Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Whitefish,Mt--GlacierNPS (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/whitefish-mt-glaciernps-93635/)

Ron S Nov 13th, 2000 04:01 PM

Whitefish,Mt--GlacierNPS

Planning a trip to Whitefish, Mt late June early July,2001 and would like info on must see and do's in the park as well as in the Flathead valley region. Determined to do at least a half day whitewater raft trip--anyone with experiences and suggestions the many outfitters in the area. Thanks in advance!!!!

Bob Brown Nov 13th, 2000 05:18 PM

If you are a hiker I have several suggestions. If not, drive the Sun Road (or take the shuttle depending on what the Park Service decides to do about permitting traffic on the Sun Road) <BR>from one side of the park to the other. <BR>Stop at Logan Pass for the views. <BR>By late June, the Sun Road should be clear of snow. It all depends on how heavy the snow fall is this winter. <BR>Let me know if you do any walking of more than half a mile. Glacier is a hikers park and without walking a bit, you cannot really see the highlights. <BR>Another suggestionis to visit Hungry Horse Dam on the Whitefish side. <BR>On the east side, drive up to Waterton Park and take the boat trip down the lake and back. Some of the boat trips on the other lakes are ok, too. But the Waterton trip is the best one that I have taken.

Eva Nov 14th, 2000 03:18 AM

If you have time, visit the Big Mountain ski resort. You can ride the ski lift up to the top, and then hike down. The views of Whitefish Lake, and fields of wildflowers, are spectacular. (For the week I spend in this neck of the woods, I didn't ask "where's the beach?" once!! This is truly a gorgeous area.)

Kay Nov 22nd, 2000 05:10 AM

I will be the area as well, but in late April. I know the road through the park will not be open, yet the ski resorts will probably already be closed. What would you suggest for a couple of free days after I finish business nearby?

GrizGal Nov 22nd, 2000 05:56 PM

I used to live in Whitefish (now in Missoula). Going-to-the-Sun Road MIGHT be open -- depends on the weather, but don't rule it out. They start plowing around April and often get it open by mid-June. <BR> <BR>Ask at the ranger station -- or try the NPS website -- for hikes that fit your plans and fitness level. I think they'll have a handout that lists various hikes. <BR> <BR>Be prepared for any kind of weather. June is the Flathead's wettest month. It can be rainy, snowy and cold OR sunny, dry and warm. You just never know. <BR> <BR>Learn about protecting yourself from bears! (And the bears from you.) <BR> <BR>Flathead Lake is a don't-miss! Take a drive around the lake if you have time (a few hours). Bigfork is a nice destination -- small and quaint with a touch of class, with galleries and such. Hot Springs, a bit east of the lake, is a nice destination if you feel like a soak -- try the Symes Hotel. <BR> <BR>Tally Lake is another nice lake, 20 or 30 miles from Whitefish. <BR> <BR>Lakes and especially rivers will be chilly in June! <BR> <BR>The little museum in the Whitefish Depot is nice for history/railroad buffs. <BR> <BR>Check out the websites of the Whitefish Pilot and Hungry Horse News for more local info. <BR> <BR>Have fun! <BR>