Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   White Elephant Gift Exchange (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/white-elephant-gift-exchange-574178/)

SandyBrit Dec 3rd, 2005 04:56 AM

White Elephant Gift Exchange

What does 'White Elephant Gift Exchange' mean where you live?

DH told me last night that we are to take a 'White Elephant Gift Exchange' to his T.M club party. I think the idea is to look around your house, closets etc. and take something that you have been given that you don't like or have no use for.

We now live in the Midwest and I know customs vary in different parts of this country. Looking forward to your suggestions and if you have been to this type of party what did people take.

Sandy

Kath Dec 3rd, 2005 05:26 AM

To me it's always meant a tacky/funny gift for a gift exchange. I've always bought something new though ... one year I gave yellow smiley face salt and pepper shakers ... then it was a dog massager ... then I found this hilarious statue of a standing frog with a very shapely woman's body. My favorite was the coat hanger that had a rat head on it so it looked like the rat was wearing your coat. Anyway, I usually peruse the clearance knick knackery shelves at places like TJ Maxx or Ross. Don't know if you have a Big Lots, that's good too.

AnnMarie_C Dec 3rd, 2005 06:11 AM

I've always seen new and used / found items at a white elephant exchange. One that got the most laughs was a package of brickettes--recipients of this gift resurrected it each year for about 5 years until the bricks began to crumble.

happytourist Dec 3rd, 2005 06:15 AM

I recommend taking an inexpensive new gift as you don't know these people well. We go to an annual WE party and anything that is used is usually pretty tacky and the new gifts are the ones people want (we do one of those trading things). A Christmas ornament, a candle, that sort of thing is usually acceptable. Make sure it's unisex.

Iregeo Dec 3rd, 2005 06:52 AM

At our annual party, each couple brings one serious gift and one gag/white elephant gift. If you come single, you bring either. Usually, there's a price limit on gifts. Past white elephant gifts have been teddy bears, his and hers "Spongebob" boxers and bikinis, a nose hair trimmer, chocolate body paint...you get the idea! Happy holidays.

Ozarksbill Dec 3rd, 2005 06:54 AM

Also from the Midwest. Yes, as Kath says, it does mean bringing something tacky/funny for a joke-type exchange. I learned of one person however who had never heard about such a gift exchange, and so she found a little elephant which she painted white!

ozarksbill

jlm_mi Dec 3rd, 2005 07:16 AM

Midwesterner here - Michigan

The white-elephant gift exchange that my company does every year involves bringing an item you already own - it may be a nice gift (we've had fondue sets and christmas items, etc.) or gag gifts (an old, bad, board game, etc.).

If you're not sure what's appropriate for this gathering, ask your DH to verify with the group what their rules are, since you're right - it does mean different things to different people. It would be embarrassing to show up with a used gag gift if everyone else brings nice, new Christmas ornaments or something like that.

SusanEva Dec 3rd, 2005 08:30 AM

Hi Sandy. Another Midwest voice -- agree with jlm to check on the expectations.

The usual version is to bring something funny or something new. People pull numbers and select the gifts according to the number they have selected. When you open your gift, you can either keep it or exchange it for something someone else has opened. Wrapping in an attractive or deceptive way is part of the fun. New item are usually Christmas themed (ornaments, CD's, wine, gourmet food).

Select used things very carefully, as they should be funny. (Two good examples I've seen in recent years - a talking fish phone, still in it's box and a "chips and salsa" Mexican sombrero set - colorful and tacky. A bad example - a blue soft toilet seat cover :-)

Have fun! SusanEva

SandyBrit Dec 3rd, 2005 11:11 AM

Thanks very much Fodors friends for lots of great information.

I have decided to make a decision based on DH inquirying as to the expectations of the group hosting the party.

Any one else care to comment.

Sandy

ElendilPickle Dec 3rd, 2005 03:56 PM

>>A bad example - a blue soft toilet seat cover<<

Oh my word, SusanEva - we've been to the same gift exchange! :-D Mr. Pickle and I got one of these one year...

Lee Ann