midtown and I've never heard of them feeling uncomfortable for any reason at all.

There's a Jocks n Jills sports bar on 10th in Midtown that often has a shuttle to Braves games -- you may also want to check into that as I'm not sure if it's for all games or only on occasion.
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 06:10 AM
ewt

Seems to me that not every sports fan has a problem with a "gay neighborhood." Sorry that its a problem for you, Brian.
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 07:35 AM

Not a problem for me at all. My wife and I loved living in Midtown and had lots of gay friends. I never meant that ALL sports fans would feel uncomfortable, and probably not most fans. However, some of the hard core sports fans at those Braves games certainly would be uncomfortable. Circa2 is probably not one of them, but who knows?

And oliviadawg is right - Midtown has changed from a largely gay area to a great neighborhood for all folks. Though I would say its entertainment options (excluding the High Museum and the Fox) cater a bit more to the younger crowd.

I'm going to take my recommendation back for Buckhead - Midtown is a better choice (and closer to the stadium and airport by a few Marta stops).
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 08:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks folks for all the good suggestions.

Finally decided to go for 2 rooms, instead of trying for a suite ((2 queens and poss. sofa bed.))

This is a guys outting, and all the frills are not necessary...so I booked
LaQuinta- Perimeter ((actually 3 blocks north of Medical Arts MARTA sta.))

Used a new hotel booking site...called HotelClub....booked the LaQuinta for $61 a room per night (total: out the door))

thanks for your help

circa2
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 05:07 AM

Circa--That's not a bad location and I think the La Quinta is fairly new. You'll be near MARTA and a short drive for everything else. Hope you guys have a blast!

OWJ
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 01:28 PM

And there's a Maggiano's in Perimeter Mall so you can't lose...
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 03:41 PM
iceeu2

Oh yeah, love that Maggiano's....and if you can't get in there...Macaroni Grill is on down just a tad..or Fire of Brazil is nearby...and if you can stand the noise The Cheesecake Factory is right down from Maggiano's...

Old Apr 1st, 2005, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

Hey...thanks for the heads up on Maggiono's and the Macaroni Grill...was checking out the restaurants. Ate at Macaroni Grill in Annapolis last Dec.(first time)....very acceptable..

circa2