Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Which town is more friendly w/o a car, Laguna Beach or Newport?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2008, 04:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be staying with friends who live in Orange County and I want to give them a break and stay at a hotel one or two nights, possibly in Laguna Beach or in Newport. We won't have a car (friend will drop us off, and she does work in Laguna Beach but that isn't a factor).

Or is there somewhere else in this area? We like shops, the beach, restaurants, and this is in April.
Old Aug 1st, 2008, 05:15 AM

There are several hotels at Fashion Island across the parking lot from the mall. The mall has restaurants as well as shops. You can walk from these hotels to Balboa Island as well that has shops and restaurants.

Any of the downtown Laguna hotels are in walking distance to the shops and restaurants.

Both would be acceptable stays without wheels.
Old Aug 1st, 2008, 07:08 AM

The Hotel Laguna is right on the beach and is walking distance to shops, restaurants, etc. Laguna Beach is a very nice place to spend time in with gorgeous scenery and beaches. I hope you have fun! ***kim***
Old Aug 1st, 2008, 07:22 AM

When we visit this coastal area, Laguna Beach would be my choice because parking is so difficult there, we always just leave the car & walk to everything. Great small beach-town that has everything you mentioned - beach, shops, restaurants for a nice day visit.

And your friend works there...that must be tough!
Old Aug 1st, 2008, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Oh I know FlatFeat, a view of the ocean in Laguna Beach, real rough job she has.

Those are all nice suggestions, thanks!
Old Aug 1st, 2008, 08:38 AM

Laguna is a beautifully walkable town. There are many restaurants and shops, a movie theater with independent films, a good art museum, and many galleries.

http://www.lagunabeachinfo.com/

Heisler Park, along the beach, is such a beautiful stroll any time of day.

The first Thursday evening of the month is an "art walk" which is a lot of fun, with delicious snacks and talkative artists.

http://www.firstthursdaysartwalk.com/

Chose a hotel near downtown. I have stayed at several of them, and there are many good ones that are reasonable, especially at the time of year you'll be going. Rates are cheaper during the week.

Just walking the neighborhoods in Laguna is fun. Because of its history as an art colony, there are imaginative whimsical buildings.

Getting to Crystal Cove State Park would require a lift, or perhaps there is a bus, but it is a fun place to go, which I've just recently discovered. There are restored old beach cottages, and a fun restaurant.

http://www.crystalcovestatepark.com/

Newport is fine too, but not as walkable.
Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

So now my friend is recommending Dana Point. What is this town like? The Blue Lantern Inn looks really nice and is under $200 a night during the time I want to go. I can't tell if there is a beach nearby though, and how far it is. The Inn provides bikes.
Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 10:53 AM

I'd stay in Laguna as it is much easier to get around without a car and a fun place.