Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   which waterfalls? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/which-waterfalls-607038/)

jilkovina Apr 11th, 2006 03:15 PM

which waterfalls?

which one is nicer White waterfalls or Linville waterfalls.And how long is it take on Blue ridge parkway from Bryson city to Linville waterfalls?

glittergirl81 Apr 11th, 2006 03:19 PM

Linville Falls is really nice and there are alot of things to do on the parkway near that. I am not sure how long it takes to get there from Bryson City.

bob_brown Apr 11th, 2006 05:11 PM

Unfortunately, Linville Falls is quite a ways away from Bryson City.

The turn is at about mile 322, some 140 miles along the parkway from its terminus in the Smokies. To get there is a meandering route along the parkway or over the parkway and a combination of state and federal highways.

I suggest you get on the Parkway at Balsam Gap on Route US 74 and drive toward Mt. Pisgah Inn.

You will pass Looking Glass Rock.
A turn down the highway toward Brevard will take you past some falls.
There is a National Forest exhibition on the Cradle of Forestry.

If you wish, you could return to the parkway and continue on to Mt. Pisgah whitch takes you past Devil's Courthouse and some other fine viewing areas.

The restaurant to Mt. Pisgah Inn is above average for both lunch and dinner.

From there you could continue on past Asheville and visit the Folk Art Center which is known for its mountain crafts.

From there continue up the parkway to Mt. Mitchell. Past Mt. Mitchell you will come to Crabtree Meadows which is the site for Crabtree Falls.

It is a fairly good walk to the falls, and a little uphill coming out.

The falls are more of a lace cascade than a sheer drop.

I think that is about all you will have time for that day.

To get back to Bryson City, you could leave the Parkway in Ashville and return on regular highways. You could easily trace a route with a good road map.

That section of the Parkway is the most interesting, the highest, and the most spectacular to my eyes.

If you are going to be there about the 2nd week of June, the rhododendron should be blooming at Craggy Gardens, which is the first major stop after you leave the Folk Art Center.

To be honest about it, the waterfalls for me are a minor feature. None of them are huge, roaring torrents falling hundreds of feet into a foaming cauldron of a plunge basin.

I think Linville Falls are large enough to be interesting, as are White Water Falls. Let me suggest his web site:
http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/recreat...waterfalls.htm

You may want to head straight to Whitewater Falls and be happy with that visit.

dusty56438 Apr 11th, 2006 05:25 PM

I liked Whitewater Falls.

Here's another link;

http://www.ncwaterfalls.com/index2.htm

xrae Apr 11th, 2006 08:06 PM

Is the Parkway still closed in places? I've been all around the Parkway, but not actually on it in a long time, but I know some Western NC portions were closed for repairs last year.

xrae Apr 11th, 2006 08:09 PM

Also, <b>jilkovina</b>, if you click your underlined username at the top of the page, it will show you the topics you've posted in -- there is another lengthy thread about the Western NC waterfalls where many ppl have answered your initial inquiry. I know it's a pain to find your posts after they've scrolled off the first page of the forum.

Pat2003 Apr 12th, 2006 05:27 AM

I agree, Linville Falls is very far from Bryson City and there are so many beautiful waterfalls in between. Whitewaterfalls is gorgeous and if you are not a hiker, it is a short walk from the parking. Some waterfalls around Blue Ridge Parkway are easily accessible from the road such as Looking Glass on route 276, others require short walk but to many of them you need to hike. Get the book, North Carolina Waterfalls by Kevin Adams, if you want to visit some hidden places and have more time than a few minutes or hours to visit them. Last week we hiked to Raven Cliff Waterfalls in SC. It is a short drive from Brevard, NC on route 276 but it is at least 4.5 mile round trip hike. For those who want to see a three or four waterfalls in one trip I would suggest visiting DuPont State Forest. Hooker Falls is the most popular but in my opinion it is not really a waterfalls it is a cascade. Triple Falls and High Falls are very impressive and a short distance one from another.

http://www.dupontforest.com/attractions.asp

Bob, we had a great dinner at Pisgah Inn. My trout was delicious. Unfortunately, our lunch was very disappointing, actually it was so awful that we asked whether they have a different chef for dinner than for lunch. The answer was, yes. Nonetheless, the views from the restaurant and a leftover candy bar from our hike were sufficient substitutes for lunch.

'xrae, only one section of the BRP remains closed between miles 344-355 for tunnel repair. It suppose to be open April 29th. However there is one short section between miles 295-296 which is going to be closed for repair starting May 1st until August 25th

http://www.virtualblueridge.com/

xrae Apr 12th, 2006 07:56 AM

Thanks, <b>Pat2003</b>. I'm bookmarking that Parkway website!

Pat2003 Apr 12th, 2006 08:11 AM

xrae, did you hike lately to Max Patch? I thought I read your report recently but I can't find it. We are planning on hiking this part of the Appalachian Trail during our next trip to the area. Maybe in 3-4 weeks.

xrae Apr 12th, 2006 01:23 PM

<b>Pat</b>, if by &quot;hike to Max Patch,&quot; do you mean from the parking area, then yes, we did hike to Max Patch. ;)

We drove up there from home in East Tenn. It was a nice drive. We'd never have found it without a map. I'm not really a hiker so I can't answer questions about the AT, but I can give you info about the area.

- Rae

Pat2003 Apr 12th, 2006 01:34 PM

I just checked my &quot;North Carolina Waterfalls&quot; book and there are four falls listed near Bryson City. I don't know that area and the waterfalls listed but you may be interested in visiting Juneywhank Falls, Toms Branch Falls, Indian Creek Falls or Little Creek Falls. Near Cherokee you may visit Soco Falls, Mingo Falls, Flat Creek Falls, Chasteen Creek Cascade or Forney Creek Falls. Near Lake Toxaway the book lists 24 waterfalls, near Cashiers four waterfalls, in Highlands 14 falls. Brevard has 16 falls listed, Rosman 10 falls, Waynesville 14 falls. There are many more falls located not too far from Bryson City.

Pat2003 Apr 12th, 2006 01:43 PM

Rae, I would appreciate any details on the area and finding the trail. AT goes along Max Patch so you hiked on it. How did you find it? My husband and I heard from some hikers we met on one of the trails in Pisgah Forest that it is very hard to get to it. We'll be in the area in about 3-4 weeks and would like to hike there. I read description and the bolds and 360 degrees views sound very intriguing. We'll be coming probably on route I-40 from the Asheville/Brevard areas or maybe there is some more direct route. We have to consult the map. Do we need to go to Hot Springs? Did you stay there overnight? How far did you hike and how long? Thanks

mahoneycutt Apr 12th, 2006 04:11 PM

These directions to Max Patch seem accurate to me:

http://www.richmountainbound.com/Pag...irections.html

Hot Springs is ok (soaking in the hot springs, hiking on the AT, rafting) but I don't remember much about hotels/motels. From memory, I think they are mom&amp;pop motels that mostly cater to AT hikers.

Mike Honeycutt

xrae Apr 12th, 2006 04:40 PM

I've started a new topic for Max Patch.

Pat2003 Apr 13th, 2006 03:30 AM

Thank you Mike and Rae. I appreciate
Pat

Katie7 Apr 13th, 2006 04:27 AM

I recommend the book &quot;Hidden Carolina&quot; for the Asheville area. There are a few pages about waterfalls. One of our favorites was Pearson Falls-there are directions in the book. I got it at the library. Pearson Falls involves a very short, walk through the forest.

SAnParis Apr 13th, 2006 04:28 AM

There is a great cabin on a working farm not far from Hot Springs...Check out www.vrbo.com #69960. Not sure of the distance as when we were there in February it snowed, so it took a little while to get to Hot Springs (@ 20 mph), I am guessing it is 10-12 miles tops. There are a couple of other Hot Springs listings on there as well.

Pat2003 Apr 15th, 2006 10:48 AM

SAnParis, thanks for a tip about a cabin rental in Hot Springs. I have no idea when we would stay overnight there but I will keep this information in my file.

mahoneycutt Apr 15th, 2006 11:57 AM

If you go to Whitewater falls and are slightly adventurous, the Horsepasture river is nearby and has really nice waterfalls within a one mile, moderate hike.

Mike Honeycutt