Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Which Theme Park? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/which-theme-park-332739/)

fritzi Jul 1st, 2003 07:20 AM

Which Theme Park?

Our children are 10, 7 and 3. Which of these parks would be a better match: Busch Gardens Williamsburg, Kings Dominion, Hershey Park or Six Flags America? We will be traveling in all those areas and want to stop at one of them, but can't decide which one. We are already forcing our two oldest to live through Sesame Place for the 3 year-old, but want a visit for them, too. Help!

wendy_wetson Jul 1st, 2003 07:37 AM

Skip Six Flags if it's the one in Jackson, New Jersey. It's a hangout for some very loud and rowdy young people who come in from various boroughs of the city. Long before 9/11 they were checking for weapons before you entered the park, and guests traveling on buses were warned that fights would not be tolerated. Busch Gardens in Williamsburg is a great choice for roller coaster fans.

bennie Jul 1st, 2003 08:07 AM

I've been to Busch Gardens Williamsburg and Hershey Park. I like Hershey but I love Busch Gardens. My kids were 6 and 9 when we went to Hershey - they really liked it but they are easy to please. I thought BG was bigger, prettier and better maintained. Your kids won't be disappointed with either.

fritzi Jul 1st, 2003 08:08 AM

I was thinking of the Six Flags in Maryland near DC, not the one in Jersey. Thanks for that tip, though, it sounds like one to skip.

Anonymous Jul 1st, 2003 08:30 AM

Like bennie, I've been to Busch Gardens Williamsburg and Hershey Park, and my kids and I also preferred the former. I believe that it regularly wins awards for its landscaping/gardens.

hotdogz Jul 1st, 2003 03:10 PM

Over the years we've taken our kids to all 4 of these. Six Flags America does not have nearly as many rides and attractions as the others - I'd cross that off the list. Any of the other three would be good - it's really hard to pick

I agree that for an adult Busch Gardens is a prettier park, but many kids probably don't care about the landscaping at all (mine wouldn't).

Kings Dominion has:
1. Large "water park" inside the park
2. Nickelodeon themed area/characters
3. Pretty good area for kiddie rides
4. Convenient access off I-95

My 10 year old just walked in the room and I asked her which was her favorite and she said Hershey Park (probabaly because that is the one we went to last year and is freshest in her memory).

Birdie Jul 2nd, 2003 06:57 AM

Hershey Park has a lot of roller coasters and water rides within the park but I think your kids would prefer Busch Gardens considering their ages. There seems to be a better mix of rides, shows, and attractions for the different ages.

Edye Jul 2nd, 2003 07:28 AM

Hershey Park is much closer to Sesame Place than Busch Gardens. There is a big difference between a 1 1/2 hour ride (Hershey to Sesame)and a 5-6 hour ride (BG to Sesame). Kids also like the whole Hershey element aka chocolate world. Also Hershey has an adjacent arena that has decent concerts, it's worth it to check their show schedule and see if maybe there is a family concert worth seeing. Don't rule Hershey out; it's a really well run and fun park, especially if you like coasters. 6 Flags in MD is not a worthwhile option.

wendy_wetson Jul 2nd, 2003 10:19 AM

Did anyone else see the news report last night on the Six Flags in Maryland where
(I think) 60 people were trapped for 2
hours on one of those monster roller coasters that stalled? Luckily, no one was injured and the people involved remained calm.

Bill_I Jul 2nd, 2003 12:15 PM

We were at Busch Gardens & Kings Dominion the week of June 13. We have also been to America a couple of years ago(in Largo,MD). My kids are boys 15, & 11 & really like coasters & rides. While we like all the parks, our favorite seems to be King Dominion. It is a very pretty looking park, especially when you view it from the top of the scale Eiffel tower. There are a lot of roller coasters, even a few good ones for the younger crowd. There are areas just for younger kids too, there is a Nickelodeon area, & if you go there, be sure to go to the 3D Sponge Bob Squarepants showing. We all liked it, including the 15 year old.
(At Busch Gardens, the supposedly 4D Haunted lighthouse & Corkscrew tower were also excellent.) The park food was the best at Busch Gardens & not too bad at Kings Dominion. & as stated by somebody else KD is easy access off of I-95. When in Williamsburg, I wished we would have had more time for the Colonial sites in the area rather than spending more time at Busch. There is so much more to do in the DC area if you have not been there before. I would probably spend extra time in Baltimore before going to 6Flags America. Hersey Park will be in the future for us, so can't help you there. My suggestion would be Kings Dominion.

reneeinva Jul 8th, 2003 08:53 AM

We live in Williamsburg and have season passes to Busch Gardens. Our 7 year old and 3 year old LOVE it!! We go probably once a week and they never grow tired of it!

barb72560 Jul 8th, 2003 01:26 PM

I recently took my neice and 2 nephews to Six Flags America. The kiddie area is very small (8-10 rides) and my 6 year old nephew who is pretty big for his age couldn't get on some of the water rides or roller coasters. Also the evening crowd can get "rough" looking. We went to Hersey several years ago and everyine had fun, and at least you can tour the Amish country ,etc

JoyinVirginia Jul 8th, 2003 04:43 PM

We have had season passes to both KD and BGW in the past. I would vote for Kings Dominion if I had to pick one. There is a terrific little kid area, plus a Nickelodeon area with rides all the kids can ride. The water park area doesn't open until about 12 Noon, so bring your bathing suits and towels, leave them in the car, ride rides, then go to the parking lot to get your swimming stuff. I really like the Wild Thornberries Cafe, it is a cool oasis with quiet African music playing. You can eat cheaper by bringing a picnic lunch or driving to the Burger King across from the park, then coming back (your parking fee is good for reentry during the same day). BGW also has lots of kids rides, is definitely the best landscaped, and has a bounce ticket good for BGW and Water Country available. Check your credit union or AAA for discount tickets. Have fun!