Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Which state? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/which-state-14781/)

Marlayne Jun 4th, 1997 06:31 PM

Which state?

A friend and I are interested in moving to the US for a year to work. We are both physical therapists and so the job market is pretty good in most states, now we just have to choose one. We are both very interested in outdoor activities (possibly near the ocean, likely East vs West). We want a place with a relatively low crime rate, a city of about 300,000 or less but close to a larger centre. Possibly a University town. We're not very picky. Any info on possible cities or states would be appreciated.

Robin Singer Jun 5th, 1997 07:19 AM

I would have to say it sounds like California is your best bet. I don't know the size of San Diego but its supposedly awesome there. If you both want a lot of outdoor activity, the climate there will suit you year round (even ifyou like skiing, the mountains are nearby).

On the east coast, I would recommend Charleston, South Carolina. It's a beautiful place and nice climate too (but a lot hotter and more humid, ofcourse than anywhere in CA).

Beth Jun 5th, 1997 11:11 AM

How about Oregon? Portland is a great city, but larger than 300,000. Smaller cities a few hours south...Albany, etc. You'd have coast, mountains, Columbia River Gorge, desert (east of the Cascades), Mt. Hood.

On the east coast, Richmond or Charlottesville, Virginia might be worth checking out. Both have regional medical centers and are reasonably close to mountains and coast (plus DC not far away).

Simrin Jun 5th, 1997 09:15 PM

Berkeley, California is a nice University town and close to San Francisco which has one of the best medical schools in the U.S. The weather's very nice and the whole Bay Area is a nice place to live in.

Elizabeth Jun 9th, 1997 10:28 AM

All of you must be crazy! California has alwys had
the highest number of crime rates ever. More than NC
has ever had in its whole time being a state and its
been a state longer than CA! Plus, hello?! Doesn't anyone read the news? San Diego has the worst problems with crime. NC's coast, Wilmington, is def. the best place to live. In fact, I would says its in the top Ten. It doesn't have to many people, it has lots of stuff to do, and it has barely any type of crime rate. Plus, its close to Raleigh, where I live, which has been names the Top Ten places to live in the Us, by Money Magazine. Def. Wilmington , is the place to go. I love it there. Palm trees, beach houses .. and you will even see Movie Stars there as they have their own Movie Studio ( the largest on the East coast). If I could live there, I would pick it out of anything. So, whatever you choose I hope your very happy and love it here in the US.

Elizabeth Jun 9th, 1997 10:29 AM

By the Way, Wilmington, is home to UNC-W. A real good school for business, arts.. etc

Elizabeth Jun 9th, 1997 10:35 AM

I am sorry. I will stop writing. Just one more thing. I can't stop writing because there is so much to tell about NC! Well, NC is one of the best states for Medical and Science research. In Fact, my mom works at a Hospital for Cancer Research here in Raleigh. Raleigh is known for good studies in Science and Research. And for computer research. UNC- CH , State U. in Raleigh... etc . are real good schools to work for the medical pro. Oh, and how nicer can you get then good ol' Southern Hospitality? We, Southerners, are as nice as they get. Thanks :)

Simrin Jun 9th, 1997 06:49 PM

Oh, yes, I have definitely changed my mind. NC is the best place to be. Not only is it teeming with Southern hospitality, it is by far the most racially tolerant state in the U.S. If you see Raleigh, drop by Senator Helms' place; he loves meeting people of all different nationalities, colors, etc. And it's true... NC has a lower crime rate than CA, but I think NC has CA beat in the lynching category. Have fun!

R. Kohout Jun 25th, 1997 10:56 AM

Madison, Wisconsin!
University, 150,000 pop, near Milwaukee and Chicago, Wisconsin out-of-doors is top notch. Low crime. Winters are a great experience for anyone.

linda Jun 25th, 1997 11:14 AM

Corpus Christi, in south Texas, is a beautiful little city. We are right on the Gulf coast, have a well-known universtity, Texas A&M,lots of friendly people and we would love to have you!

Donna Jun 25th, 1997 08:56 PM

We live in Nashua, NH which is #1 (for the second time) on Money Magazine's list of best places to live. It's only an hour drive to downtown Boston, which is full of cultural activities and very highly rated hospitals. Salaries are quite high in the Boston metro area, jobs are plentiful right now, and rental properties and real estate offer excellent value for the dollar in southern New Hampshire. From Nashua, you can go to the ocean (an hour and a half drive), beautiful Lake Winnipesaukee (about one hour), the White Mountains (two hours) or the Green Mountains of Vermont (3 hours). The fall foliage is absolutely splendid. Some years there is more snow than others, but the snow removal is so efficient this is usually a minor inconvenience. If you enjoy skiing of course the more snow the better! The four seasons are splendid!

Kevin Keith Jul 8th, 1997 06:36 AM

OK...I'd have to agree with either New Hampshire or South Carolina (Charleston). New Hampshire is beautiful and located near Vermont (also very beautiful and friendly people). It is also advantageous because NH is near many sophisticated big cities...such as Boston and New York (I live in New York City, which I think is fantastic...and, if you haven't heard lately, has become one of the more safer big cities in the world!!). Basically, it's up to you. I am a native Southerner from Atlanta, but my family is from Charleston, which is also a great small city. Charleston is very nice and located centrally to Florida and the Carolinas. Nice weather most of the year, though hot in summer. The people there are also very warm and sincere. Good luck!!

KEVIN

Audrey Jul 8th, 1997 06:59 AM

I live in southern New Hampshire too, and I agree that the Nashua area would be a very good choice. I have two nursing-student friends from Ireland who are doing a 3-month placement in the Northampton/Amherst/Springfield area of Massachusetts, and they are very happy there (lots of colleges and young people).

gretchen Jul 8th, 1997 10:43 AM

whatever you do, don't go to connecticut or long island - i'm leaving to go to san fran, but i hear north carolina and georgia are also very pretty and you can always find a decent college town in any shoreline state (except ct, it stinks).

Sammy Redd Jul 8th, 1997 11:09 AM

San Francisco is definitely the place to be. Fantastic weather year round, beautiful vistas, interesting people. As with most larger cities, crime is a problem in some neighborhoods, but for the most part, you have to be looking for trouble to find it. One caveat: housing market is outrageously expensive and a decent apartment is very difficult to secure on short notice. Cost of living generally is one of the highest in the U.S. But, as with everything else in life, you get what you pay for!