Whistler or Jackson Hole?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2010, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

(Double posting in US and Canada forums)

I'm planning a birthday (one of the big ones!) trip for my husband for January-February timeframe 2011. He'd love a nice ski trip. I think I've narrowed it down to Whistler or Jackson Hole, but would be open to other suggestions as well. A little bit about us:

We're intermediate skiiers, not interested in anything too crazy on the slopes! We've experienced one ski in/ski out resort in the past and loved the convenience. Something similar would be a plus. We don't get to ski too often so we can't do 5 days straight and are looking for a location with alternate things to do - other outdoor activities, spa, good dining options and maybe shopping. We'll be traveling without kids (yay!) so are willing to splurge on nicer acccomodations.

We haven't done much skiing out west so we'd love your input - many thanks!
Old Mar 29th, 2010, 09:37 AM

Whistler has more intermediate terrain than JH but Whistler's snow conditions are unpredictable (if you watched the Olympics this year, you know what I mean). Given your criteria, I'd stay at the Four Seasons at Jackson Hole.
Old Mar 29th, 2010, 09:39 AM

Not knowing your actually skiing ability I am not sure what to advise. Jackson Hole, in my opinion. is a very tough mountain. I have skied for forty years over most everything in the west and Jackson Hole is top of my tough mountains. While I enjoyed it many of the "immediate" skiers in our group did not. It is steep, and steeper. The green slope there would have a blue rating at many other resorts. Never been to Whistler so I cannot compare.
Old Mar 29th, 2010, 10:34 AM

Some additional thoughts -- AGF324, maybe you should describe the type of slope you prefer to ski on -- powder, completely groomed, un-groomed, slightly groomed, how comfortable are you with crud? moguls ?? Where was the one place in the west that you did ski? I am concerned when you state -- not too crazy, don't get to ski too often, haven't done much skiing, etc. Wonder if you are truly intermediate skis or just good, advance beginners who need to have well groomed slopes. In my opinion, well groomed slopes is not a hallmark of Jackson Hole.
Old Mar 29th, 2010, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback!

fmpden - you're probably correct that we're more advanced beginners! We've skiied at Vail and were comfortable on the intermediate slopes, if that helps. Decently groomed would be a good thing. Having done more East Coast skiing, we're used to ice, but don't love it!
Old Mar 29th, 2010, 11:01 AM

Unfortunately I think you may need to re-think Jackson Hole. If you were not a big fan of the back bowls at Vail, I don't think you will like JHole. Did you ski any of the bowl areas -- China bowl for example? The big, broad, well groomed, moderately steep blue runs of Vail do not exist at JHole. You should probably do some research, Ski Mag, etc., for JH. I am sure you can find some acceptable areas to ski at JHole but it would be much more limited than Vail or one of the other Colorado areas. For example, you would not be able to ride the gondola at JHole -- which would be one of the reasons for going to JH.
Old Mar 29th, 2010, 12:38 PM

Skied both areas. I agree that JH is really intended for those that are strong intermdiate to expert skiers. Other things to do in Jackson:
Yellowstone snowmobile touring! Highlight!
Daytrip on a tour of Grand Targee. Beautiful powder skiing mecca (made for intermediates!)

Whistler has it all. But can be dicy on conditions. Rain at base and snow at top!
Vancouver is a great stop-over town.

Need to do more research on what areas fit for your group. I would look into:
Aspen, colo
Breakenridge, colo
Park City, Utah

...to name a few.......

-john
Old Mar 29th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the continued suggestions!

bmw, we've been to Breckenridge and Park City previously (not skiing, unfortunately!) and just wanted to try someplace completely new. We may give Aspen another look. Thanks!
Old Mar 29th, 2010, 01:16 PM

Aspen (Ajax Mt) is a similar problem to JH. They do have a little green skid road that allows the celebrities to get off the mountain without embarrassing themselves too much. BUT Snowmass (part of the Aspen complex) is ideal for cruising. It is my favorite cruising mountain. Huge, long, wide open,easy blue runs. About 75%, 15% beginner, and 10% black. For cruising it doesn't get any better. And massive amounts of ski in/out lodging.
Old Mar 29th, 2010, 02:14 PM

Go to Whistler. Tons to ski, tons to do, tons of snow. This year was warmer than usual but this year was an El Nino year, which means, next year will not be. I do like Snowmass a lot as well, and Aspen is a fun town to stay in. There are free buses from Aspen to Snowmass, and of course you can stay slopeside in Snowmass as well), but staying in Aspen gives you better dining/shopping options. I don't think those resorts are better snow bets, so don't choose them for that. Look at how bad a season the Colorado resorts had this year, and last year wasn't great either.
Old Mar 29th, 2010, 02:49 PM

Christy1 -- what are you referring to??? Last year was one of our best snow years. This year is about average which is generally very good. And tomorrow am going skiing probably in fresh snow. And new snow is forecast for this week. I skied nearly every week in Jan and Feb and the only bad days was when it was snowing hard. So have no idea where you get the idea that it was bad last year and not great this year.

When Whistler was having all those problems in February, Colorado was excellent. You must work for the Utah Snow commission.
Old Mar 29th, 2010, 03:27 PM

Just as a follow along -- the local TV station just carried the monthly snow report. The snow totals are report according to areas called snow basins. The major ski areas in Colorado are in two basins -- one report 97% of normal and the other was 111%. Denver, itself is 8" above normal but no one skis in Denver. If you want dependable snow, Colorado is very dependable.
Old Mar 30th, 2010, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the continued feedback!
Old Mar 30th, 2010, 01:28 PM

When I suggested JH, I realized you were probably not advanced skiers but you appeared interested in doing more than skiing. IMHO, there's enough non-expert terrain at JH to keep you entertained "if you're not going to ski for 5 days straight".

As for Whistler, it's good choice too. I have had some excellent meals in Whistler. There are spas and it's a beautiful area (especially the drive between Vancouver and whistler). We've been to Whistler twice. On our first trip, our ski in/ski out accomodations were a joke because the bottom third of the mountain was mud and we had to download each day. We would have left for another resort that year but we were skiing with extended family. We tried Whistler again, and hit an epic snow year, with fresh powder every day for 10 days. Given the disparity between my experience with Whistler, I thought that a special trip without the kids warranted more of a sure thing so I suggested JH.
Old Mar 30th, 2010, 03:08 PM

fmpden--I have a ton of skier friends in CO--they tell me this is the worst year they can remember (same with UT, MT and WY friends). Base amounts have not been good all year, I've been seeing that on each ski area's website (I like to go on last minute trips so I check a lot!). I do know there's been snow this week, I've been hearing all about it from my grateful friends! I was at Snowmass last March and it hadn't snowed significantly in three weeks. It was ice then slush. The locals we talked to said yeah, not a great year. I loved the area, hopefully next time I go it will be better.

Whistler Olympic races were cancelled because of TOO MUCH snow on the course. Whistler's had 533" this year with a 145" base currently. It was Cypress Mt. that did not have enough, not Whistler.
Old Mar 30th, 2010, 04:59 PM

Gads fmpden!! Just when I was going to agree with you for once, you have to go and start your neverending dumping on Utah! Who do you work for the Colorado Visitor's Bureau?
You REALLY annoy me.

Now, AGF - I've skied all over the west too, including Whister/Blackcomb and the Banff areas. Whister does have a very low altitude base which is why it often rains. Nice part is (as the Olympics demonstrated) you can stay on the top half of the mountain all day and have much better snow. You can also ride the gondola down from the mid-way point. A lot of people do this because Whistler has a lot of vertical and it's a LONG run all the way down.

JH is a very tough mountain and has limited intermediate area. Steep, steep, very limited grooming, cliffs galore. As already mentioned, I agree a green at JH would be a blue most other places and a blue run = black. If you were only going to ski a couple days and would be happy on a handlful of runs, then it might be OK.

Both places are beautiful, incredible scenery, lots of other activities, great restaurants, etc. Perhaps flights and lodging costs will end up being your deciding factor. There are so many wonderful places to ski...I've never skied anywhere that I didn't have fun.
Old Mar 31st, 2010, 08:34 AM

There seems to be some misconceptions about Whistler Blackcomb. As a season pass holder I can tell you this that the weather as seen on the Olympics was a VERY rare occurance.

For weather in Jan / Feb you are getting the best time of year with powder days every day almost. The big thing about Whistler is the mountain has so much verticle that if you happen to get fog or poor conditions in one part you just go up or down to find the best. Somewhere at any point in time it has perfect conditions.

Whistler has a very large portion of blue runs of which most get groomed every day or at least every other day. Peak to Creek run goes from top of Whistler to bottom of side village and is the longest blue run in North America I believe (great ribs and wings at the bottom). There are central runs that keep you close to on hill lodges that tend to be busy or you can go to the more remote areas and never see a line up. For the beginner to intermediate this is an excellent place to go.

I can't say anything about Jackson but Whistler is awesome. As well as skiing/boarding there is plenty to do in a world class village. I would say the only downfall is there are not many ski/ski out hotels. However most are a 5-10 min walk from the bottom.
Old Mar 31st, 2010, 11:30 AM

"not a great year" for locals is VERY different for those of us who travel to the snow. It has been fine. And last year was phenomenal. Maybe all your friends are powderhounds.
I LOVE Jackson Hole as a place (not skied there and wouldn't at my level). I would think there are a lot of other places that would have a lot more to do and more convenient. Colorado skiing is awfully nice. What about Steamboat? And Aspen certainly has allthe terrain you need--stay at Snowmass and go to Aspen for the "activities". Ajax isn't an intermediate mountain either.
Old Mar 31st, 2010, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

You all are wonderful - thanks for the continued great feedback and suggestions!

Sounds like Jackson Hole is a must visit, but perhaps not for a ski trip given our experience level.

Any specific resort/hotel recommendations if we opted for Whistler or Aspen/Snowmass?
Old Apr 1st, 2010, 03:08 PM

O'... Dayle, what was in your kool aid??

.....start your neverending dumping on Utah!.....

Please, show me where I said anything about Utah. Anywhere. Better find you glasses.

By the way, I have skied a week each year for the past ten years in Utah. Is it my favorite place ?? -- NO -- but I go back every year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -