Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Which WIlliamsburg authentic" colonial restaurants and how far in advance to book?

Which WIlliamsburg authentic" colonial restaurants and how far in advance to book?

Old May 20th, 2006, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Williamsburg the last weekend of July. We will be with out 15 year old son. Any recommendations? From what I've come across, King's Arms, Christiana and Shields look good. Any comments on these or others. Also how far in advance do I need to make a reservation.

We will be there 3 nights. We'd like to eat in one of these types 1 night and elsewhere on the other 2. How's Pierce's BBQ? ANy good Italian in the area?

I am also considering the Hampton Inn & Suites Richmind Rd, any comments on that? I'd like to spend about $150/night on the hotel.
Old May 20th, 2006, 11:23 AM

If you are serious about "authentic colonial restaurants", I don't think you will find them if you are also looking for BBQ and Italian. I can't imagine what authentic colonial Italian would be.

Are you just looking for a good place to eat?
Old May 20th, 2006, 11:58 AM

MFNYC, Colonial Wmbg reinvented Shields Tavern into a coffee house with light fare in the evening. Of the remaining two Christiana Campbell's menu focuses on seafood (although not exclusively). The food is pretty good but pricey at both places. It's all about the atmosphere which is great in the evening.

I don't know how soon to book. I'd call the 1-800-HISTORY number and ask the reservations group. They're pretty reliable that way.

Pierces is great local BBQ. Very casual.

Sal's is a popular Italian place, pizza and pasta. Can't say how it compares to NYC Italian.

I'd recommend The Fat Canary (pricey and upscale) and The Blue Talon (not as pricey and a bit casual). They're both in Merchant Square next to the restored area. Great food at both. I'd book at the Fat Canary in June.

That HI and Suites is a good choice.

aileen, "Authentic colonial italian" food? Read a little more closely and I think you'll see what MFNYC means.
Old May 20th, 2006, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Aileen, if you read my middle paragraph it says I only want the colonial food for 1 of our nights there and was looking for other types of restaurants for the remaining 2 nights!

Thanks obxgirl. I gather any of the better colonial 'theme' places will be pricey but I thought it would be a fun experience while we are there.
Old May 20th, 2006, 12:50 PM

Ok, sorry, I didn't read close enough. It sounds as if you have been given some good choices. I have heard that Pierce's should be excellent .
Old May 20th, 2006, 12:53 PM

Oh yeah, it's definitely fun.

Since your son is older, recommend you make a late dinner booking. Summertime weekends are popular & busy and they try to maximize seatings.
Old May 20th, 2006, 03:49 PM

I agreewith going to the late seating. We had the earlier seating at Christiana's and we were definitely rushed by the waitstaff through the whole meal so they could get the late seating crowd in.
Old May 21st, 2006, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

How late for a 'late' seating? After 8? The more I read the more I am wondering, should we just do oone of these restaurants for lunch and splurge price-wise at a restaurant with better food?

Do we need lunch reservations if we are to go that route?