Which tide pool is best to see in Seattle?

Old Mar 20th, 2012, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which tide pool is best to see in Seattle?

We are headed to Seattle Saturday and want to see amazing tide pools. There are low tides at 1:30 pm or so during the weekend and weekdays.

Which beaches would be best for tide pools?
What days are the beaches less crowded?

thanks
Old Mar 20th, 2012, 07:01 PM

Tide pools are best on the ocean front, at least on the California coast. Seattle is not by the ocean, but by the ship locks you can see the fish ladder which might have salmon in it.
Old Mar 20th, 2012, 07:18 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
There are good tide pools around the north end of Discovery Park in Magnolia.

In March, the beaches are seldom crowded.
Old Mar 21st, 2012, 04:41 AM
Original Poster

"Seattle is not by the ocean..."
Hmm...Lots of ocean surrounds Seattle last time I was there. I did get to a small park with tide pool, but heard there are better.

Where is parking for Discovery Park?
Old Mar 21st, 2012, 06:30 AM

Where is parking for Discovery Park?

Several lots, all of them a mile or so from the beach/tidepools.

http://www.seattle.gov/parks/parkspa...rypark/FAQ.pdf
Old Mar 21st, 2012, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

which beach? Looks like there is access on the north side of the park and the south side...

thanks
Old Mar 21st, 2012, 05:05 PM

Really sugest you look at a map; you are confusing a large body of salt water with the Puget Sound.

Seattle is not surronded by the ocean: it is on the Puget Sound which is salt water BUT NOT the ocean...the ocean is on the West Coast a good 4 hour drive or more depending on North or South route with the Olympic mountains in between.
Old Mar 21st, 2012, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

Not confusing anything at all...Ocean enough for me.
Old Mar 21st, 2012, 06:18 PM

which beach? Looks like there is access on the north side of the park and the south side...

Once again, There are good tide pools around the north end of Discovery Park in Magnolia.
Old Mar 21st, 2012, 09:40 PM

Have you checked the tide tables? What day are you going? I assume you know that the tides vary each day. Best to go on a day that is a super low tide and you will see a lot more. Here is a link to a web site for tide tables.
http://www.saltwatertides.com/dynami...gtonsites.html
. You might also try contacting a naturalist at Discovery Park and ask them directly. Yo can google discovery park easily and get their contact information, directions to parking, etc right there. Have fun
and remeber to not pick up any critters nor harrass them.
Old Mar 21st, 2012, 10:32 PM

Also, check out the seattle aquarium on line and see if it suits you. Dont have to wait for low tide and it is by pike place market.
Old Mar 22nd, 2012, 07:41 PM

Not confusing anything at all...Ocean enough for me.

Salty enough, I guess. Would the Great Salt Lake qualify as an ocean?
Old Mar 22nd, 2012, 09:51 PM

No, but perhaps inland sea !
Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 07:52 AM

perhaps inland sea

Is it the fact that it's salty or that it does not drain that makes a lake a sea? It's not the size because there are many lakes that are bigger than the Great Salt Lake or the Dead Sea.
Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 08:57 AM

Puget Sound has tides. There are rock pools along some of its shoreline that fill and drain with the tides. Ergo, there are tidepools.
Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 03:12 PM

I get the point about "Ocean Enough for Me". But, it just isn't the same. You might even find some tidepools, but you are confused whether you think so or not.
Heck you might as well go deep sea fishing and whale watching right there too. Maybe take a cruise.

To me, this would be like someone flying into Denver, strapping on a pair of skis and ski in Denver. Certainly possible, but certainly isn't the same as driving a couple of hours to one of the ski resorts and skiing there.
Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 03:40 PM

Go to oCEAN SHORES, or Iron Springs, and buy a tide table (at any store or gas station) and wait. We have a beach house in the San Juan islands where we are at present and it is 4:45 p.m. and the tide is almost in...great site..tide pools, what do you need them for?
Old May 7th, 2012, 07:54 PM

BELOW IS AN ARTICLE THAT LIST LOCAL SEATTLE BEACHES KNOWN FOR TIDE POOLS... and Seattle has WHALES and CRUISES as well

By Janila Cox
Special to The Seattle Times

THE SEATTLE AQUARIUM'S annual program, which runs from May through July, sends crews of mostly volunteer naturalists to act as marine-life guides for beach-park visitors during low tides in late spring and early summer, when daytime tides are the lowest of the year.

Locations: Each year, naturalists are dispatched to nine local beach parks: South Alki, Carkeek Park, Lincoln Park, Golden Gardens, Richmond Beach, Des Moines, Seahurst, Olympic Sculpture Park and Redondo Beach.

Schedules: Days and times vary but are generally early in the week around midday. This year, the last chance to catch them will be July 19-21.

Every late spring and summer, when low tides lift the curtain on Puget Sound's hidden wonderlands, these naturalists help grade-schoolers mix it up — delicately, of course — with marine life.

173 mostly volunteer naturalists fan out along nine beaches in Seattle and King County, including those at South Alki, Carkeek, Richmond Beach and Golden Gardens parks. With their guidance, kids and adults alike wander the shores in search of creatures that dwell in rocks, tide pools and little-known nooks and crannies of Puget Sound.

The aquarium's program runs from May through July, when low tides occur by day, versus the nighttime low tides of fall and winter months.

The naturalists, with their identifying vests, carry laminated pamphlets and cards showing animals that might be seen.

Puget Sound's diversity of animals is compelling, naturalists say, because there are so many creatures to see. Some are easy to spot while others are carefully tucked away from the world.

Copyright © 2009 The Seattle Times Company
Old Jun 13th, 2015, 03:57 PM

You know how some people just log in to Forums to contradict people instead of answering the question?... Trolls... Puget sound is a Bay of the ocean. It is ocean. No, it's not as clean as outside the bay, and some animals don't come inland, but it IS ocean. There are whales in the sound... and anemones and crabs and fish and other cool animals that live in tide pools... in the ocean.

So to answer the original question, even though it's 3 years old, Carkeek Park also has some good tide pooling... Just in case anyone else comes across this mostly useless thread.
Old Jun 15th, 2015, 11:38 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Welcome to Fodor's (I_live_by_the_ocean). It's always nice to have new posters join in the fun.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -