Which United States cities have carnivals?

Old Apr 4th, 2021, 11:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which United States cities have carnivals?

Hello everyone,
United State is one of the richest and most powerful countries today.For many people, they look forward to once coming to United State to be able to travel and experience the life and culture here.I am going on a trip to United State, I don't know which states of United State have many festivals so I can come and experience the festivals, hope everyone can tell me.
Thanks everyone.
Old Apr 5th, 2021, 03:06 AM

interesting question. Of course, Mardi Gras/"Carnival" is best celebrated in New Orleans.
New York city has some Italian feast day celebrations.
Old Apr 5th, 2021, 05:07 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Will state fairs work?

https://www.vacationsmadeeasy.com/Th...inAmerica.html

Old Apr 5th, 2021, 06:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
State Fairs, even county fairs would be fun. Covid out a stop to all of these, but hopefully, they will come back next year. Fingers crossed.

Del Mar Fair is huge near San Diego. Mid State Fair in Paso Robles. Salinas Rodeo each July. Several Basque Festivals throughout the west with Boise Idaho having a very large one. Trailing of the Sheep in October in Idaho.
Old Apr 5th, 2021, 07:08 AM

Any city that is home to large ethnic communities will have festivals of varying sizes. In the greater Los Angeles area, there are the annual Native American Powwow, multiple Mexican and Armenian events, Nisei Week, Pacific Island Lotus Festival, and Korean, Italian, Irish, Greek, German celebrations and the County Fair. Add wine festivals, music festivals, food and agricultural festivals, surfing and other ocean competitions, and the Renaissance Fair. You could probably attend an event every week of the year.
Old Apr 5th, 2021, 07:09 AM

Good point about state fairs--or county fairs. Most are in the fall and they do give a real flavor of American life in many ways. Probably the Texas state fair would be a microcosm of the west. Our NC state fair is a good example of mabye the South.
we never missied our Miami County Fair in southern Ohio--Troy Ohio. Other county fairs in that area would be interesting for small town feel .
The fairs cover farming, baking, culinary items, maybe quilting in some areas. I imagine a fair in Amish country of Pennsylvania or even parts of Ohio would really be interesting.
Old Apr 5th, 2021, 10:13 AM

Every city has festivals. Let's see here in Seattle (Washington USA) there's...

Folklife music festival, Bumbershoot arts festival, SeaFair, Torchlight Parade, Fireworks on 4th of July and New Year's Eve. Plus as mentioned near limitless celebrations in various ethnic and neighborhood communities: West Seattle Summer Fest, Fremont Solstice Parade (the naked bike riders are always popular), Pride Parade, several Greek Festivals, Bon Adori, Juneteenth, and so on.
Old Apr 5th, 2021, 10:22 AM

Welcome OtisJohnson! Yes, Covid caused many to cancel but fairs and carnivals are ubiquitous. The city of Baltimore used to have a fabulous ethnic celebration. Speaking only for Maryland, here's a link: https://www.visitmaryland.org/articl...tage-festivals
D.C. Folklife Festival used to be very interesting. Please let everyone know how it goes.
Old Apr 5th, 2021, 12:03 PM

One really special festival would be Washington DC on July 4th especially if they still have the Festival of American Life--or some title like that. In the past it has celebrated a state and a Native American Indian tribe. Maybe sometone can comment on it and I'll do a search.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smiths...klife_Festival

Last edited by Gretchen; Apr 5th, 2021 at 12:06 PM.
Old Apr 5th, 2021, 12:28 PM

Most are in the summer and fall. I was just checking yesterday for a poster on another forum and in California many are coming back (Laguna Beach Pageant of the Masters and Sawdust, Vans Surfing Championship in Huntington Beach for example but do not yet have firm dates posted, attendance will be scaled back.
Old Apr 6th, 2021, 08:56 AM

Nwe Orleans

I believe New Orleans. It's a very festive city! But due to Covid, I would imagine a lot of festivals are cancelled.
Old Apr 6th, 2021, 08:58 AM

I think New Orleans and Mardi Gras is really the peak, I don't know of any other city that goes out like that for Mardi Gras. The DC summer mall folklife festival is very good. Then there is the spring Cherry Blossom Festival in DC, also, which has various Japanese displays. It's going on right now, I think, but with COVID, it's not the same, of course. So that's one in the Spring. I wouldn't go to it if the goal is to experience some great American festival, though.

If New Orleans doesn't fit at Mardi Gras, or is too much, Mobile AL has a big one, also, and so does San Diego. I think those are the best, from what I've read.
https://www.sandiego.org/campaigns/w...ardi-gras.aspx

For major music festivals, the New Orleans Jazzfest (in May, I think) is outstanding, and the Chicago Blues Festival is also. Now those are special to the US.

There is the hot air balloon festival in Albuquerque in the Fall.
https://www.visitalbuquerque.org/abq365/events/fall/

But I think what New Mexico is especially noted for are the festivals related to Native Americans, now those are unique, also.
https://www.newmexico.org/events/native-american/

So if I were a foreigner and wanted something really special in terms of American festivals, I'd pick either the Gathering of Nations or Inter-Tribal Indian ceremony in New Mexico, the Chicago Blues Festival and New Orleans Mardi Gras.
Old Apr 6th, 2021, 08:59 AM

Fedtivals

You have a lot of festivals in Seattle. I would think there aren't very many due to covid though.
Old Apr 7th, 2021, 02:47 AM

French Quarter Fest in NoLa (New Orleans). I flew to New Orleans, from Los Angeles, and attended regularly up until Corona. It's held in April. I had to cancel my hotel reservation for the 2020 fest.

The French Quarter Fest is not Mardi Gras as Mardi Gras is a few months prior to French Quarter Fest. I've also been to Mardi Gras which is great. This year folks decorated their houses in Mardi Gras style due to having to cancel all of the events and parades. A friend sent me the photos.

I prefer the French Quarter Fest which last 4 days and is non-stop music, food, and partying. Attached is some info from previous French Quarter Fests. After 4 days, one is beyond exhausted from running from concert to concert, eating too much, dancing in the streets and in clubs, and jumping in second lines. Boy, do I miss that exhaustion. Priceless.

https://www.offbeat.com/news/french-...r-fest-2018-3/

New Orleans French Quarter map

The New Orleans Second Line Parade is a Historical Tradition

Below is what the music line up looked like in 2018. Non-stop free music in the streets with stages set up throughout the French Quarter. I don't know when it will start back again, but I really miss it. Below is the printed French Quarter Fest schedule for a 5-year period. (2019: April 11-14) (2020: April 2-5) (2021: April 8-11) (2022: April 7-10) (2023: April 13-16)
https://www.nola.com/entertainment_l...4d69a0f68.html

There are a lot of music fests in NoLa throughout the year. Friends used to also fly there, from here in Los Angeles, and attend different ones over the decades. NoLa is a party and food city. Hopefully, it will make a come back.

Happy Travels!

Last edited by Guenmai; Apr 7th, 2021 at 02:54 AM.
Old Apr 7th, 2021, 03:58 PM
J62

A note about terminology. Where I come from a "carnival" is considered a small, travelling group of rides, food trucks, and games. They usually set up in a town park or field for a week, then move on to the next destination. Every small town USA is likely to have such a "carnival" at some point over the summer. As a kid, we loved going to the carnival, especially when we were old enough to go on our own...

Old Apr 8th, 2021, 10:47 AM

French Qtr. Fest

Looks like fun! Thanks for sharing the videos!

Lynn
Old Apr 8th, 2021, 11:56 AM

Video New Orleans Qtr. festival

Thought I'd share this video from New Orleans Quarter Fest....

Lynn

Old Apr 10th, 2021, 06:47 PM

Every state has festivals, but you'll have to look up calendars of events for the cities you're going to be in. In the South, most of our outdoor events are in the spring and the fall. Farther north, they have fairs and festivals all summer. For example, the big festival in Memphis, Tn is called Memphis in May, and features many events, but the biggest two are the music festival along the banks of the Mississippi River, and the Barbecue Festival, where people from all over the country come and compete for prizes for their barbecue. In Atlanta, there's the Dogwood Festival in April. It all depends on what you're looking for and where you are.

The other poster is right that "carnival" in the U.S. refers to a traveling amusement park with rides and games.
Old Apr 11th, 2021, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by ldatt22 View Post
Looks like fun! Thanks for sharing the videos!

Lynn

You're welcome. It's the best. Love it! And in general, it's a different kind of group of folks who attend French Quarter Fest compared to Mardi Gras. French Quarter Fest is more chilled out and an older group in general. My friend who lives down there and works at her husband's business which is walking distance from the action told me about it and mentioned that I really should try it out as she thought that I'd like it a lot. Well, I've been hooked ever since and have been flying there all the way from L.A.

Happy Travels!
Old Apr 11th, 2021, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by J62 View Post
A note about terminology. Where I come from a "carnival" is considered a small, travelling group of rides, food trucks, and games. They usually set up in a town park or field for a week, then move on to the next destination. Every small town USA is likely to have such a "carnival" at some point over the summer. As a kid, we loved going to the carnival, especially when we were old enough to go on our own...
That was also a carnival when I was a kid although I never lived in a small town. We used to go to the Pomona Fair here in Los Angeles County which is a huge carnival. We just call them fairs.

The OP first asked about carnivals and then also used the word festival in the same post. But, Mardi Gras in NoLa would be seen as a carnival as there are also carnivals of that type in places like Brazil and other such countries.

Happy Travels!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information